2013 Husqvarna 650 Terra

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by grunkster, Sep 11, 2012.

1. RuggedExposure

RuggedExposure Now with more rugged

Oddometer:
    The Pirelli's I put on are awful for wobble. Can't wait to burn them off.

I can't believe the Shinko Golden Boy has been the best tire up front so far...
  2. farp

farp DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer:
    I went from 28PSI to 32PSI but it didn't make any difference. It's really surprising because there isn't a great deal of difference in the tread patterns between the Saharas and the K60 Scouts but there is a big difference in on pavement performance strictly because of the weaving. I also put "Ride On" in each tire so that they would be dynamically balanced.

I went to the Heidenaus because they were reported to give much better mileage, and were cheaper. Now I'm considering throwing the front tire away and buying a new Sahara in the hope that will fix the problem. If it does the front and rear tires will probably need replacing about the same time. I did about 100 miles in the dirt yesterday (FSRs and 4WD tracks) with 32 PSI front and rear and to my surprise the bike didn't handle too badly at all, and the front gave me lots of warning when it started to lose its bite. At least with those pressures I don't have to worry too much about pinch flats.

John
  3. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    You on drugs?
  4. rride

rride Honda NH 750

Oddometer:
    LOL, it is just a certain gear the DR is at the start of a power band, rpm, and the KTM is at a lower rpm (should be in a lower gear). That is a one gear scenario. But you have to hold your legs out, stand on your head, and kick your legs back and forth.

There is no way the rice burner can hold anything close to a KTM OR the Husky Terra. The Husky is the ultimate reliable built engine, bar none. Tell the rice burner to tell it to his followers who believe him. It is pure bs. It is not faster NOR more reliable than a Terra: period.
  5. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    :nod :lol3

I had a DR650 a number of years ago.... wanted to give one a try and see how it compared to all my dualsported dirtbikes.
    Good handling bike, but not as powerful as my XR600's and the damper rod fork was a constant let down.

Among the many worthwhile upgrades, mine had an IMS tank, DR350 18" rear wheel, Eibach shock spring and Racetech fork innards that made the fork a marginally ok performer.

Overall a very good bike and a one I could trust just about anywhere I took it....but it was not what I'd consider very powerful or fast, mostly adequate and trustworthy.
  6. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    We're in the market for a 650 single - maybe two of them - as we have reached that stage in life where bikes we've had for years suddenly get too big and too heavy.
    Mrs P quite likes the BMW 650 Sertao, though it is no longer the King Single that it's granpa, the Dakar, once was. Now it just looks dated and frumpy, trendy "mud"-spattered graphics notwithstanding. The instrumentation is rubbish, the components come from parts-bins across Europe, and Asia and chain-life is fleeting.
    At least it only has one indicator switch.

Yesterday I rode a Husky 650 - not the Terra, but the Strada. Sadly, it feels like a Sertao in a cheap dress, well worth almost all it's heavily discounted price.
    I've sat on more comfortable benches in troopships, had less windblast while skydiving - and, a first for me - less understeer in a turbocharged Saab on wet tramlines. There is no way I'd chase the horizon on that seat - my prostate doesn't have that much of a sense of humour.

I fear that to get the Terra up to what we'd expect in terms of instruments that can be read without Braille, at least some form of windscreen, a centre-stand, racks & soft-bags, we'd be getting into Triumph Tiger-ette territory.
    Even the Pegaso is beginning to look good. Note that AFAIC the KLR and DR are just too agricultural and antidiluvian to be taken seriously in the 21st century.

It's a pity, the Scotsman in me (not that there is one - or any man for that matter) really wanted to like the Husky 650 and its current pricing. We shall see what the Domestic Goddess has to say when she gets to ride it on Saturday.
  7. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why is this bike 400 pounds?
  8. SocalRob

SocalRob Super Moderator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Because it sells for $5,500 instead of $10,500?
  9. farp

farp DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer:
    It's a true 50/50 bike. Weight makes a bike more stable on the street but is not so good off road. I guess they thought that they needed 400 pounds for freeway stability and that any more than that would become too objectionable when the pavement ends.
  10. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its a 650 single, right?
    The DR650 is lighter, and its a hundreds of years old design.
    I think they used them during the war of 1812.

Its about the same weight as a KLR taking into account the extra gas the klr holds.

A 400 pound single cylinder dirt bike?
  11. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice looking bike, the price seems good, and I expected it to be 350 pounds wet, which is still on the heavy side.
    Its crazy to add weight to any bike, more road hugging weight???
  12. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is true.

BMW tried to make a bike with this engine around 350# in the G650X and in today's money it would cost $10,500 or more.

It just a HUGE lump of an engine and when hung in a cheaper steel frame with a steel swing arm you get a 400# bike.

FWIW it is a little lighter than its BMW GS cousin.
  13. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    I think we've found a real genius here ... and he's SO SURE OF HIMSELF! Imagine what he'll do when he sobers up! :lol3

Hey Rugged Exposure ... sure you don't want to go back to theorizing on KTM/Husky future? Honestly mate, brings a better class of people. (with IQ's over 60! :D)
  14. RuggedExposure

RuggedExposure Now with more rugged

Oddometer:

Arggh! I'd rather deal with this goofiness than the political theories guessing which way Pierrer will go, the outcome of the TR, and which hand he uses to rub one out. :puke2

This is at least entertaining to a point.

Why are there only a few of us posting pictures of our bikes? Did Husky only sell 3 of them?
  15. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    Are you sure those numbers are for 2012? They are about what KTM claimed for the 2008 - 2011. Those 690's were actually 654 cc. From 2012 on, the motor size is actually 690 cc (increased stroke) and KTM claims about 70 HP for those newer motors. They newer motors are noticeably stronger.
  16. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    :stupid
  17. rride

rride Honda NH 750

Oddometer:

The BMW X bikes also had to have a 40 lb frame attachment for riders over 225 lbs. The Terra carries a payload of over 400 lbs (includes cargo and options too though). Look at what it carries. It's 95% of a race bike but it carries what real people need. IF it can outrun a KTM Duke (needs verification), why do you need it any lighter, freight costs? I don't need a folding tin foil bike that needs rebuilding monthly. It is perfect as you can get.
  18. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree. At some point you just have to make a good bike and have it be affordable. Let the buyers put in the extra $2000 to make it really great.
  19. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Ah, but do they also have to do the final Product Development and QA inspection functions too, like they do when they buy a BMW?

So you're saying it's okay to sell three-quarters of a bike for three-quarters of the final price - and let owners make up their minds what they want the bike to be & look like?

Can you even GET footboards, 6-bend pull-backs, fog-lights and disc wheels to fit a Terra?
  20. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am just saying that they seem to have a pretty good base bike, and the price allows most people to afford it and change it how they want.