New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dealer called me today.......mid-January shipment.
  2. tyrsmkkyle

tyrsmkkyle off the ground.

Oddometer:
    St louis mo, by the big place with airplanes
    Sieg beat me to it. Mid jan indeed.
  3. mezcal

mezcal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well the bike ran perfectly, aside from one thing.
    The odometer reset itself. I unplugged a few things around the battery so I guess that is the reason. Is this something only a dealer can fix, and will the computer know how many km I do after the reset and from before hand?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
  4. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's funny you say that Mezcal, as mine did the same during its trip to Terry ...

Be interested to know if there is a way to reset it ...
  5. Just_P_Dirty

Just_P_Dirty Its more fun when Dirty!

Oddometer:
    I am planing to do this soon and i dont have the service man- what torq specs did u use? what did you mean about freeze it and put back in?

thanks
  6. mezcal

mezcal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine only went back to 000000 km after I unplugged some cables last night. Yesterday it must have been fine as I went out for a 60km loop, this morning when I started it I noticed it was at zero km...
    Must have been a coincidence, or did you drive through heavy rain then unplug all the wiring because your bike was coughing and spluttering too :)

Im sure I read somewhere that it can be fixed and the original distance on the odo isn't lost.

7. mezcal

mezcal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pirelli MT21 rear isnt handling the rocks as well as the 606 did...[​IMG]
    3 other Centre knobs like it too :)
    Probably about 500km old

8. travelingaustralian

travelingaustralian Globe Trotting

Oddometer:
    After buying my new ktm 690R almost 6 months ago while still living and working down in Antarctica, I had a chance to ride it for the first time. Can anyone suggest a good tuner in the Melbourne area? Bike is running like crap! On the Advanced setting it stalls runs rough and dangerous off idle with the bike stalling and locking up the rear wheel. It has had mapping installed to suit the changed exhaust and air intake. When I changed the setting to 0 and did the 15 minute idle from cold reset bike run great? I did this because I read others that had done this and there bike ran ok. 0 is for bad fuel? Why does it run so well on this setting? What is it going to do to the bike long term as they say only to run it on one tank?? The bike has had filters cleaned and the tank was drained and new fuel as it has sat for a little while. I have just finish fitting the Rally Raid Tanks turning it from standard to an Adventure bike.
    Here are a couple pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  9. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, nothing unusual in the riding post surgery ...

I asked the question here at the time, and someone said that this can happen after the battery is disconnected for a long period ...

To be honest, I don't think they went about removing the shock the easy way - i.e. by lifting up the sub-frame - they took it out from above, having removed the airbox and disconnected the battery - I was a bit surprised when I got back and saw all this stuff on the floor ...

After that, the odometer had reset itself ...
  10. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    What silencer is that fitted?
  11. travelingaustralian

Oddometer:

Hi John, Its a Vance and Hines slip on.
  12. mezcal

mezcal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine was all back together when I got there. Today while washing it I noticed the silencer clamp had moved slightly making me think the wings pipe was removed, other than that I see no evidence of anything being removed.

I also rode mine twice after Terry did the work on Friday, its only today when I started the bike I noticed the odo on zero. Yesterday it was fine.
    I keep blowing bloody headlight globes though.. 5 in 2 years!

13. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Strange coincidence ...

I did tell them quietly that that was not the easy way to take the shock out of a 690 - told them about a few web demos ...

I don't know whether any of this is relevant, or just pure chance ...

Two bikes / identical procedure / two reset odometers ...

Although the lag of a day or so in your case is a bit hard to understand ...

Anyway, be good to know if you discover a way to put the kms back on it - unrealistically low kms are always a disincentive for secondhand bike buyers ...
  14. DanTheMan07

DanTheMan07 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To remove the steering stem from the lower triple you have to pound it out, if you dont have a press. Its a tight fit putting it back in. So i think he put the stem in the freezer to get it to shrink slightly to make it easier to press, or pound back in the lower triple. Mine took significant persuading to remove and put back in place. Didn't try the freezer thing, it might have helped.
  15. Monterey_BS

Monterey_BS On or Off - not sure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happened to me at 878mi. Bad battery in my case. Battery replaced under warranty. Dealer offered to send the unit to KTM to be reset to correct values, but it could take several weeks to get it back. They said they were not authorized to make any changes. My solution was to add 878 to the mileage formula in my cost spreadsheet for the bike.
  16. AccelRus MaxiMus

AccelRus MaxiMus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. travelingaustralian

Oddometer:
  18. mezcal

mezcal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bugger sounds like an easy fix isn't going to happen.
    Ill call the bike shop tomorrow. Thanks for the reply

19. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see you still have the stock snorkel, this is likely where your idling problems are coming from. Take a look throughout the ECU Thread here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685657. Quite a few mods to the stock snorkel. What filter are you using?

It's worthwhile getting TuneECU (it's free) and the relevant cables, this will let you see what fault codes are being logged by your ecu. I saw when I was editing the quote that you are using a Mac - TuneECU is windows only so you will have to partition your drive and install a version of windows, this means you need an external HD to back up onto. I'd get Win7 if you can, avoid Win8 at all costs.

When you reinstalled the air box how did you route the throttle cables, under or over the front r/h air box mounting bolt? If you've got bar risers fitted this may have put the cables under strain - there are other here with more knowledge than me on that topic though.

Another thought: when you were following the RR instructions did you undo the throttle cables to thread them through the r/h plastic frame guard? Many here, myself included just cut the guard, more quick and simple. Again, TuneECU will tell you of problems here.
  20. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have had problems with slow running with Leo Vince fitted, even after using Tuneboy re mapping.
    Do you have anyone near with a different silencer to try?