What Bike Would You Absolutely NOT Buy?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by BeerIsGood, Feb 26, 2012.

1. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    Depends on the nature of the road. Tight twisty AND bumpy =650+ D.S. can easily win. Smooth and perfectly manicured with absolutely no debris of any kind = sport bike wins.
    Power is a great advantage but, on most roads in my State, you need the suspension, increased lean angles (without touch-down) and semi knobbies of a D.S. to dig down through pea gravel and find clean black-top to even be able to use the mild H.P. that a big single makes.
    ...all you'll hear behind you on most of Pennsylvania's tight twisties when a sport-bike is trying to keep up is the poor fucker losing power as his rear wheel keeps losing contact with the bumpy road surface as it skitters and also spits out pea-gravel because the tires and suspension are lacking the ability to put the power to the pavement.
    I'm sure in other States where the roads don't suffer from poorer surfaces, sport-bikes and their riders can whip some ass but, I've never seen it happen in Pa.
    On the other hand, those same riders (one of many which was my brother on his KLR vs his 750 Katana) could always keep up with me when riding their D.S. but, NOT when they were on their crotch rockets. (DR650's were always my D.S. Mount)
    B.T.W. The exception to my last statement were guys on sport-bikes that had LESS power like older FZR400's.
    There truly ARE situations where less is more.
    Why some guys can't accept that fact has always puzzled me:huh.
    I for one got into the D.S. scene after realizing that my 1100 Katana (despite its power and my skill level riding on it) was NOT the best vehicle for riding Pa's nasty ass roads. (which is where the fun is)

Y.M.M.V. but, things are not always as cut and dry as you might think they are.:ear

F.W.I.W. I still desire a modern GSXR750 just for the sheer hell of it but, in no way am I going to kid myself that it could be as fast on the roads I enjoy riding as a DR650 would be; unless I have someone give it 7 more inches of suspension travel to suck up bumps to deal with the increased lean angles needed to handle the tight, twisty, pothole ridden roads we have around here. (and do they even make semi-knobbies to fit sport-bike rims?):evil

Ok....it's now your turn to throw out how fast a sportbike is on a racetrack vs what a D.S. would be, to which (in all fairness for not comparing things to real world riding) I'll have to ask you to show me how fast a sport-bike is on an MX track vs a D.S.:rofl

Back to our program = The only bike I wouldn't buy, is one that would keep a smile from forming on my face.
    Keeping in mind that I believe each segment has its purpose and place, I don't think there is one.
    What I wouldn't want is one that's hard to maintain, as I enjoy doing my own maint.:deal
  2. RBnite

RBnite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never saw a MC I didn't like.

Some I can't and probably never will be able to afford, yet If i could I would
  3. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    Probably no touring bike. Probably no sport tourer. Probably no cruiser. Not most sport bikes, but there's an exception. But not a specific brand or bike - some styles just don't do it for me regardless which maker.
  4. Cowgirl

Cowgirl I'll ride anything.

Oddometer:
    The OP specified unreliable and I can't think of a bike I wouldn't own because of that but cruisers do not appeal to me. If someone gave me one I might ride it although since I have other bikes it would probably just collect dust :deal Of course if someone wants to test this theory I'll certainly accept one :wink: I would never buy one for myself - just not my style.
  5. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    You see... You are just looking at it all wrong. That is not a rolling cluster f@#k ... It is a rolling slalom course there for the amusement of riders. :D
  6. T-Hall

T-Hall tilting at windmills

Oddometer:
    I would not say overpriced... HD & BMW are pricey... and the beamer maintenance is high and not abundantly available in theU.S. Resale holds up well. But for me, I would rather purchase 2 riceburners for less than 1 HD or BMW. Japanese have been producing good motorbikes reasonably priced for a very long time... you cannot go wrong there.
  7. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anything with fucked up handling and poor brakes.

That covers quite a bit of the Harley space admitted, but there are other bikes that'd fit as well.

Pete
  8. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

Please look up the MSRP of these reasonably priced bikes from Japan then compare them to the similar Harley. YOU can't get two for one!!!!

A Raider S for example is actually more than its FXDWG competition. :deal

HD sales UP 25% :clap
  9. Ronin ADV

Ronin ADV Gear addict

Oddometer:
    I can appreciate the looks of lots of different bikes, but I really dont want to own anything that I cant stand up on. I just like the footpegs under me, so most feet forward cruisers are out. While I'm at it, I am partial to wider bars so the position of most sport bikes is not the best for me. I am much more interested in cornering than in how fast a bike can go in a straight line, so the mid foot position and wide bars just feel like they offer the best control.
  10. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup.

:nod

Mid controls are feet forward (like sitting on a chair... Top of leg horizontal 90 degree bend at the knee)

I think you mean "Standard" foot position ("foot pegs under me") and I completely agree.
  11. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Proving P.T. Barnum right yet again. :lol3
  12. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    “There's a sucker born every minute.”
    ― P.T. Barnum

I assume you were referring to the above...

Like you I do not understand the popularity of feet forward cruiser bikes. I would not go so far as to call them "sucker".

I do think a whole new World of riding would be opened up to them if they rode a bike with the foot pegs under their ass where they belong. An XR1200X would do nicely. :deal
  13. B.Curvin

B.Curvin Feral Chia Tamer

Oddometer:
    Riding THROUGH them I have no problem with, and have done so. I was thinking more of riding WITH them. Ewwwwwwwwww. :lol3
  14. DanielBarton

DanielBarton One of everything...

Oddometer:
    Sorry dude, but that f'ing thing looks cartoonish at best....but I do like the no chrome aspect
  15. DanielBarton

DanielBarton One of everything...

Oddometer:
    No monster/land yacht/Barca-lounger cruisers

Moto Guzzi: no dealer nearby with an actual inventory to look at and rumored horrible factory assistance

HD: I've ridden a couple of models, didn't like how they rode at all; encountered a number of HD riders who were total douchebags with the catch phrase: "So, when you gonna get a REAL bike?" Oh, really since when is owning one of those overpriced, overweight things a real bike? Nice try-go back to shining that chromed-out turd...not too mention those HD dealers where some of the employees-not all-act like arrogant asshats when you're not riding an HD and you're just looking around.

I've owned two Hondas, one Triumph and now my current ride is a BMW and they've been a lot of fun with no issues. I ride because I want to ride for the sheer fun, experience and adventure of it, not to get together with a pack and ride around in a 100 mile loop, staring at my reflection when possible...but those that DO like to do it-more power to you.
  16. RedShark

RedShark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Owned an Aprilia Futura for about 5 years - not a bad bike but dealer support was non-existant -"factory certified tech" couldn't figure out the service codes, etc.

I do much of my own service, which was a good thing - looking back over my receipts that was by far the most expensive bike to own I've ever had.

I like the look of the new V-twins from them, but I'll NEVER buy one again. - and, as above - the dealer was also the big Harley shop here, so you had to pick through a bunch of slow-moving super-loud chrome-laden pirates to get in or out of the place.
  17. KradmelderSA

KradmelderSA Banned

Oddometer:
    My riding consists of commuting, work travel (250-600 km per day), long distance adventure solo travel of half gravel half tar for a week, day trips of 500+ km of predominantly gravel. I ride 40 000 km per year. Essentially, I ride everyday, everywhere, all weather, and only use a cage to transport stuff or when I must take both kids at same time somewhere.

Any superbike simply because smooth unpotholed roads are rare here, so where you can go with them is limited. Also, I prefer to ride gravel or do long distances of 500-1000 km per day. Speed alone doesnt do it for me. I must also take equipment or luggage with me often, and superbikes just dont have that capability. Any idiot can twist the throttle on good tar roads.

Any cruiser for the some for the same reasons above except distance (bad roads, gravel).

Any bike where I cant stand on the pegs to go over rocks, potholes, bumps, corrugation etc, and which doesnt have the ground clearance for that anyway. I want to ride bike, not sit on my arse all day.

Any bike where I cant turn off gadgets like ABS for loose surfaces

Any bike that cant take knobblies

Any bike heavier than 220 kg which becomes work instead of enjoyment to battle thru sand and mud. I have a bike licence, not a Master's licence to pilot a freighter or super tanker.

Any bike with a poor power to weight ratio which doesnt give you that grin while everything recedes in the rearview mirror and feels like a road worthy wheel chair.

Any bike which cant easily reach 160 kmh so i can quickly get to the end of damned tar. I would go faster if I didnt have knobblies.

Any bike that is uncomfortable to ride 6 hours and up at a stretch. I want to go for a ride, not a 1 hour lark to go have breakfast with the local club.

That essentially leaves only DS bikes of 650+, and probably not most thumpers due to their low speed and discomfort over long distances.

I could see having a small enduro type just for buggering around on gravel day trips, but it doesnt suit most of my other riding. For the bad technical bits rather compromise and take it easy with a bigger DS bike.
  18. Nailhead

Nailhead Puck Futin Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only bike I absolutely would not own would be one that is butt-ugly. That's about it.

Motorcycles to me are all about stirring the soul, elevating the pulse rate, and if looking at a certain bike inspires revulsion, then it has absolutely no place in my garage or my life.