V649HP-Kawasaki's new gravel runner

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by jdrocks, Dec 13, 2010.

1. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    the Protek clamps are just one of a number of similar clamps, a popular size in 41mm since it's the size of the common HD inner. you should check around, Protek is notorious for certain size clamps out of stock for months.

PM ADV inmate mpowers for more details on the Ninja build in the photo, he can answer any questions. it's a very cool build and well constructed.
  2. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    JD, are any of my comments ringing the memory of what post that picture of the bar clamps came from. I think if I can find that post I can do a little searching on text in the post and maybe find the machine shop.

David
  3. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:

no, don't recall that thread/post. the bar clamp in the photo would be specific to the Versys (KLE650) only, since it replaces the proprietary OEM clamp used only on this model. you are correct in saying it's a euro product, but country of origin uncertain.

you can get a sniff using google, and a photo of a modified streetfighter Versys they were used on (nice job on the bike), but i couldn't find a link.

a bunch of LSL aftermarket parts were also used on the same bike, it might be possible to get some info from them.

if they were in production, you would think they could sell a bunch.

any help appreciated.
  4. OHjim

OHjim Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    Looks like we have a winner. If you go to that www.xt500.de link, you will see an email icon in the upper left corner of the window. Maybe he'll be able to give you an answer.

David
  6. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    yeah, i emailed the guy from the xt500 site a long time ago, no response, no bounce. it almost looks like the the RMI/MEK are the same base with different bar clamps. the RMI powdercoated black for the black bike build.
  8. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i don't have my OEM R1 spring handy to confirm the physical dimensions of this spring, BUT if the spring is the metric equivalent of 2.25x7", then here is another source to replace the 9kg/mm OEM spring with a spring rate suitable for the direct connected Versys/ER6 suspension.

Cannon Racecraft custom R1 springs now cost almost double what i paid a few years ago. good product, and no complaints with their service at all, just the price.

confirm your spring dimension, then check here...

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?t...5_Inch_ID_-_2&form_prod_id=930&action=product

i have not used this spring. please report back on your experience if you do.
  9. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    Funny, I had found the same spring & have orderd the 950lb version since I plan on a 2" swing arm extension & some two up riding if the bike transport company ever brings me the bike :cry

I have the R1 shock, a spare swingarm, some Fastway pegs, Honda CRF brackets all waiting on a bike to put them on.....
  10. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    passenger footrests?

don't remember that bike having any, or are you using the Versys struts.
  11. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    I plan to go somewhere between the "dongle" and KTMKLX's 3/16" steel version for rider pegs using the Fastways & CRF bolt on brackets. I broke a footpeg off a Honda when I was a kid & that landing ended very bad, I'm 230lbs and AZ terrain sneaks up on you sometimes, I don't want to even think about breaking a peg.
    I have a pair of versys passenger brackets to possibly adapt. I also bought a pair of Berg DIY luggage hoops that I may incorporate the passenger pegs on the lower leg depending on how everything looks & how my wife fits. I've got a pile of parts waiting on a motorcycle :deal
  12. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i can see that you would like that bike to show up soon.

for a bike home-based in the SW, i would consider a prefilter of some sort. i haven't seen junk on the wrong side of the filter, but it has been reported.

helps to have a spare filter along for a gravel road trip so it can be changed out easily. i always carry one when i anticipate plenty of dusty conditions, although i've never had to change on the fly.
  13. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Just an fyi I bought the cr brackets and ims pro pegs and something isn't right. They don't lay flat when mounted vertical. I ned to grind some off the peg for it to work
  14. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    the Fastways have an M6 adjuster on the pivot side so you can set the angle to level or whatever you want, a very nice feature on a beefy footrest.
  15. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:

My 2.25" spring showed up & it will need a spacer to be right. The stock spring is like 55mm & although I'm sure the spring would stay on, I'm going to make or buy spacers to keep it properly centered.
  16. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    you would think that with all the work done with this R1 shock that someone would have sourced a spring in the proper weight, custom or OEM, that was inexpensive and a perfect fit, no collar...besides Cannon. i must have hit the jackpot the first time around.

part of the problem with the R1 is the usage, going from linked to direct coupled. can't use the cheap springs available in the 10kg range that would work for the linked setup.
  17. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    The 55mm to 58mm spring bushings are $2.99 each plus shipping from Race Tech & they do list them specifically for the R-1, so it's still very economical to buy the 2.25" x 7 spring at ~$70 and there are lots of spring rate choices out there.
  18. Ednukey

Ednukey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Reference this: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20753972&postcount=396

The spacers you mention in your later post work great, and visually - you barely notice them. I've used them with the same brand of spring. In fact, the larger diameter spring is very helpful for both installation and removal, compared to smaller diameter stock spring.
  19. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:

i'd still prefer an inexpensive direct fit spring. if it's out there, seems someone would have found it by now.
  20. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    I look at it differently, with a simple spacer we have access to a very commonly available spring from multiple vendors