HDB’s Ultimate Handguards and 10% discount

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by HDB, Jan 17, 2010.

1. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys, I'm still here, we have taken long weekends the last 2 weekends and I very behind on my emails, the priority has been to get all the orders out timely, I'll work at trying to clear them all.

Dean, I apologize for yours, I did read the PM notification and it didn't occur to me to check the HDB account, I've quit using that as I was warned about having 2 ADV accounts. Anyone wishing to PM me please send them to me at theantipaul.

Thanks
  2. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    While I don't make shorter guards yet that will work with the BRP/Bones type adapters, the guards and Flexx bars work fine bolted up normally with a Delrin washer between the swivel guard joint.

Let me know if that makes sense.
  3. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    Hi Kurlee, as far as a 1200, I haven't a clue as I haven't knowingly done one yet.

To try I'd need to know the bolt pattern of the top clamp, if it has stock bars with bar end weights, how the weights are attached, how wide the bars are, what issue if any as far as fitment and the controls are as typically these big bikes have longer levers and huge reservoirs to deal with. If it's not stock all of that too.
  4. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    pm sent with q's

also, how mucho $ for led signals front and rear?
  5. JoeWannaB

JoeWannaB Usually a nice guy

Oddometer:
    When I bought my '87 KLR650 three years ago, the first farkle I bought for it was a set of HWD hand guards with the fold out mirrors. I have to say that it was the best money I have spent on my bike to date. Those guards are indestructible and have saved my day many times over. I've had some pretty good crashes that would have mangled lesser guards and bent the bars into a pretzel but I only had to clean the dirt off and ride away. The product is definitely worth the money but the customer service is unsurpassed. When I ordered my set, Paul was just getting started and so the web site was still being fine tuned. I had no idea that the stock handlebars on a KLR were steel and that you need aluminum bars to work with hand guards because the ends need to be tapped. I was really perplexed when I couldn't get the tap to work on my bar ends. I called Paul right away and he knew immediately that I needed aluminum bars. He basically shipped me what looked to me to be a brand new 7/8 aluminum bars with the ends already tapped and he wouldn't take a dime to cover the shipping or the bars. I installed the bars and was really happy. Fast forward about 18 months and I called him up looking for a different top clamp so I could incorporate a set of Roxy anti-vibe risers into my set up. He had the top clamp I needed listed on the web site but I couldn't order it (Website snafu) so I called him again. He told me that that particular top clamp was part of a special order he had done for someone and no longer made it. He then said, "I think I have one laying around." He put it in a box and shipped it to me free of charge again. He wouldn't take a dime from me. Now I hope he has wised up a little so he can stay in business but I will tell anyone who'll listen that this is a super product and a super vendor worthy of your hard earned money. If you ride your bike everywhere and you need it to get you home after riding the trails, don't skimp on your handlebar protection. Get a set of these and forget about it. Paul did say I was the first KLR rider to have these and that is a real point of pride for me. If I ever sell my KLR, the handguards come off and stay with me. They're that awesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. mxbundy

mxbundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see from the post above, that you havent done anything with a 1200GS yet, so I guess the answer would be the same for the 1150GS? :ear

Bundy
  7. TerraUnFirma

TerraUnFirma Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer:
    Just finished installing handguards, top plate and mirrors on my Tiger...all went smoothly...:clap

The only surprise was that the handlebars on the Tiger have threaded inserts that are used to mount the stock handguards and they use a slightly smaller bolt. Rather than futz around with trying to remove the inserts, I just used the original bolts which were also of a countersunk design.

My order arrived sooner than expected and I'm very happy with the results...a first class operation! I'll spread the word!

Cheers!
  8. luxlogs

luxlogs Bespoke BMW Bits

Oddometer:
    I hope this info will inspire you to make your fine product for Airheads.

81mm x 33mm mount plate

Heres Hopeing

Niel
  9. luxlogs

luxlogs Bespoke BMW Bits

Oddometer:
    Sent pics of my R100GS handlebars, mount is 81mm X 33mm

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Niel
  10. StolenFant

StolenFant Life is good on this side of the grass Supporter

Oddometer:
    Joe, you holding out on us? I don't remember seeing this beauty at Whadahala last fall? So the DR must be your "sacraficial lamb" eh?

Clint
  11. PSLbud

PSLbud n00b

Oddometer:
    I really want to order these for my 08 XR650L that I just purchased but I have read so much about tall guys (I'm 6'2") wanting higher bars on this bike that I'm afraid to order in case I end up switching from stock to after market bars... Will these transfer to any 7/8 bar? Maybe risers are the way to go... I am a complete noob to dual sporting and can't really afford to make mistakes with mods, if any one has any insight on this topic I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks,
    Phil
  12. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    delete post.
  13. PSLbud

PSLbud n00b

Oddometer:
    Screw it! Riding season is getting closer and I'm not gonna wait for a reply, just placed my order with HDB and now the eager anticipation starts for arrival of the first purchase for the XR. :D Farkle #1
  14. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got mine last month, and they look / work great! I had to a little fiddling hear and there with the speedometer mount/keyswitch mount, (it took longer for me to do that than the rest of the project....next up is some heated grips, and a powerlet.
    Great product, and vendor to do business with

DRZ400S.

Too cheap to get a smugmug account, but if you want pics, I can email them.
  15. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    Got a new (to me) bike, and may want a HDB top clamp (I've bought a few things from Paul, but figured I'd try this thread first).

On their website, I see templates for 2 versions... the SX and ADVdx.
    But, I'm wondering what the two other versions look like... SXdx and "ADV".
    I don't really need a custom clamp, so I'm just wondering about the pre-cut versions.

From HDB's site:
    Upgrade Your Top Clamp
    SX Top Clamp
    SXdx Top Clamp - Add $4.95
    ADV Top Clamp, Fat Bars Only - Add $14.95
    ADVdx Top Clamp, Fat Bars Only - Add $24.95
  16. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got (I think) the SXDx top clamp, for fat bars.

It has a powerlet hole, and a hole for a toggle switch.

PM me your email address and I can send you pics if you want...

17. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    PM sent... thanks!
  18. rickcj7

rickcj7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SX for 7/8 or 1 1/8 no holes just basic top clamp. You could drill your own holes but for the $$ let HDB do it.
  19. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    Has anyone put these on an HP2? Any pics? These look like great hand guards!
  20. Casejeep

Casejeep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are there any orange shields? I see some in your pictures but no option for them on the site.