Putting registration on hold?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by KTM_Paul, May 5, 2013.

1. KTM_Paul

KTM_Paul Sans KTM

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys, how does puttung rego on hold work?
    I believe it can be done for any length of time starting at 3 months?
    Is there a limit to how often it can be done?
    Is there a mimimum time you can have it back in rego for? for example If I put it on hold for 3 months then came over and rode it for a week could I then put it on hold for another 3 months? because wouldn't that mean that my 12 month rego would effectively last (ummm 1 week every 3 months is 4 weeks a year so divide 52 by 4 ....) 13 years?
    and what if I bought a bike and put rego on hold for say 6 months then came over and wanted to go for a ride after 4 months, can I "unhold" it earlier?
    Cheers
    Paul
  2. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    Hi Paul, you can go on line to http://www.nzta.govt.nz/, but it may only work if you have an NZ licence.
    You can put them on hold for any length of time over 3 months, I have been told you can then do them for days at a time but thats unconfirmed.
    However I found out that if you put it on hold for 3 months and then want to use it say the last week, you have to pay the lot.
  3. KTM_Paul

KTM_Paul Sans KTM

Oddometer:
    Well I THINK I have a NZ Licence!? the last one I got never had an expiry date on it? but that's probably all changed by now :huh

So when you say "if you put it on hold for 3 months and then want to use it say the last week, you have to pay the lot" does that mean you can only put the rego on hold if it has expired? and you can't put a regoed bike on Hold when not being used?
  4. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    No, 3 months is the minimum, so if you put it on hold for 3 months then want to re-reg at 2.5 months you pay for that time also.

Check out the LTNZ site for more details.

Cheers
    Clint
  5. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    Is your licience a credit card sized one with you piccy on it? prior to that we had a 'lifetime' one on plastic paper.... till they realised they could make money on it.
  6. TransalperNZ

TransalperNZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From my recent experiences with the process...
    Your bike will need a current Warrant of Fitness when you want to take the registration off hold.
    The rego on hold thing only takes effect from the time the Rego expires.
    The minimum Hold period is 3 months and must be arranged before the Rego expires or you will have to pay the backdated difference from the date of expiry until current.
    When on hold if you want to take it off hold before the 3 month minimum has passed then you have to pay the full fee backdated to when it first went on hold.
    You can put it on hold for over 3 months (say 12 months for example) and register again anytime after the 3 month minimum without issue.

Not tested this and conversation happened a couple of years ago now but... After the 3 month minimum hold I was told I could register for a day or two or what ever short period if I wanted, but after that it would have to hold for another 3 month minimum or fees will be backdated again.

You can put on hold for 3 months, then 3 months later put it on hold again but once it has been on hold for the first 3 month period you can take it off hold anytime, that is to say the 3 month minimum period does not start over with consecutive holds.

Registering for 3 months at a time 4 times in a row costs slightly more than registering once for a 12 month period so short registration periods are less value for money unless (as you intend) you are not using the bike for the whole period and remember the hold period can not start until the rego is due to expire.

From the New Zealand Transport Agency website, two main pages of interest...
    Exemptions and putting on hold.
    www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/registration-licensing/exemptions.html
    Quote:
    Licensing...
    www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/registration-licensing/licensing.html

Hope that helps a bit more.
  7. Steve in NZ

Steve in NZ scared/cheap

Oddometer:
    maximum time on hold 1 year. but at the 1 year stage or just before you can put on hold for another year.
    if you leave it for more than 1 year u have to re-register. bit of a hassle

Apart from two 3 month periods my bike has been on hold for the last 6 years. don't ride much. :rofl:rofl:rofl

always has a warrant of fitness that is displayed off the number plate & visible.

now for a rant. can't drive my car and bike at same time so why should you pay for 2 regnos. so much for user pays.

also all these people that ride chook chasers who end up in hospital, what do they pay, nothing I am aware of that's fair. Not
  8. TransalperNZ

Oddometer:
    By that I'm thinking you mean if you don't register and don't put it on hold so it's clocking up fees for a year... eventually it becomes de-registered at which time the plates are no longer valid.?
  9. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    . I have had bikes reg on hold for longer than a year with no communication from them stating I have to re-register. In fact if it isn't being used for more than a year it may be cheaper to re-register/revin?

I don't bother actually regoing my bike anymore - it is cheaper to pay the fines. Demerits are another thing tho. In saying that the last time I said that I got a ticket that avo:evil
  10. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    I've had a 'project bike' on hold since 1997 :D
    Bikes over 40 years old are only $117 a year, building up a 1974 BMW ADV bike would make sense.....well sort of.
    ACC takes the greater chunk, of which dirt bike riders pay nothing directly as their 'accidents' come out of the General Fund. Race bikes are the same.
  11. msmckeon

msmckeon Just ahead of the sweeps

Oddometer:
  12. KTM_Paul

KTM_Paul Sans KTM

Oddometer:
    Ok so lets see if I got this right ...
    I bought a GN250 :D Rego will run out sometime in August and I am over the first weekend in August, then plan to be over in the end of December and End of April, so I should come over in August and take the bike for a ride to see if I like it :huh then I let the Rego run out but put it on hold for 4 months, re-Rego it in December for a couple of weeks, ride it in December, back on hold for 4 months then re-rego in April for a couple of weeks and put it back on Hold until probably the next trip in December next year? :deal right?
  13. TransalperNZ

Oddometer:
    I think so.
    Guess you could email NZTA to confirm.

Going for some novelty value with choosing a GN though are we. :huh
  14. KTM_Paul

KTM_Paul Sans KTM

Oddometer:
    You tell me, what's more adventurous ... skippers Canyon on a GS1200 or on a GN250 :evil
    I just couldn't get over how cheap they are in NZ, for what I paid for my 2006 model with 18k I would have got a 1990 model with 50k here!
  15. Mathias52

Mathias52 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you don't put your rego on hold and don't pay to register it after a year the plates become dead. I worked out for a bike over 600cc would cost approx $1000 to re-vin it. For a bike 600cc and under approx $700 to re-vin it.

broken down the costs are approx
    $300 vtnz cost which includes warrant
    $273 or $330 for 6 months rego cost (changes depending on 61-600cc or 601cc+)
    also need a brake declaration form which means paying a bike shop to pull your brakes apart, measure the discs and pads and filling out the form so this would cost however much the bike shop charges you, (you cant do this yourself-has to be independent)

keeping it registered or on hold is a lot less work and money than re-vinning your bike, Or be like me and use your bike all year round.
  16. Steve in NZ

Steve in NZ scared/cheap

Oddometer:
    I am still awaiting one of our English friends from norfland to give his views:rofl
  17. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Safest is to put it on hold for 12 months at a time.
    You can re-reg at any time after the 3month min no problem.
  18. KTM_Paul

KTM_Paul Sans KTM

Oddometer:
    Cheers guys, good info :D