2014 Best of Montana 1000

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Timmer, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Stovebolt

Stovebolt Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer:
    PM sent... to Jonz and "Team Hibachi."

:freaky

Stovey

2. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:
    Looking to set each camp at an "official designated campsite" every night which means even if there are fire restrictions, camp fires in designated campsites and designated fire pits are exempt. Cook on!
  3. Stovebolt

Stovebolt Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer:
    Ron is cooking up another great route!

:pot

bwaahahhahaha....

A masterful pre-planner in action. (Eureka fire sucked a chub last season, didn't it?)

Rally on,

Stovey
  4. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    Yes, there is such a thing as toooo much fire.
    Gravellys BOM 2013
    [​IMG]
  5. idabeemerboy

idabeemerboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the first part of this thread, you said Toy, ID...so which Troy is it? Tom and I are looking at this ride, two-up on the GSA. I would love it!! A chance to use our jet boil!!:clap
    Sue

QUOTE=Timmer;23239871]For planning purposes, let's use Saturday, July 26 from Troy,MT into the great unknown through Friday, August 1 which will give the weekend to get home. Ron and I have been talking about stringing ghost towns together in a more easterly direction. How's the dates sound?

Tim in Burien, Wa
    Sent from Tapatalk using my iPad mini[/QUOTE]
  6. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    The start will be in Troy, MT. This will not be a "loop" ride. The "official" end will NOT be in Troy. Obviously, getting to the start and departing the group will be an individual choice and will extend everyone's adventure.

For anyone hauling bikes and rigs to the Best of Montana, we can help by providing suggested routes, locations for parking etc.
  7. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]

OK, that is great to hear that you and Tom will be on this ride.

Tim...any guess the approx. location where we will be on Aug 1?

I plan to take two days to get to Troy MT, and with guidance from Sue/Tom to take at least the Lolo dirt into MT, and then drift North to Troy hopefully on dirt...

It does not really matter to me where it starts or ends cuz I will start and end in Enterprise... and I have no time table....it is all good.

Phil
  8. Robert_W

Robert_W Giant Douche / Turd Sammich - 'Murica F' Ya Baby!

Oddometer:
    Can't help but chime in here. Troy MT is where I live. There are endless great off road opportunities up here. And the pavement ain't bad either. :D

I know this area quite well guys. If I can be of help with any info or any one is looking for some great accommodations ...check out my sig.

Happy to answer any questions. :1drink
  9. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    This is gonna be great.
  10. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    Robert, expect a PM before long on the "road opportunities". I have a good handle on the route in general, but we are always looking to improve the final drafts:evil

Also, do you know of any locations for those trucking/trailering to the start could safely leave vehicles?
  11. Robert_W

Robert_W Giant Douche / Turd Sammich - 'Murica F' Ya Baby!

Oddometer:
    No problem. We've got lots of room. If they aren't staying with us we can put trucks and trailers at our fly shop for a few days. Very safe area. We leave all of our equipment out all summer long. Never had an issue in 13 years. Troy is the kind of place that we leave our keys on the dash when we run into the grocery. Haven't locked my house in years. Makes for a great jump off area.. We're located right at the corner of Hwy 2 & 56.

If folks are in need of lodging before and or after there is also lots of room on our guest property to park rigs. Also very safe. Looks like lots of folks camping during the ride but we can sure provide real nice lodging that would be great before or after. I know I like a hot shower and bed after a few days riding / camping.

As for pavement the Yaak Valley loop up and over and then down Koocanusa reservoir is a great run.

As for dirt...geez...where to start! More forest service roads and runs than I can think of.

You guys can PM me or feel free to give me a call. All of our contact info is in those links.

BTW...I've got some great camping info and maps on our site. If you guys are looking for something specific camping wise give me a shout.
  12. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a nice offer, Robert.
  13. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    Tim...any guess the approx. location where we will be on Aug 1?

Phil[/QUOTE]

Tim is still wandering around the South Pacific...New Zealand or OZ...not sure. Catches the Internet occasionally.

We are still refining the route, but it looks like we may be somewhere between the Montana border, Stanley, McCall (ID) in that time frame. Actually, an excellent end scenario for you.

Ron
  14. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Tim is still wandering around the South Pacific...New Zealand or OZ...not sure. Catches the Internet occasionally.

We are still refining the route, but it looks like we may be somewhere between the Montana border, Stanley, McCall (ID) in that time frame. Actually, an excellent end scenario for you.

Ron[/QUOTE]

Thanks that indeed does make my planning easier...it is 523 miles from where I live to Troy MT [via Lolo], ....so this is going to be a two week trip for me...I like to wander, so all is good!:D
  15. idabeemerboy

idabeemerboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tom and I were wondering how dedicated you are to July 26? We will not be able to make that date, but we could go a week earlier. If it does t inconvenience anyone else, what would be the chance of you doing it a week sooner? We would really like to go, but Tom is going to a car show in Yakima to drag race his '46 ford coupe and needs to be there on Thursday after the weekend of the 26th. So...?? Anyway, like I said...if it doesn't put anyone else out....?
    Sue
  16. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the shameless promotion dept, I've finally started posting photos from the 2013 ride on the ".....goes down in flames thread". Dave
  17. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't wait!

Been googling Montana for two weeks. After living in Washington for 45 years, it will be a thrill to explore so much of a beautiful neighbor. I still remember the Montana State both at Expo 74 in Spokane. They had their own song…."Montana, Montana, land of the Big Sky Country…

Troy is a terrific choice to begin the odyssey.

And any ride with the dammitdave stamp of approval has got to be good!

I even bought the GPS that Garmin made just for people traveling in Montana.
  18. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your work on this!

Would it be possible to show/describe the "route in general"? Might help inmates (including me) provide suggestions if will touch an area we are familiar with?
  19. Watercat

Watercat . . . gravity sucks

Oddometer:
    Hiya Dave . . . . . :wave

It's not a shameless promotion unles you post a link.:deal

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=912458

:ricky

Will probably ride the V-Strom again if I can keep the luggage from falling off . . . . .:rofl . . . . . Probly go up 2 or three teeth on the rear sproket tho.
  20. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    Sue,
    It would be rough to change the date now. I know of some that have already put in for time off based on that date. Also, I would not be able to make the ride a full week earlier, but it certainly isn't about me. (Committed to dog watching while my lady is on a girl's cruise). Timmer posted the date as soon as possible and we haven't heard any other requests, thus far.

MoonDoMT,
    I need to confer with Timmer a bit more before I'm ready to release the basic route. Expect some PM after a bit.

I can say we are on track with our intent to change this Year's ride to a more north to south focus and some really new country for the MT1000/Best of Montana series. I think everyone has caught on it will start with a run to a major national park. And I think there may be some more Idaho somewhere down the route. We will be interested in some localized input that could enhance the ride (or even provide some localized optional alternatives for those that would like a little extra challenge.) I know we won't make an absolute final version (including GPX files) until much closer to July to allow for some feedback and input once we post the general route, but it wouldn't be fair to make major changes close to the date either. The "1,000" in the title may be a little understated.

Also, so far I would say there will be some interesting and attractive possibilities to tie to the front end, and especially after the formal end, allowing extension of adventure to those so inclined.

Ron

PS. Watercat, I'll be sure to bring plenty of extra rope:evil