Rev-It Sand 2 anyone?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by burmbuster, Jan 31, 2013.

1. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone purchase the Rev-It Sand 2 yet? Looks really well made.
  2. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    Just looked. The Sand shell is all nylon, and according to Revzilla the Sand II shell is about half polyester. Disappointed. It wouldn't surprise me if polyester fabrics can be made that provide abrasion protection. But I associate it with low end gear that doesn't protect well. I guess I'd like to see a CE rating. Or at least abrasion test results.

I like my Sand jacket a lot. But don't want to upgrade. Yet anyway.
  3. ranmafan

ranmafan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Careful what you wish for.

4.0s is needed to pass L1 (only the abrasion part of it, that is).

500D Cordura: 0.78s in a similar test. Granted, there's probably some variability in these results, but it's still ridiculously poor.
  4. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats inetersting. Thanks for sharing. My current set-up is Olympia Air jacket and Ranger pants. I have had a few spills and both held up really well. But I will add that it was below 45 mph. The hard part for me, when it comes to gear, is it MUST breath. I live in the deep south where you can cut the humidity with a knife. So no Gortex allowed.
  5. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    Interesting results. I'd like to see what they did.

The Sand has a few panels that are really thin. Hopefully they're in non-critical areas. Inside of the arm, and some of the side of the body below the arm pit above the hip. That's the only part of the jacket I could imagine being barely better than 501 jeans for abrasion protection.

Even so it's a little disappointing. But maybe the gear is OK anyway? Similarly if the polyester panels in the new jacket are non critical maybe that's OK too. But 52% seems like a lot.
  6. AceRider01

AceRider01 Fully Loaded

Oddometer:
    the issue of saying that I or a mate survive a ???mph crash and the gear is hardly scratched is that every crash's dynamic is different and therefore outcome different. Hence you need a standardised test to compare certain aspects of different gear.

a few years ago i sustained a low side coming out of corner at 35mph ( i looked as i went down) - i worn only a cheap jacket with double panel of 500D "ballistic nylon" and a pair of $20 cheap and flimsy jeans -guess what the arm area worn right through and i sustained minimal damage to arm and my cheap jean doesnt even have a hole - but i got a thumb size friction burn which took over 3 weeks to scar and another 3 weeks to heal - go figure - but no way i would be wearing that $20 jean again though.

RiDE UK magazine is probably one of the most trusted source for gear testing, just about all the test are conducted by SATA ( an official CE testing lab) using CE tyoe methods. What's important is not the absolute figure but how each garment compare to the rest.

Lets not forget some of the riders who sustained serious injuries or worse may have quit motobiking altogether and therefore not here to share their results
  7. Ape76

Ape76 Gear whore

Oddometer:
    The leather gear I tried on from Rev'it seems well made but I"m both concerned and disappointed in the Sand trousers. Why would the charge so much if 50% is polyester...? :huh
  8. AceRider01

AceRider01 Fully Loaded

Oddometer:
    good looking fashion model?! the actual difference in cost of material to the final price is tiny - the rest is paid to transport, MARKETING and shareholders pocket.
  9. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Polyester or polyamide?

There is a big difference.

Edit: Ugh.....yeah just double checked...polyester. has polyester advanced like the nylon yarns ?
  10. ranmafan

ranmafan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Personally, I couldn't care less what they use, as long as it works.

Whatever shite they dug up this time, however, is clearly inadequate, even for non-critical areas (1.0 second).

EDIT: Someone asked above - here's full text of EN13595-1 with the overview of the testing methods (more details are in 13595-2 and -3).
  11. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Waaayy too many logos and Rev'it branding on it.
  12. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe Klim is more your speed. :lol3

Personally, I didn't think so...a triangle logo thingy on each arm and the back (to be expected...branding is branding) and then some "REV'IT!" print on the sleeve and chest....

Perfectly within the limits of my acceptability. To each their own...
  13. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha! I thought the exact same thing. The only other brand to have their logo plastered on their gear more than Klim is Icon. I get the material concerns but that one made no sense. Especially from a Klim owner.:lol3
  14. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about logos. They is what they is...make your decision based upon fit and quality of construction.

I am curious about Rev'it sand 2 being made out of polyester...a bit odd as the rest fo the market for higher end stuff is all nylon 6.6 or some variation of polyamide.

As for quality construction, I can only base my opinion on my wife's Rev'it Ventura, which is very similar in look and features to the sand 2. Her's is 99% polyamide (nylon) however....no 1970's polyester slacks going on here. Build-wise, its very good. Double bar tacking and double-row stitching in all the stress areas, good snaps and zippers...its as good as anything else out there.

The fit is what sold her....the olympia fit sucked and the Kilamanjaro was close to the Revit, but chincier feel in the armor. Pro Life armor in revit is nice stuff.

Spring snaps are a must.......we almost tore a new pair of Olympia pants in the showroom trying to undo a snap....had to get out the benchmade to pry it open. old school style snaps...
  15. Dr Klaun

Dr Klaun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those test results are interesting, but also keep in mind what the slide times mean. A 4 second slide seems like a looong time sliding down the road (pavement). Both of my low speed get-offs were probably under .5 sec's at the most. You could probably check the multitudes of idiots on the youtube crash vid's and see what their slide times are and see what level of gear would work.

As has been said many times, it all comes down to a balance of protection and comfort. For around town type stuff, impact with moderate abrasion protection would seem to be the priority as speeds tend to be lower. At track speeds you'd want a whole different level of protection.

I would guess that the "Sand 2" pants are designed for off road use, so not sure what the abrasion test is for gravel. Lots of off road stuff seems to be this way - just look at DS gloves! Wouldn't want to go down on pavement with those! I also agree that Revit stuff has been becoming "fashion before practicality".
  16. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't disagree with you , but it's kind of unsettling to know how little protection that premium over denim jeans is getting you,
  17. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think we all probably need to step back and remember that textiles are a complete compromise over leather when it comes to protection. Simple as that.

I was in the closet re-organizing the riding gear and pulled out the Spidi leather track jacket and pants I have...the butt on the pants is TWO layers of 1.2mm leather. When I compare it to my new RP3 suit, it was easy to see how the leather gear was specifically designed to slide down the tarmac at higher speeds and probably survive to a reasonable level.

I'm sure my RP3 and wife's Revit Ventura will be just fine for touring duty; what I gave up in skid resistance is gained in comfort, breathability, lightweight (sort of...maybe not if you count all that RP3 armor). You get the idea though.

How much are you willing to compromise? What is your riding style like? How much of a defensive driver are you? You touring - packing on heavy miles? What is your level of risk tolerance? Do you ride prepped for the crash or for the enjoyment of the ride?

Is it riding season yet? Snow's coming on Friday....I'm ready to cry.
  18. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well said. And you are correct. It's all a compromise. I would never get leather or Gortex simply due to the fact that I live in a really warm/hot climate. I need gear that breathes. I don't mind liners as they allow me to ride north of the Mason-Dixon and still keep me warm. Most don't like the hassle of liners but I like the versatility it offers. I presently have Olympia gear and it has been really awesome. I might just go with Olympia again. Maybe the Moto X.
  19. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hard to beat Olympia - rugged build and great prices. If it is comfortable and fits well, go for it...something to be said for staying with what you know.
  20. AceRider01

AceRider01 Fully Loaded

Oddometer:
    dont forget that # of seconds at the test lab is NOT the same of as # of seconds you would slide on the road before protection is gone - it depends on the initial speed and friction coefficient of the pavement at that time.

What it allows to do is to compare the relative performance of different garment under the same test condition - so with some confidence, you might say Revit Sand (ver 1) would perform approx 40% better than levi 501 in terms of abrasion resistance under the same circumstance.

Many people might be happy with the additional 40% performance premium over Levi 501. In comparison most half decent cheaper leather starts at about 3.5 sec or 550% better