Map question...

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Newm, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Newm

Newm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a GPSMAP60CSX and am trying to decide what map or maps to get. I want to use this for 50/50 highway to offroad usage and not sure if Citynavigator is enough or if TOPO is a better option or should I just bite the bullet and get both. Opinions?
  2. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    IMHO City Nav should be enough. If you need topos there are some free ones at gpsfiledepot.
  3. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer:
    No FHE with City Navigator, but ImO roads and recreation is a better fit for 50/50, but I prefer Topo, for reasons I'll go into later. (at work and on iPhone now)

edit: Never mind. I just got hold of a newer version of Garmin software and the issues I had with R&R vs Topo have been resolved.
  4. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    Why not go download the FREE maps from http://www.gpsfiledepot.com ?
    you can get topos that way, they're user generated maps from free public datum so your not violating any copyrights. :D
  5. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    Looking for Garmin Roads and Recreation. The Garmin site says no longer available...what's up? What's the latest R&R???
  6. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    Actually, when I posted that I didn't realize R&R was no longer available. I believe is was replaced with BaseCamp.
  7. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    It hasn't been available from Garmin for years.

I'm pretty sure Basecamp is a program like Mapsource, not a mapset...
  8. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look for a copy on e-bay or just from a friend. It is not copy protected so you only need to borrow a copy and copy it to your hard drive and agive disk back then install from hard drive.
  9. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...any offers?:wink:

wouldn't R&R this be the best for trails and forestry roads etc?
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is all I and all my friends use but we don't ever use autorouting off of major highways (basemap).
  11. dlearl476

Oddometer:

Oh, you're right. (I get Sooo confused. :lol3 )

I just bought TopoUS 100K (FWIW, GPS City has it for $79) I think THAT is the closest thing to the old R&R, and it comes bundled with BaseCamp. (hence my confusion)
    I don't know if City Navigator has the off the road detail that R&R had. Perhaps it does, without the Topo info that my software does.
  12. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    City Nav shows only limited terrain features, but most "roads" are there.

R&R shows more features but the road data is EXTREMELY outdated, plus a lot of the roads are simply named "Road". It also doesn't support autorouting (routes are staright lines between points).
  13. dlearl476

Oddometer:

My appearance here in LDT was spurred by a very frustrating "fail" with my Garmin software(what else?)/Serial connection. Several weeks ago I was set to meet some folks from F650.com for a couple of days of camping and riding in Panguitch, UT.

Before I left I wanted to load the other of two map sets I have (One NE, one SW of Las Vegas) into my GPSMAP76S. I couldn't get it to connect and/or the software to recognize it. To make a long story short, I ended up with a refurb GPS, updated R&R (orig 3.3 to 6.16.2) and TopoUS 100K. I don't know if my experience is typical, but the road coverage where I was riding is about the same on the R&R as it is in the TopoUS, but the R&R has the FS designations, the Topo names, which kind of sucks when you're riding on FS roads with numbered markers. Luckily we had a paper map to cross-reference. The POI like campgrounds, etc. is about the same but without any Topo information, obviously. The autorouting is moot for me as I don't have (until yesterday when I ordered a Nuvi 855 for $100 from Amazon) an autorouting GPS.

In the area I was riding, there were a lot of "roads," but just about every road I actually rode on had the FS designations, and that has been my experience since I've owned it, not only in Southern Utah, but here in NV as well. I'll give you that the urban road info is way out of date. IIRC, only about half of I-215 here in town is even shown on the R&R maps (although I haven't looked at that, specifically, since I updated)
  14. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 76s seem to route on the base map even though R & R is showing. Works fine for me, no straight lines.
  15. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong, R&R certainly has its uses - I was just noting its limitations.
  16. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    No no, I was just pointing out that unlike when you have two routable maps installed they will only route on the selected map but with R&R selected it routes on the base map?

For users like me who uses Tracks only on my DIRT bike and uses Routes only in my Motorhome R&R works best because of what Bruce said and the base map routes just fine with Motorhome roads.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    cn shows all the same roads as topo and more.
    topo is for hiking.
  18. mcnut

mcnut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    R&R and Topo 100K are not auto-routing map sets so any routing would be via the 76's basemap only.

I think you are getting R&R and MapSource mixed up slightly.

R&R is an older map set and there is no updates for it, hasn't been for years. MapSource comes with most Garmin map products. The update you got was an much newer version of MapSource which is the software which compiles map files, communicates with the GPS and displays maps. What you see on the GPS will be no different however the user interface on the computer may look different. I'm sure you were running a newer version of MapSource because TOPO 100K isn't that old and would have installed a newer version.

TOPO has the fewest and oldest road labels/names, R&R has many more and newer (but still old) road labels. If you want the newest road labels, the latest roads and auto-routing you will need CityNavigator.

Bruce