Video game addicts...

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by EvilGenius, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    How much are you wanting to spend?

I'd maybe look at the Evga 560 Ti if you're on a budget. For a little more you could get a 660. They require a min of 500w. You also need 2 6-Pin PCI-e connectors.
  2. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    The 2 connectors should be no problem, I have 4 open slots above the current 1 slot Quadro it's replacing. I'd say 250-450 is the price range, I know that's pretty big but at some point you start paying a lot of money for minimal increases and I'm looking for best bang for my buck.
  3. Jonnylotto

Jonnylotto Zipper Club with Clusters

Oddometer:
    I can vouch for the GTX670, in my case I bought the Asus Direct CU II GTX670

It's not a best bang for the buck card, it's an "almost all of the power without the price" card. :deal
  4. ScorpioVI

ScorpioVI Some people juggle geese.

Oddometer:

Yup, got her up to Level 50 now and barely play my L50 Zero.

Gaige with electric Infinity pistol is just ridiculous. I just go charging in there with Deathtrap and everybody else complains that they can't see/can't get kills.

Anybody have an electric Baby Maker they're willing to dupe for me? I have pretty much all the Legendary weapons/shields/grenades to trade/with.
  5. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    After doing some research I think I'm going a step and a half down from there and getting a 1920x1200 IPS monitor to go with it (especially since these cards can run 3 monitors :clap). So the GTX 650 Ti is it, considering I only have 32 CUDA cores in my current video card this will be a nice "little" jump.

But the issue is which one, I've found 2 on New Egg which look to be the same card but with a 20 dollar price difference:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130841
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130840

And then Dell has a similar card but with only 1GB of RAM, I would get my next day replacement warranty on it so how much of a loss would the second GB of RAM be?

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A6461399&ST=Desktop%20Accessories&dgc=ST&cid=72662&lid=1838862&acd=000003
  6. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    The more expensive card is SSC, meaning Super Superclocked in EVGA terms. It's overclocked from the factory. The core and memory clocks are set higher. I'd get the 2GB card though. It will help with newer games.
  7. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    I'm a complete n00b when it comes to cards, will the kind of overclocking they do hurt reliability much? Or is it well within the tolerance of the chipset/cooling system?
  8. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    Most companies have tiers. The top for Nvidia is the FTW. If the card fails these specs it's dropped to SSC or SC+, then to SC then to Reference. It's all within spec. if it doesn't fail the tests. Does it shorten the life of the card? Perhaps. Will you ever notice the difference, probably not. Keep in mind too that even though it's in a certain class doesn't mean you can't OC it further. This would be out of spec. but if it's stable then who cares.
  9. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    Thanks, and awesome avatar I just saw that episode a week ago.
  10. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, who has gotten into Black Ops 2?
    Is it great, does it suck?

Worth $60 and the other $$ for DLC?

Some previews look good, some not so much. The futuristic thing is going to loose me if that is the main theme of the game.
  11. SJSharkfan

SJSharkfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Black Ops 2

Campaign is 50/50 2025 and 1980"s. I liked the future missions better. I would give the campaign 6/10. Too short and the plot is weak.

Multiplayer is in the future. Some new gadgets and guns. It takes a while to get a gun that is set up the way
    you like. The good news is the grenade launchers are the last things you unlock. So no more noobs running around with them and scavenger. Over all I'm liking the MP. I was getting burned out on MW3 and BO. This feels fresh for some reason. I give it a 8/10

So I guess it was worth the $60. You know it will be on sale after Xmas, but you'll be way behind the curve. I bought the game 2 weeks after the release and I was getting schooled by the hardcore gamers that got it on release day. When I first started my K/D was around .40. Now after 2 weeks my K/D is usually 1.2. I can't wait for Xmas to slaughter all the noobs joining!:evil:2guns
  12. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice!

I'll be grabbing it when the price drops after Christmas.
  13. Keyser Soze 1

Keyser Soze 1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where did you find this electric infinity pistola?
  14. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    I tried to play an earlier Assassins Creed and could not get into it. I am enjoying ACIII but could give fuck all about the backstory, the animus and the dude in present day who relives the memories. Conner's story and the setting is all I care about. And I love, LOVE the Naval missions!!
  15. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    They're drops, like any other. It's random. I have a low level incindiary pistol that I got as a mission reward from killing Dr. Mercy on one of my toons.....
  16. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    I've started playing ACIII. I've never played AC before but the story seems to cover what it's all about nicely. I did find one problem with the PC version. I have a hard time 'picking' the locks since there is no rumble. Also the controls feel funky. The 3rd person camera moves weird. It's none linear I think. You can tell it was ported from the XBOX. I'll have to use my 360 controller to play it I think.
  17. xshanex

xshanex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    agree except it seems very similar in MP and somehow less fun depending on which map. Most of my MW3 friends played through the campaign then played MP for a few hours and don't play it any more

Lots of hardcore BO2 people already just like any FPS......the matchmaking still sucks at times. I was playing last night and you still get mixed in with very good players.........people who had k/d ratios of 3/1 to 5/1 who were laying waste to everyone. Whenever I used to play MW3/BO with a group it was a pain because whenever someone saw 4-6 clan tags they automatically backed out of the lobby even though none of us were very good. There's a new league feature that sounded interesting as it ranks you and matches you with people of similar skill levels but for $40 I will have to pass. I'm only about 10 hours in and am still learning the maps
  18. ScorpioVI

ScorpioVI Some people juggle geese.

Oddometer:

Man this game slipped past my radar. Didn't know what it was because I never played any of the earlier Far Cry games. Caught a glimpse of the trailer on YouTube and it looked interesting.

I went to GameStop the other night and traded in Halo 4 for it last night and got a $20 discount on Far Cry 3 and Assassins Creed 3. Mistake!

5 hours later it was midnight. It's like a blend of Skyrim/Red Dead Redemption/Just Cause 2/Fallout 3/Call of Duty. It has the open world feel/beauty of Skyrim and RDR, along with hunting and foraging components. Archery components straight out of Skyrim. That feeling of sneaking around and discovering new places like Fallout 3. Plays like any MW/COD FPS in the shooting elements. Along with the over the top adventure feel of Just Cause 2 (hang gliding, ziplining, all manner of vehicles).

Gameplay is very open world. You've got your main story mission, but you can choose to ignore it and do whatever you like. Capture radio towers to reveal the map, capture outposts to secure that section of the island and make it safer to move around it and populate it with more friendlies. There's bulletin boards you can use to do side missions with, usually involving killing somebody or hunting some animal down. There's GTA-style side games like knife throwing, racing.

The guns are fairly limited, usually 3-4 of each category (pistols/SMGs/ARs/etc.) Buy a gun once and it's yours forever although you can only carry a max of 4 with you. You have to return to the store/kiosk if you wanted to re-equip a certain weapon/tool. It took a page from MW/COD and you can purchase upgrades for your guns, extended mags, red dots, camo, etc.

Graphics are gorgeous. Lush and tropical, it rivals the beauty of Skyrim. Frame rate is OK although I did notice stuttering when I was in a full-on brawl in the jungle.

I have some minor complaints about it, like how arbitrary the crafting is. I can make a weapon holster out of goat hide for my second weapon slot, but for my fourth weapon slot I need shark skin, how the hell do you kill a shark? If I can make a wallet that holds $2000 out of deer skin, can't I just make a bigger wallet that holds $4000 out of more deer skin? Nooooo, I gotta go find some fucking cassowaries. And I still haven't found a single boar to make mag pouches with.

It also tries too hard to be funny. You know when you're a kid and you're cool and then your parents try to be cool to relate and it just comes out awkward? Yea, that. The codec is tedious simply because somebody tried too hard to be funny.

It sounds like the multiplayer component is pretty weak although I haven't tried it for myself. Nothing rivaling COD/MW for sure. There's also a 4 player co-op, but it's designed for 4 players and it doesn't scale so it's supposed to be a grind with just 2 players.

Those are pretty minor complaints however, this is a solid game. If you enjoy open world games like the ones I mentioned above, you're gonna love Far Cry 3.

YouTube Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb5pXSN_BSI
    IGN Review: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/21/far-cry-3-review
    Metacritic Score 90: http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/far-cry-3
  19. DNFjoe

DNFjoe Did Not Finnish

Oddometer:
    Borderlands 2 shift codes are availible on their facebook page, you get 5 keys to the chest in Sanctuary. Looks like the codes are good for 24 hours or more this time.
  20. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    Just hooked up the GTX 660 today and damn PC games can look nice :eek1

I finished Assassins Creed 1 Saturday and loaded up 3 (it was free with the card) to see the graphics and :eek1 :eek1 :

Also the Dell T3500 case is a mess and at the same time amazing, this is a similar model and roughly what it looks like:

[​IMG]

But in those HD's swing out of the way and everything is held in with plastic cages and clips, so I installed the video card without a single tool.