Dakar 2011 - Official Event Coverage - THANK YOU all Posters and Lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by doyle, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Robb Mc

Robb Mc what?

Oddometer:
    Good luck!
  2. Robb Mc

Robb Mc what?

Oddometer:
    Oh he smiles. Just not in front of the camera.
  3. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At least Hintenaus came in too! :clap 52nd 42 minutes after Jonah.

On reflection this stage did not seem as hard as I nitially thought it would be - apart from the dune section. I get the feeling that all the guys who can ride dunes cruised it, the rest still out there are battling the dunes or with their bikes.

I had a look on google earth and I think I worked out why Helder ran out of fuel (maybe the others too): There is no gas station on the way to SS9 from the bivouac, you have to divert into Copiapo to get gas. Perhaps the guys were 3/4's full and thought they were okay?
  4. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    F$CK. Well... it's better than crashing!
  5. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    Some smug mugs:

[​IMG]

We need a caption for this one:

[​IMG]

Images ©Scotty Breauxman, race-dezert.com
  6. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    Think we need to clap a little faster for Si!

Come on Si!!! :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  7. Carlos M

Oddometer:
    Not only out of gas but lost. So much for the Vasco da Gama ancestry :D

First account of events from Helder:

" A terrible day in which I started just fine. I was racing very well up to km 215. Than I got lost and did almost 9 km off-couse. I lost a lot of time and ran out of gas. Luckily Felipe Prohens got me some. It is really terrible, but that's racing"
  8. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    I didn't see this already, but maybe I just missed the waypoint and this will be a 205.

Jonah, quoted on the Dakar website:

"I had to start in the third wave, which was good and bad; good that everyone up front new their position and were taking it easy and I got to charge through. The second wave caught everybody in the second to last sand dunes. Then in the last dunes, I think when there were only 3 bikes in front of me I went over the handlebars hard, straight into the sand, totally unannounced, but I was okay. I got back up and followed them in, because I figured that I started two waves behind them so I was doing alright. Today we didn't have any bike problems, everything went really smooth, so I'm happy. It's awesome. You know what? We've been capable of it all rally, it just hasn't fallen into our plate. It's awesome, totally awesome. It's what we come here to do, to do the best we can and first is the best you can do, so to win a stage pretty special.
  9. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    Wow, from hero to zero in a few kilometers. How fortunes change.
  10. Carlos M

Oddometer:
    That's DAKAR!
  11. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    Today's quotes from other riders:

Marc Coma:

“With the grouped start and the fog, the start of the stage and the navigation was very difficult. In the first group, we got lost, turning right when we shouldn't have. When we got back on track the second wave caught up with us. It was a bit of a mess. After that, a group of around twenty quick riders formed and we managed to ride the rest of the stage normally. But in the end, it was a difficult day”.

David Casteu:

“It's wonderful. I navigated by myself, since there were no tracks. I rode with Verhoeven in the right direction, making sure I was crossing the dunes well. Soon, we started to see the bikes of Chaleco, Coma… We went hell for leather, right up to the finish. It was absolutely great. As a result, it helped me forget my gearbox problems a bit”.

Frans Verhoeven:

“For today's grouped start, since I like motocross, I wasn't stressed about being in between other riders. I attacked from the start. In the dunes and the mountains, there was a lot of fog, and I caught up with Ullevalseter. I couldn't understand, because he set off 5 minutes before me. I guess the group in front got really lost and that I navigated really well. It's perfect…”

Helder Rodrigues:

“The day started well for me again. I was riding really well until the 215 km point, then I got a bit lost. I rode 9 km too much, so I turned back and ran out of petrol. Luckily, Felipe Prohens gave me some petrol. It's terrible. 15 kilometres from here I had the best time, but that's rallying for you”.

Cyril Despres:

“After the start, we didn't stay grouped for a long time because at the 17 km point Helder Rodrigues took a wrong direction and we all followed him. So, we turned round and ran straight into the second wave of starters. We were all riding in each others dust. It was a bit of a strange stage really. For the general standings, I assumed my responsibilities, because I'm fed up of playing cat and mouse for the last few years. We'll see what this strategy produces. Now I'll have to wait for the stage in Fiambala”.
  12. doyle

Oddometer:
    :photog I like this. "Ahem, excuse me, Mr Street? See that dune? Yes, that one for which we are heading? I will be pitching you over the handlebars precisely when we crest. I just thought you would like to know, kind sir."
  13. doyle

Oddometer:
    Uh, yeah, Helder took the wrong turn, that's it. :razor
  14. $low-n-0ld Racing

$low-n-0ld Racing Arbitrary Soil Appraiser

Oddometer:

Don’t forget the magical mystical waypoint – lost 5-7 minutes with that one

Good work Jonah
  15. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I :lol3ed at that too! :photog Aren't all crashes, pretty much until the last second, unannounced?

Btw, did you type that with a hindu accent? For some reason I read it that way. :D
  16. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Not all, some seem to put you in slow motion thinking ah crap here we go again where others are unannounced, aka holy crap what am I doing in the dirt. :wink:

Funny, I as well put an east indian accent on that quote :rofl
  17. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    Finishers thusfar:

Street(!)
    Verhoeven
    Casteu (1,2,3)
    Ullevalsetter
    Cody(22)
    Faria
    Rodrigues
    Seel
    Sanz
    Waldschmidt
    Hintenaus
    Su
    Pol
    Orfanos
    Meier
    Merkit
    DeBenedictis (having a seemingly quiet, solid ride thusfar)
    Smith

No one else yet through CP2 who hadn't made the finish

Ronnie Bodinger, the one armed bandit is between WP5 and CP2,
    as is SpanishBeemer Jose Garcia.

Pavey last seen between WP4 and WP5 quite some time ago. <cue slow clap>
  18. doyle

Oddometer:
    Actually as I was typing it I was saying it in a very proper, very poised, British butler type of accent but Indian works just as well.:rofl
  19. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    This last bit could be a pivotal quote for this rally... save this one Nate.
  20. doyle

Oddometer:
    What kit is Orfanos using on his Aprilia? He seems to have the only one as the other Aprilias are sporting the manta ray eyes (that's what it looks like to me). Orfanos' kit just looks so right.