The KTM 500 XC-W Thread.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Geek, Mar 16, 2012.

1. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:
    Pinewood Springs, CO(between Lyons and Estes Park)
    The tank is a bit skinnier than the stock tank with shrouds.

[​IMG]

First thing I noticed was a clearance problem with the Enduro Engineering radiator guards.

[​IMG]

A simple bend of the radiator mount relieved that issue. You may not want to do this. I'm okay with it.

[​IMG]

The second issue was up near the top of the radiator guard. It was rubbing against the tank. So I filed down the radiator guard so the surface was smooth and not a sharp edge.

[​IMG]

The pump dropped in very nicely and the two new mount bolts below aligned well(you reuse your old o-rings) and everything snugged up very well. The screws for mounting the electronic portion should NOT be tightened very tight. Be careful here. They say 2ft/lbs of torque.

It is wider across the thigh for sure.

[​IMG]

The tank to plastic area has a gap.

[​IMG]

But overall I'm going to enjoy the range.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Acerbis did a very nice job on this tank.

Now I need to go for a ride!
  2. helotaxi

helotaxi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did moving the fuel pump over to the new tank help out your fuel flow issue?
  3. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:
    Pinewood Springs, CO(between Lyons and Estes Park)
    Nope. Pump is not working:cry
  4. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    If you take the fuel pump and just jumper 12 volts to it.. does it pump?

Anyone know if it has a brushed motor inside? Perhaps a hung brush on the commutator? Try tapping it on the end?

I'm guessing out of my arse cuz I don't even know where the fuel pump is on the thing yet :rofl
  5. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    my apologies for the cross post; since I started it in both I should finish it in both in case someone happens upon it looking for info.

*paste*

So I got up early to get some wrenching in before we head up hiking in the mountains for the day... I wanted to get a mental grasp on what types of things I am still going to have to work out.. like wiring (yay! I have room to mount my horn :D ) brake line routing, etc.

Here's a bunch more pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's what makes this design so stout...
    notice our triple clamps have two holes on each side (I took this photo last night when doing a spring swap)
    [​IMG]

Paul has designed his system so that the center bolts go through the risers like normal...
    [​IMG]

..but instead of the rear top clamp just bolting the clamp down, it goes all the way through and into that second triple clamp bolt meaning the entire system is bolted to the top triple with four 12mm bolts instead of two!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since I already have the HDB system for crash guards and top clamp installed on my bike; everything bolted straight up quickly
    [​IMG]
  6. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Looking at the tree...

Looking down from the top - you can see how the tree mount extends in front of the HDB instrument guard
    [​IMG]

The bottom of the tree goes in with two bolts to the existing holes in the lower triple
    [​IMG]

The top of the tree mounts up with four bolts
    [​IMG]

test fitting - everything aligns perfectly.

[​IMG]
  7. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Roadbook system.

A big reason for me installing this is for Roadbook usage. The thing is, sadly that is only a small percentage of seat time.

...so for me the system has to 1) work and 2) be easy to remove!

The roadbook installs on the machined tower sticking up from the top
    [​IMG]

Here you can see how the mounting bracket on the f2r wraps around the pivot
    [​IMG]

Then another machined clamp and 4 nuts and its mounted - obviously easy to adjust the viewing angle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With stock headlight mask
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

...then here is the cool part... 4 bolts (the tower bolts - not the roadbook's rotation bolts)... and in under a minute:
    [​IMG]

the entire thing comes off. I'm going to come up with some sort of a bracket that goes across with a RAM ball so I can mount my GPS in the space.

[​IMG]

Now I'm back to regular "dirtbike" mode.

[​IMG]

btw.. the mount for the roadbook has multiple mounting holes so you can fine tune how high or low you want your road book to be.

[​IMG]

Combine that with all of the holes in the frame (the 6 holes by my thumb).. and you can fine tune the roadbook to exactly where you want it.
    [​IMG]

If you want the roadbook further forward, just move the re-enforcement brace to the rear.
    [​IMG]

Overall I'm impressed with how well thought out this solution is.

Now I just gotta figure out my part of the equation.. how I want my brake line routed, my wiring loom positioned, etc.
  8. empedrado

empedrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn I am going to have to get one of those road book holders to mount my gps!!
  9. Lappeman

Lappeman He's Down Again!

Oddometer:
    Looking awesome Geek :clap

way too advanced for me though!

Get that thing together and get out riding...it's great riding right now, I've never seen it so good in Colorado...wait a minute, I've never been here in the summer before :rofl

Anyone get a poor out of work Carpenter a green card :evil
  10. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:
    I use a Golan inline it is a 10 Micron but large filter area. really nice. Thne I removed te one nearest the FI unit. Here is a link to pic of it on mine these are fantastic and eliminate the problem completely. the screen inside is cleanaabel so onthe trail you can clean it anywhere.

[​IMG]
  11. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    So for those times when I'm riding without a roadbook...

I mounted a RAM ball to one of the existing holes:
    [​IMG]

allowing me to use my various arms and device holders...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...added a second ball (need a shorter bolt for the first)

[​IMG]

...giving me lots of options
    [​IMG]

Now I can't wait for HDB to finish the fairing to protect all of this stuff :thumb

[​IMG]

I think next I'm going to install some powerlets in my top clamp so I can charge my phone like I do on the 950
    [​IMG]
  12. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Do you have a model number or a link online to where you got it?
    I want to do exactly the same thing.. get rid of all the little fiddly filters and put in a single serviceable unit.

:freaky
  13. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Get your application in sooner than later... took me 11 years to get my green card :freaky
  14. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Updated pics with two Squadrons and the 13L tank installed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:
    Obama is about to fix that for ya!

now back to ORANGE!:clap
  16. dvwalker

dvwalker Lets go

Oddometer:
    I'm going down the same route with Paul's new rally tree and and 2 squadrons, so created this little table to help clarify when the total draw (in amps) will go negative and start draining the battery. I have an exc so a couple of the minor draw items may not apply to a xc-w. With both squadron's running and OM stator, one needs to really watch things like the cooling fan and other added accessories...of coarse this will always happen with Murphy on riding on the back in the middle of BF Egypt.

[​IMG]
    note: 13v used as nominal voltage; amps = watts / 13V
  17. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I plan on running two squadrons also, but intend on getting one Spot and one flood. My set up will use a PWM dimmer with a high beam by-pass for the LED lights. I will run only the flood squadron dimmed (22 Watts) for low beam and the flood at full power, plus the spot at full power for high beam. This should save quite a bit of power.
  18. nzcvlh

nzcvlh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    does the electrical architecture of the KTM allow the bike to start (kick) with a dead, shorted, or missing battery. Thought the folks working on the electrical loading damands might have an idea. Battery failed on my F800GS while running and everything shut off dead immediately. Apparently the new WR450 has this capability.... at least it is claimed.
    Thanks
    Dave
  19. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:
    Disconnect the battery and try it.
  20. helotaxi

helotaxi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can shed a little light on that one, though not provide a complete answer. After installing the Sicass switch housing, I accidentally left the ignition on (headlight off) and didn't discover it until about a week later. Battery completely dead, so dead, in fact that it didn't register on the Battery Tender and showed an open circuit with a DMM. I kicked on it for several minutes and got the FI light to flicker with each kick but it never turned over completely and I never got it started. I can't say that will never start or run with the battery removed but it certainly won't start easily. To make sure that it isn't just me, I'll kick it today with the new, charged battery installed.