XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. sc-razor

sc-razor Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like my Acerbis 5.8. Almost the same look and ability to carry enough fuel for everyone!

[​IMG]
  2. Gone14s

Gone14s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Because of you Steve I put a spit fire windscreen on my bike. Made a world of difference when riding in the winter. Needless to say it does not look bad and is a good fit.

Kurt
  3. sc-razor

sc-razor Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool! This was my second trip to Colorado and I didn't have it the first time. We are are notorious for getting lost and ending up 150-200 miles from the house at 4pm and have to slab it back. That windscreen made all of the difference in the world and I actually don't mind the looks of it either.
  4. Gone14s

Gone14s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    May I suggest a tip for you.
    I drilled 2 holes in each lower corner of the windscreen. I'm sure as you notice that as you ride the screen bouces and vibrates a lot on the mounts. With the 2 holes drilled I mount the lower screen to the wind deflector above the head light with screws and plastic and rubber washers and wing nuts. It made the screen very solid with no vibration and you can still do a quick removal when you want. It also keeps the stock screen mount from coming loose as you ride on trails.
    Even with the 2 lower mount points you can still loosen the upper screen mounts and tilt and adjust the screen to a point.

Even with lock tight in the mount crews on the stock mounts, when trail riding, it managed to shake itself loose.....not anymore!!!!!!:clap:clap

Kurt
  5. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    I don't get it..... :scratch

Does this look better than stock? Better than the standard mods? (Clarke tank etc)

Who looks at the bike? Only when I'm working on mine do I look at it... and others only get to look at it when helping me get it back upright :dunno or when stopping for a break, but we're usually checking out the view, and the mechanical condition, not the artistic lines of the bikes... :huh

Aesthetics are about the last of the priorities I'm concerned about for my dirt bike.
  6. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    This must be what I missed. It was great on the 20 min. ride out to the mountains. But it didn't quite make it to the top of the first ridge; I had to take it off and carry it out in three pieces! :waysad
  7. sc-razor

sc-razor Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good idea. Yeah, when on trails mine kept coming loose so I finally used Gorilla tape on the wing nuts to keep them from backing out for a temporary fix.
  8. Gone14s

Gone14s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed, Mine would come loose after a few min's on the trail. With the lower screen mounted to the head light upper fairing it stays put now. In the summer I take it off. Don't really have to but I like the fresh air in the summer. Really makes riding at high speed nice though. Our upper bodies act like a wall moving against the wind with out it.

But to each his own.

Kurt
  9. sc-razor

sc-razor Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd say there's not a pair of our bikes exactly the same. It's all about what "you" like and what works for "you". Some are about looks, some are about function, some are about both. I like mine, but there are plenty here I like more or better and I plan on using some of those ideas in the future too.
  10. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:

I saw that picture and thought wtf. :huh I figured I'd post it for kicks... :lol3

Function first is how I think... :1drink That mod probably has no benefits and just adds things to break... :puke1

What I want is the custom tank kubiak built. :thumb

:beer
  11. Gone14s

Gone14s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes sir, it does get to be a pain in the butt to have to stop and tighten them all the time. I also added a 2 1 inch plastic spacers between the windscreen and the fairing. This allows a little bit of air to come up from behind the windscreen.

Kurt
  12. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:

We are all special in some way.... :1drink

[​IMG]

:freaky
  13. sc-razor

sc-razor Long timer

Oddometer:
    No question which one I am in that pic!:rofl
  14. RideAbout

RideAbout Mentally Retired

Oddometer:

Love mine.... Mine are over Cycra's and the other bike has Acerbis Hand-guards. They work well with both... with slight modifications.

[​IMG]
  15. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    I dont get it either. Although... I did put CRF fenders on my bike purely for aesthetics, so I shouldn't get to slinging too much judgement around:lol3
  16. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of possibly sticking an aftermarket header on my xrl to go with my big gun muffler and Daves mods/desnorkeled/desmogged/uni filter. I live and ride at 5000ft and up. I'm currently running a 58 pilot and 155 main jet, and the bike runs great. Plug color is good, maybe slightly rich with a dark tan/light chocolate color.
    I'm wondering if I could just stick the header on, or would it make a big enough difference I'd need to jet up some more? Thanks in advance for any and all feedback :D
  17. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:

I've seen the pics of your bike. :1drink Nice use of lipstick... :thumb

Not too much.... its just right.... :wink:

:beer
  18. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:

Put the header on and see. One thing at a time. The header may not change jetting much, if any.

Put it on and do a few plug chops. It should be pretty close.

:freaky
  19. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride at elevations from 4,600-9,200 feet above sea level. Here's my bike's configuration.

Dave's carburetor modifications
    Airbox snorkel removed
    Uni air filter
    No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
    FMF Hi-Flo Exhaust Header
    Stock muffler
    Pilot Jet: size 55
    Main Jet: size 155

My bike's configuration is similar to yours. Also, the altitudes at which I ride are very similar to yours. I'm pleased to report my bike starts and runs superbly at all elevations.

I don't think installing an aftermarket exhaust header will make much difference with your jetting. Install the header and see how things work out. If necessary, any tweaking you might need to do with the carburetor jets will be minor. :deal

Spud :beer
  20. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    That's the coolest looking fork mod I've seen yet! :wink: