Garmin Mac Software

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by GarminMac, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Brent4ADV

Brent4ADV Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer:
    Brian,
    Just wondering if ya'll are planning on implementing a filtering tool to accompany the track tool in Bobcat so that tracks can be shrunk down to an appropriate number of points to transfer to the GPS. Thanks again.
  2. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    That's like telling someone who asks for directions on a bus: "...sure, just get off two stops before I do."

Or how to make money in the stock market, guaranteed: "buy low, sell high."

:scratch

I split the TAT from TN to NM into 12 routes, made and tested directly on the 60CSx. Each route has ≤ 50 waypoints each, and auto-routes exactly as I want it to. I suppose I could have created the routes on Bobcat and used more waypoints per mile routed and ended up with more routes, but even then, you can't be absolutely certain that your handheld will autoroute identically to Bobcat unless you try it out on the handheld. If you don't like surprises, that's your only option.
  3. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    Is there a way (or if not, will there be a way) to add a custom avoidance area - for the sake of argument, when planning routes in France I'd prefer to avoid the mess that is Paris and its suburbs :D

I *think* you can do this in Mapsource (and I know you can in MS S&T and MS AutoRoute Europe), but I'm trying to just learn Bobcat so that I don't get myself more confused than I already am :lol3
  4. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the conversations about route recalculations on the units am I correct in understanding that the 60 csx doesn't actually download the route but just the waypoints and then recalculates? Otherwise (to state the obvious), why couldn't you just turn off auto recalc?

I know my 276C downloads the routes as determined in Mapsource (and probably Bobcat) and always keeps them. IOW, even if I recalc an active route using some weird prefs on the unit I can regain the route as downloaded merely by selecting it again on the 276C.

Does the 76Csx act like the 60csx or like the 276C when it comes to downloaded routes?
  5. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    Ah, my day job as a software tester in a Windows environment does translate then - I broke Bobcat :lol3

Sent the error logs through as requested by the app - don't know if anyone else can replicate though. Search for nearby POIs, and while it is still searching, add the selected find results - kaboom :D
  6. Scoop

Scoop runs with scissors

Oddometer:
    OK, this is going to be a dumb question, obviously I have overlooked something. I have successfully downloaded Bobcat and Map Manager to my Mac Air, and Map Converter to my PC. I converted and transferred and installed CN2008 and can view it on Bobcat. But, I can't seem to select maps to transfer to the 2610?
    Help would be appreciated.
  7. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    You should now have City Navigator North America NT.tgz or similar on the mac?

If so, open that with the Garmin MapInstall app, which should then create a gmapi file that Bobcat can read.
  8. Scoop

Scoop runs with scissors

Oddometer:
    I did that. Bobcat seems to be able to read CN2008 now, but I can't select individual maps or sections to install on the 2610, like I can on the PC software.
  9. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    Any way of changing the icon for a whole load of imported entries from a GDB file?

I've imported a list of campsites in France, and they all have a green dot as the symbol, but I'd prefer them to come in as the tent symbol for obvious reasons :D As there are 414 of the brutes to change, a mass-change option would be cool :thumb
  10. DennyIndy

DennyIndy Old F@rt

Oddometer:
    Bobcat does not Install maps to GPS units.
    You need to use Garmin's MapInstall to do that.

GarminMac stated that the ability to transfer maps is one thing that will be built into Bobcat in future releases.
  11. Brent4ADV

Oddometer:
    Just use automator.
  12. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    Opened Automator - Bobcat isn't listed :dunno
  13. GarminMac

GarminMac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We have been discussing the reasons why a route created in Bobcat would be much different than one computed on your device. Slight differences in route calculation may be expected due to some minor changes in the route calculation code on your device compared to Bobcat, but you shouldn't be seeing any major differences. If you are seeing major differences with the routes in Bobcat compared to your device please use the "Report Issues to Garmin" option in the Help menu to let us know the details.
  14. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    GarminMac, Just wondering where can we download the manual for mapsource and/or bobcat.
    Seems like the last version on the size is from July05, since then bunch of features were added, and even so that manual has only the basic features.

Where can we get one with all the "advanced" features ?

Thanks
    Christian
  15. Brent4ADV

Oddometer:
    First, open up Bobcat. Then open automator and choose record in the top right of the window. Then open Bobcat back up and do the process you want and let it record one "cycle" of the process you want to accomplish (i.e. changing the symbol of one waypoint). Then you can just duplicate that process however many times you need it done and save it then run it.
  16. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    Ah, is that a Leopard feature? I'm still in Tiger-land, and don't have a record button :D
  17. Member No. 1

Member No. 1 I can use a custom title?

Oddometer:
    First off, many thanks for not forgetting about us Mac users!
    I've been following this thread, and others on the Zumo Forum in regards to Bobcat. Question is, is there any kind of time table, or do you have any ideas when the next release will be out? Or what the final release date might be?

Please correct me if Im wrong, but as of now, there is no way to "Stitch" ride segments together so you end up with one continuous route correct?
  18. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Heck. I have trouble with this in regular ol' MapSource. :umph
  19. GarminMac

GarminMac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are planning to release a new beta version of Bobcat by early next week. Some of the new features in this version will include the ability to create custom smart folders, delete track points, join tracks, integration with MapInstall to allow you to transfer maps to your device, and many bug fixes.
  20. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    what about a manual for all the features ?