Motorcycle Industry is Doomed

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by HelmetHead Cycle, Jan 7, 2013.

1. ct-ktm

ct-ktm Long timer

Oddometer:
    There might not be any new Harley's around but I would be good money there will be new KTM's...:deal

Harley like most companies wanted to get bigger and bigger and probably made a lot more from products not bikes ..People are changing and don't want to spend $75.00 for a $25.00 shirt that says Harley..
    On the bright side the used ones will be more affordable maybe..

My 4 year old Grandson will be getting his first bike this spring..
  2. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:

:gerg I dunno, Gramps...

I wouldn't wear a used Harley shirt if you paid me. :nono
  3. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

What do you base this Myth on? :ear

Apparel accounts for less than 11% :deal That includes the T-shirts, Leather Jackets, Assless chaps, Helmets, Boots, Gloves, Glasses....

"Revenue from MotorClothes® apparel and accessories, (not parts) was $75.1 million, up 3.1 percent compared to the year-ago period."

Not sure where you found $75 t-shirts??? Ours are $30 and they must be priced right because we go through them very quickly.

"Revenue from motorcycles during the second quarter of 2012 of $1.22 billion was up 21.6 percent compared to the year-ago period. The Company shipped 83,502 motorcycles to dealers and distributors worldwide during the quarter, up 25.0 percent compared to shipments of 66,815 motorcycles in the second quarter of 2011."

:lurk
  4. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    I don't know, CT, but our local Harley dealer is selling quite a few new Harleys, Triumphs and Kawasakis. Sure, they are luxury items, toys, whatever, but I'm still buying them. I see a pretty steady stream of customers there. I see new Harleys all the time around here too. Is it wishful thinking that you aren't seeing new ones or what?
  5. jdfog2

jdfog2 Lawd I was born a Ramblin' Man

Oddometer:
    West Central Indiana and Ohhhhhhhhh Klahomah !
    :clap
    Super Sherpa's ROCK the Casbah!
    I wanted one pretty badly - or maybe any 250 DS that I could make into a Moto type bike. But at 6'3" and 260 lbs I kept getting odd looks every time I sat on one...(Not what kept me from buying one - I was worried about my effect on the suspension and figure it would cost over $1K to beef one up - a pretty large percentage of the cost of the bike.

So I got a VStrom. I am VERY happy with my Strom but I still want a 250 someday!
  6. jdfog2

jdfog2 Lawd I was born a Ramblin' Man

Oddometer:
    West Central Indiana and Ohhhhhhhhh Klahomah !
    I am retired military so I have a LOT of respect for our servicemen. However, we ARE raising a lot of pussies these days !

I think I read in a VFW Magazine that slightly less than 1% of males that have turned 18 in the U.S. since 2001 have or ever will have served in one of the military services.

That's not to say that the other 99% are pussies but let's face it - guys didn't get their (hair) tips frosted and wear skinny jeans and think it was cool to look like they were a unisex model 20 years ago.
    A Man should NEVER aspire to being thought of as "cute" by women (or other men for that matter). But I see all kinds of ?males? trying to look cute everyday in the workplace and out and about.

Manhood in general, but especially younger males - are in dire need of help in the U.S. - I imagine Western Europe is about the same (it seemed worse when I lived there for ten years).

IF you are a younger man and you're reading this - I am probably NOT talking about you because you (most likely) wouldn't be here if you fit that description.
  7. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    So back in your day what did the kool kids want to look like? Elvis?

Howsabout the Beatles,which one did you look like? Or maybe you favored a Mick Jagger or Jim Morrison look? You probably couldn't pull off a david Bowie. Yeah, everyone looked macho back in the old days!
  8. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    After all, when your role model is Justin Beiber or possibly Ice-T, you either get a latent homosexual, or wannabe gangster. What else is there?
  9. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Were I in the position to date, a guy will an up-to-date VAG-COM cable would be a keeper in my eyes..... Just sayin'......
  10. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Why? Because you don't like it? What's wrong with being cute? And for the matter of the thread, why should a cute man not ride a motorcycle? (Or how should being cute affect his manhood?)
  11. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    Due to a logisitics/customs F-up, I recently found my myself in Vegas without a belt. As I'd lost some weight, my trousers would have fallen down without one. The Harley shop in one of the hotels was the cheapest belt I could find (was about $22 IIRC) that was of reasonable quality and not gaudy/OTT (no disrespect, but a lot of American belts are a bit too 'Texan' for my conservative British tastes).

I kept the tag and bag and able to give it to my cousin (who likes Harley stuff) as a gift after my trip was over.

I never thought I'd buy any Harley clothing, but I'm glad I did in this instance!
  12. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Start a thread down in the basement and have fun with it. :sweeti
  13. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    "Real" men don't care if someone calls them cute, Dakez.
  14. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are confusing "male" for "Man" :deal
  15. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    nope.
  16. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spoken like a true metro-sexual. :lol3
  17. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    Spoken like someone with deep insecurities about his masculinity. It's ok, you aren't alone.

Me, I don't really care how butch someone is or isn't acting. Ride your own ride, wear your own pants.
  18. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :roflYou have it backwards

I am not lost and insecure like the limp wristed ones. Wear fem pants all you want to. Whatever floats your boat.... Just don't cry in my beer. :1drink
  19. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:

Whoa, you gave a used belt as a gift. How about 1 sock, too?

Relax, it's just a joke.
  20. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    As long as it gets me in her pants of course I care if I'm called cute. Still don't understand why it's wrong having done military service and being cute and riding motorcycles.