Triumph Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by danger_dave, May 29, 2006.

1. Rhodie

Rhodie Gusset Nuzzler

Oddometer:
    old picture...
    bike probably only had 5-800 miles then
    and had just come out of parts fabrication shop.

It must have been jet washed a day or two previously.
    Normally use liberal doses of plutoline on chain.
  2. Krahe

Krahe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys should try this sometime:

Take your scrambler to an open air vintage car show. The looks you get as you idle by are second to none. I have never seen so many people squint and stare in my life 'they makin those again?' 'what year is that?' 'it has...dirt...on it!'. I thought about pulling into the motorcycle area but didnt want to pay any registration fees. :thumb Fun times!
  3. Mud Lightspeed

Mud Lightspeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's always the first question I get.. "What year is that?"
    I love it.
    2007 Tornado Red (Not as fast as the Blue,.. but sexier):evil

Mounting Ammo-Can panniers this week. So my sexyness quotient might take a hit there.
  4. Goofy1

Goofy1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mud--I'll be interested in seeing your mounting for the ammo cans. I've got a pile of cans left over from my KLR and was in the garage last night pondering on how best to mount one or two of them.
  5. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bought a china lift. Iit seems to work well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Went to rally in the local mts and took a small 5 litre keg :scratch I had trouble trying to work how to attach it.
    [​IMG]
    Whew managed to work it out ...
    My DR and Scram among the wombat holes.
    [​IMG]
  6. Krahe

Krahe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent pictures! :clap I need to dig out my camera.
  7. Krahe

Krahe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like both red and blue equally well, but bought the blue because it is what they had. I noticed that nearly everyone got the blue, oh well. I guess I could always get a red fuel tank down the road when I feel like a change. Also the blue goes better with my all black and silver riding gear.:wink:
  8. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    I took the Scrambler out in the dirt this past weekend and it did pretty well, especially considering the dirt was slowly turning to mud as the rain fell. I didn't get into anything too muddy and gnarly because of my lack of skills but the bike did inspire confidence.

Didn't have any mishaps but got to wondering: has anyone dropped their Scrambler on the right side? If so, the undoubtedly expensive pipes look like they might take the brunt of the damage. Any experience with that kind of situation?
  9. jimmy73

jimmy73 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was on a way to muddy section of trail when my scram got tired and decided to take a nap on her right side. Luckily it was soft mud so all the damage was mud clods stuck to the pipes.
  10. Krahe

Krahe Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I dropped mine on the right side at about 2mph on pavement. It broke off the right foot rest ($70), scratched the right brake lever a bit, and scratched the mount for the passenger foot rest. It didnt touch the pipes due to the passenger footrest mount. I swapped the passenger footrest to the front until I get a new front footrest. No serious damage though. :thumb

I just passed the 500 mile mark today.
  11. tristoo

tristoo n00b

Oddometer:
    I've seen similar pipes in the picture of the orange scrambler with the girl sitting on top in the first few pages of this thread, but I can't find anything available, does anybody have any ideas? This is the bike from MI3, more pics here: http://www.motorcyclingmag.com/Machines/Classics/Precious-Metals-Cruise-Control.asp

I just bought an '06 Scrambler and i love it, but my engine casing is suffering from quite a bit of corrosion, has anyone put the chrome engine casing kit that comes as standard on the T100 on their scrambler?

Attached Files:

12. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    That's pretty good news. The part of the pipes I was worried about is the header section where they come out of the head and then curve around to the rear. Seems they stick out farthest there. Nice to know the foot peg mount sticks out farther.

Still I may opt for the Triumph crash bars in black. They seem like good insurance for $140.
  13. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fired mine into a road side drain [ gravel road ] at a fair clip & went for a wee trip over the bars, bike came to a rest on its RHS against a bank in water 1/2 way up the crank cases. Exit 1 x wind screen. bars bent, minor damage to master cylinder & head light , couple of motorists gave me hand to drag it up out of drain . Pulled away worst of mud /grass / shit & away I went . Mufflers despite the heat guards collecting crap were completely unmarked I figured it was going to be a lot worse & if I had put it down on a hard surface it would have been
    I broke the golden rule 'Never switch off ' had ridden hard on unsealed roads all day, got onto a very familiar road very close to home & thought 'I,ll take it easy dont want to fall off now' Lost concentration & arrived at a corner just way too fast. Bugger lesson learned again & again

Re corrosion on cases , I have the same , any ideas on the best repair ??
  14. danger_dave

danger_dave That's me

Oddometer:
    Buff the clear lacquer off and polish them?
  15. pistol777

pistol777 Freedom Seeker

Oddometer:
    There is this metal polish from west Germany non abrasive called Flitz used in boating circles excellent you can get at West marine in the U.S. lasts a while too.:wink:
  16. queenpdog

queenpdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh man. Sorry to hear about your "get off". You didn't mention how your body faired in the event. I hope you are okay and I will take this as a reminder to keep my focus - even on the familiar roads. Take care, TM.
    Julia
  17. Flat_Black_Rat

Flat_Black_Rat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not as impressive as some of the pictures here, but figured I'd add mine from the weekend to the mess. With all of the shock talk, I'm running the Works Preformance dual-rate steel adjustable trackers on the back with the matching dual-rate springs in the forks, huge improvement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few sore muscles in the left arm & wrist but all good now.
    Silly old farts don't bounce like they used to
    Thanks for asking

Re corrosion . The spots are small so I was going to try a very soft abrasive like Brasso , clean with a wax & grease remover then spray with auto clear laquer in my touch up gun . If I clean off the laquer & polish, I then have to do the cases on both sides & it starts to turn into a major for what is a very minor problem or am I missing something here. Is Flitz similar to Autosol , West Marina might be just a wee bit far for me to travel
  19. tri boy

tri boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad your OK dude. Try and make it to Clints MMMM ride end of July.
    Arnica, and a good woman to rub it in eases most aches.:wink:
  20. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    Done , had booked Baileys Beach for a nth ride & was about to post then Clint beat me to the punch, Bugger . Better get new feet for ma wee beastie dont think the Scorps will cope.