Garmin Oregon.....Thoughts/Reviews/Opinions?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Piston, Jan 3, 2009.

1. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    byways and countdown sittin' in a tree.

sorry, I had to.

:hide

When deleting files always back them up first. Instead of just deleting them cut and paste them in a separate folder on your hard drive just in case things go south on the unit and you've got to restore the 'deleted' file.
  2. deeve

deeve Adventure Lite

Oddometer:
    Its been a while since this was first posted, but any way to remove a pin without hitting the back arrow and getting bumped back?
  3. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Nope. Unlike the Montana, there is no way to cancel a pushpin without leaving the scrolled map. Just checked my wife's 550 which has the most recent software.
  4. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    It's happened again ... A track name appears in the list in the Oregon 450, but is unresponsive. When I look at the Oregon's memory in Explorer/My Computer/Removable disc/Garmin/GPX folder, there's nothing in it.

Yet I can't delete it from the list of track on the unit.

Again ... Thoughts?

5. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I had a file I couldn't delete on my Montana and I was able to get rid of it by Archiving it first. I couldn't open it, but I could Archive it.

Go figure.
  6. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Well heck ... I plugged it into a different computer, and lots of things showed up using Windows Explorer, under "My Computer/Garmin/GPX." Including the track I needed to delete (which showed up as "Imported ..." not as the track name).

Problem was the new Belkin USB hub I just bought ... Replaced, and all's well. Thanks for the response nonetheless.
  7. georgedaman

georgedaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After reading this thread I have a few questions and answers .
    I have a 450 hardwired with the cheapest Chinese kit i got for my Nuvi a few years ago

• Alarm clock volume is very low on my 450.Is that normal?
    • Is it possible to search for a "trail" on the unit ? (..Oak Ridges Trail etc)?
    I think the USB issue starts with the the straight or the up pointing usb plug ,plus the weight of the cable that drags on it.
    I ended up slicing the 90 degree plug and turn the metal plug with the wires upside down.
    Glued the cut back ,secured the wire to the closest part on the handlebar with ziptie, appr 6" behind the plug.
    Got on elastic around the mount and the plug and no hiccups ever since..
    I don't even bother to install batteries anymore which makes the unit even lighter.
  8. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Ain't Rocket Science just a kick in the butt... :evil
  9. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    My waypoint manager icon/button has vanished. Any way of getting it back short of resetting defaults?
  10. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    you porbably accidentally deleted it from your main menu.

Click on SETUP
    Scroll down to MAIN MENU
    and scroll over all the way to the right. Your deleted buttons should be greyed out. Click on it and it should show up again.
  11. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Oh my heck, C'dos ... You are as amazing as they say!

Wasn't sure if I was supposed to also press the + symbol that appeared when I touched the grayed-out button, so I just went ahead and pressed it.

Waypoint manager lives again. Thank you!
  12. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    When one clicks on the name of a track, and a menu of choices appears ... What is the functional difference between "View Map" and "Show on Map/Hide on Map"?

I'm kinda thinking that if I choose "Show on Map," the track will appear on the screen/map whenever I'm in proximity to it.

1,000 thanks again ...
  13. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    View Map shows you the track in its entirety on the screen. Show on map does what you said.
  14. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Awesome. That's what I was hoping. Thanks, Emmbeedee ...
  15. deeve

deeve Adventure Lite

Oddometer:
    Looking to get my Oregon 450 connected to my KLR650. I would like to have it powered all the time so that I can read the screen. I know in the past there have been problems with the USB plugs falling out. What is the current thoughts on what to use to keep that to a minimum?

DAVE
  16. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Falling out is the least of your issues. Burning and wearing out are far more of a problem. I lost count of how many Oregons I killed from using USB to power them. Finally gave up and went to the 78 and Montana line, both having far better power options.

I suggest you sell the Oregon while it still works and get something better.
  17. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    My Oregon 300 is still going strong. It does get babied though...

[​IMG]
  18. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    I just use lithium batts and carry spares for my 450.

19. deeve

deeve Adventure Lite

Oddometer:
    One of the reasons I like having it powered all the time is that the screen backlight can remain on. I thought if it is run on battery it shuts off or kills the battery too quickly. Can it run for a while?
  20. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    I don't recall how long the lithiums last, but it seems adequate. On my klr the usb connection will not power my 450 reliably at all ... shuts down continually I assume due to the vibration.