Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    I went to take a little ride on the strom and made it 7 miles before just a little cloudy turned to the rinse cycle. :lol3 Oh well, I did get the tractor set up for winter plowing duties.
  2. vivid dadas

vivid dadas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a nice weekend of riding, mostly down in AEP land .

I think it has to do with hunting season, and I don't know how long it will last, but many of the internal roads in AEP that are usually gated, the gates are open.

I don't know what AEP is up to down there, they have improved some traditionally bad roads, and went to some trouble and expense to build some parking lots and pads out in the middle of nowhere, I suppose it has to do with the drilling craze. I was out for 3 or 4 hours, back by 4:30 and got wet the last hour.
  3. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    You guys are lucky, I wanted to go full off-road but my head and gut weren't up to it so I hit the road to see if I could clear out the cobwebs. I rode 200+ miles, nearly 7 hours and never saw any rain, just dust. Then this butthead pulled out in front of me

[​IMG]

Found this unique gem...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this one

[​IMG]

A few familiar faces. I swear the 2nd from left has posted here before

[​IMG]

School was out

[​IMG]
  4. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    And, only in Ohio, this school (hopefully abandoned) was making cash on the side, literally...

[​IMG]

Yes, that's a Budweiser sign, probably added on outside the gymnasium
  5. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

were you bicycling or motorcycling there in ReCreation Land?

maybe its an economics class teaching about good old American capitalism...? :lol3
  6. vivid dadas

Oddometer:
    mgorman,

That "S" bridge is only 3 miles from my house, I was down riding in AEP land. The Skull Fork Bridge is where I took cannorrider's picture last weekend.

sion,

I was on my V-Strom, I have 2 more covered bridge pics for you from the weekend, one a working bridge in Morgan County, another "non-working" one in Noble County, I forgot to take a picture of a third in one of the AEP campgrounds, but I bet you have that one.
  7. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    Going to Mt Bike Dillon Wednesday afternoon if the weather cooperates. Stay tuned for time.
  8. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since you all have surely been waiting on the edge of your seats... I regret to inform you that my picking up a dual sport has been postponed to next Sunday. :cry
  9. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Q-Tip With Ears

Oddometer:
    We've got two full size kimbers, and never had a hiccup out of either one. They are both stellar weapons.
    However, Im of the opinion the 1911 platform is less reliable, the shorter the bbl length.
    get an m+p or a gee-lock if you want reliability in a small package :deal
    just my $.02
  10. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:
    first, I was not aware that there were any moto-accessible roads/trails in ReCreation Land. And second, I do not have the covered bridge there. When you post the other two, see if you can give me a good description or google maps location of that third one, if its not too much trouble.
  11. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    I have to pick the wife up for work around 11:30, but after that I'd be up for some riding if it's not crappy out, forecast looks iffy but ya never know.

Friday's forecast looks good and I'm planning on riding Alum Creek again if anyone wants to join me for Black Friday Screw Standing In Line At Best Buy Mountain Biking Instead Day™.
  12. miketv

miketv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey ya'll, been awhile and with some life changes coming about I've decided to let my TE610 go. I just wanted to give any of you local folks heads up before I "officially" put it up. Please drop me a P/M or e-mail if interested and we can talk.

cheers,

Mike
  13. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    I can vouch for that bike, it's a very well sorted out scoot with all the goodies. Imagine an XRL that had a good transmission, and was powerful, and had a good suspension and wasn't heavy. No, wait, imagine an XR650R with a magic button and road manners. Yeah, that's better.

:lol3
  14. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Man, is it black friday already? Springfield looked like someone dumped geriatric prescriptions in all the stores. Mix the old drivers with the distracted soccer Moms and I was glad I was in the car!:shog

Were things that bad elsewhere?
  15. BuffWv

BuffWv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its the tractor trailer drivers here.
  16. vivid dadas

Oddometer:
    sion,
    there are miles of roads at AEP; gravel roads, old "haul" roads, nothing I can't easily ride/drive my V-Strom or my Honda Fit on. These roads are open all year. There are also miles of roads that are gated off and only open certain times of the year, or dependent on what AEP is doing back in there. You are always welcome top "walk them." I suppose you could get in there and ride around almost anywhere, it's not like there's anyone there most of the time, OTOH, it's wide open and anyone could see you for miles.

The covered bridge there is at the "Sawmill Road" Campground off SR 83 south of Cumberland. Just drive back in, it's at the back. I don't have a pic. It is forbidden to camp in the covered bridge.

Here is the Helmick Road covered bridge, it's a beauty. I'm not being coy because I don't know exactly where I was, but it's over in Morgan County off 669 between Deavertown and Eagleport.
    [​IMG]

This one is in Noble County, on TWP 3, off 78, not real far from Sharon.
    [​IMG]

This previously posted pic with cannonrider, (also posted by mgorman,) is the Skull Fork bridge crossing Skull Fork on "Covered Bridge Road" in Harrison County just north of the Village of Smyrna on US 22.
    [​IMG]
    There are also 2 covered bridges right here in Guernsey County, one was moved to the Cambridge City Park from what is now Salt Fork lake, the other, (Indian Camp covered bridge,) is just NE of Cambridge just off SR 658 on Covered Bridge road, AKA TWP 611. This is a working covered bridge. There is also the "ruins" of a covered bridge out in the water on the north side of Salt Fork, no covered bridge picture collection would be complete without it.
  17. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    How much? I have a friend that might be interested. Hes been kicking the enduro idea around a bit.
  18. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

coolness...thanks for the info...yer alright in my book, I dont care what those other guys say :lol3
  19. miketv

miketv Been here awhile

Oddometer:

message sent, check your inbox
  20. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    Not looking too promising for Wednesday on the trails with all the rain they're predicting for today. Might be up for Friday.