New BMW G650X (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mr moto, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Geoffster

Geoffster Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

And what about the extraterrestrial spacecraft in the tree disuised as "snowflakes"? And the floating monolith above the left mirror!

BMWS ARE MADE BY ALIENS!
  2. jtw000

jtw000 Survivor

Oddometer:
    Yeah but alien ships are now made in China too. That's why one crashed in Roswell.
  3. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same thing happened to me several times. Turn key on, everything comes on, then everything goes off, dash and lights, wont start. Took it in the the Dealer and it was the ign switch. Replaced it under warrenty and no problem since.
  4. Geoffster

Oddometer:
    Dang. Mine has started doing that and it's out of warranty.

Did it ever make you walk? Mine works after I turn the switch back and forth several times, and I'm wondering if I can go a while before having it addressed -- like at my 6k service in a month or so.
  5. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    A few guys have said that they took the switch off and checked the soldering in the bottom and there were hairline cracks in the solder on one or more wires. They carefully soldered them and no more troubles.

The hardest part is getting the ignition switch off in the first place.
  6. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Very interesting. I lost you in your last 2 sentences... if the only factory is in Berlin then don't they integrate all the subassemblies there (regardless of who and where they are shipped in from) and not simply fire up bikes that were assembled somewhere else? Or is there some secret or wink, wink I'm ignorant of?

Or are you simply saying - sure they may be assembled in Berlin but not many components are German made anymore...

Ok here is a weird piece of information. My dealer has ordered the ONLY swingarm available in stock and it is coming from Germany. Now the available swingarms in stock shows ZERO with a new availability date of about a month out. This implies some place somewhere, "they" are firing up the parts line and cranking out another swingarm or 2...

This is really weird to me because I've only heard of 2 other swingarms every breaking, and that says they really didn't have many spare ones sitting on a shelf - or they simply used them all up in new bikes. Just seems like a small number of parts but maybe they are that careful in minimizing inventory, if so that is impressive!
  7. jtw000

jtw000 Survivor

Oddometer:
    To my knowledge nothing else uses that swing-arm.
  8. snooker

Oddometer:
    All I know is the XCountry and XChallenge have the same swingarm part number in the fiche I can see online: 33177696651
  9. snooker

Oddometer:
    Off topic post perhaps but wanted to share it with the only guys I know on Adv - the G650X crowd! I know nothing about this yet but it looks cool, especially for GPS tracks and ride reports. As far as I can tell quickly, these are *resources* for Dual Sport riders, NOT a retailer selling accessories (though they do have sponsors).

A brand new website called: DualSportMoto.com
    and especially their GPS tracks page which requires you to login at this other GPS tracks site: DualSportMaps.com

Heard about it here on AMA District 37 Dual Sport forum.
  10. Geoffster

Oddometer:
    I think Kymco used them on a scooter that was built by Aprilia in Berlin but only sold in Ukraine. HD lost the bid.

(Perhaps I'm overanalyzing. Eating mistletoe may be the cause.)
  11. jtw000

jtw000 Survivor

Oddometer:
    That's so crazy it must be true.
  12. plumber mike

plumber mike Highdive Deepened

Oddometer:
    Let's spread the word then.
  13. toofast4uu

toofast4uu adventurer

Oddometer:
    I finally found a moment to check if a Factory Effex cover would fit on the X-Challenge seat...No go..not even close..:1drink
  14. ropedrag

ropedrag Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last June I loaded up the X here in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Seattle</st1:City> and made the journey to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Colorado Springs</st1:City></st1:place> to race in the 2010 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb. I made no adjustments to the motor other then drilling a few holes in the plastic air box cover and running Sonoco race gas. The bike performed well at altitude (the race finish line is at 14,000 above sea level), in fact it actually felt a bit stronger then normal here at sea level. The interesting thing is that I loaded the bike for the trip home at elevation 9,000 + and when I got home the bike ran like a beast unleashed (I could pull the front off the ground in 3<SUP>rd</SUP> gear!) although the performance gain did not continue for very long when the computer and sensors figured out it was at sea level. As I ride this bike daily I’m very in tune with it so this is not an aberration. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    My point is, this motor has so much more potential than we are “allowed” to have in it’s stock configuration that it’s a damn shame. A power commander would help us all if it were to allow us anything close to what I personally experienced this motor capable of. It’s a pity that the numbers of X’s sold don’t support the aftermarket industry enough to make the investments that would benefit the bikes performance.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    With that said, If anyone would consider shipping their bike to Dynojet I for one will help sponor the costs (others perhaps?), if we join in together we can all help bring this thing to market and reap the benefit of this motors capabilities! As my x is my daily "driver" I can't part with it or else I'd be shipping the thing to Vegas. It sure would be nice if someone in that area would jump in!
  15. Crud

Crud Rider of Many Things

Oddometer:
    I have an XCHallenge with about 750 miles on it plus some farkly stuff too. Do you think I will have trouble selling it if I decide to. Is there much of a demand for this bike anymore.
  16. jtw000

jtw000 Survivor

Oddometer:
    no
  17. gsstampeder

gsstampeder Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should take the farkly stuff off first.....and sell it to me.

Whatcha got? :deal
  18. AZ-Twin

AZ-Twin Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer:
    Check out the flea market and see what folks are asking. This is a bad time of year to try to sell a bike. You will most likely have better luck in the spring.

Good luck with the sale.
  19. Crud

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies. I (obviously) just dont ride the thing. Im not freaking out to get rid of it so maybe I will just put it up in the flea market and see if theres any takers out there.
  20. Crud

Oddometer:
    probably the nicest thing on there is the Remus titanium pipe.