the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Look down and see if the front of the chain is jumping around.

If the vibes smooth out under heavy acceleration, then it's probably the chain.
  2. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run over 90MPH (indicated) for miles at a time out west. With 16/46 sprockets, 90/90-21 front Shinko 244, and a 130/80-17 rear Kenda K761, the DR feels fine.
  3. Thumper Dan

Thumper Dan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I remember on this very forum (the only one I really read:D ) and someone was having similar issues with vibration and thought it was the chain etc etc. It turned out to be dodgy cush drive rubbers. He replaced them and everything was fine again.

Its going to be a process of elimination unfortunately. Do the simple things like the chain sprocket replacement.......check. Engine mounts are torqued to correct spec.........check. Cush drive rubber replacement........check (you get the idea). If it isn't the parts that I just mentioned, at least you'll have spares and peace of mind that you've eliminated them. Not sure about the counter balance and how to remedy but maybe Jeff from procycle can chime in :)..

But please make sure you let us all know what happens so this library of info keeps building.

good luck :freaky
  4. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    IMHO if you notice an improvement in shifting and/or clutch operation after an oil change then you are not changing your oil often enough as its breaking down and your engine is suffering as a result. Forget the Mobil 1 and just use the Delo 400. Not 400 LE, just 400. I also add a splash of Lucas stabilizer, about 5%, and change at up to 4,000 km intervals with no noticable change in behaviour.
  5. deathu

deathu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but I did replace the cush drive rubbers, along with the chain and sprockets... now I have under 1000miles on the new components. I wish it was that, because it would have been one of the most simple things to fix.

I really hope it's not the counterbalancer being a few teeth off, fixing that would require splitting the crankcase. I don't know if I could even verify this without splitting the case... hope the punch marks are visible when the side covers and top end are off the engine... maybe somebody can confirm this. This will definitely be the last thing to check, if all else fails.
  6. dryder

dryder n00b

Oddometer:
    Are the side plastics in good shape? Black right?
  7. wee-twin

wee-twin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, stock piston. But I do not think a high compression piston is the cause of your vibration. I am far from an expert on this, but you might have the same problem as me.
  8. wee-twin

Oddometer:
    I am running smooth untill I go up a hill or accelerate,then i get the vibes. It is easier to notice going up a hill as i do not have to downshift, but as soon as more load is put on the drivetrain i get the vibes.I am running without the countershaft sprocket cover so I could see if anything does not look right. CC sprocket is a bit worn but rear socket looks fine and with 14t front my chain adjuster is at 4. Chain was filthy and a bit stiff when I got bike, but I have been taking care of it now.
  9. wee-twin

Oddometer:
    For checking my cushdrive, I did a visual of them and they were not beat up or a sloppy fit. Then with the wheel off the ground and the bike in gear I grabbed the wheel forward and backward to check for slop. Is that an accurate check? I guess as you pointed out, buy a chain set and install each piece till problem solved same with cushdrive. I will have to make order and I will report back. Now I have to decide on which chain and sprocket ration.......
  10. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Did you compare the feel of things while in neutral and sitting still. By revving the engines on both bikes? What about pulling in the clutch while at speed to see if it is a chassis/driveline or engine thing?
  11. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    This looks like a difficult problem. As mentioned before, sometimes loosening up all the engine mount bolts ... then re-tightening them in the correct order and in steps ... this may help some.

But unfortunately ... it sort of sounds like something in the engine.

Most DR650's, if the drive line is in good shape, run pretty smooth (for a Thumper) at 70 mph to 80 mph. i've had three ... and all were quite smooth at speed.

Can we assume your bike still has standard Suzuki handlebar rubber mounts in place? And, are the rubber mounted foot pegs still in place?
    If not ... (and your buddies bike DOES have those things) then that could be the reason for the difference in the two bikes.
    I still hold out hope for a cheap and simple solution for you!
    All the best! :beer
  12. Jammin

Jammin Integrating back into society

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    I need the help of two DRs for swapping CDIs to confirm something for me. I'm looking for riders in the same location with a 2006 DR and a 1996-1999 one. I'd like to see if plugging in the CDI from the 2006 will work in the 1996-1999 models. :ear

I've had some mechanics in Nairobi take a look at my CDI and just by looking at it they say the CDI is faulty because the blue capacitor has melted part way thru the silicone cover on the bottom of the CDI and there's these small rocks that are stuck to the silicone cover that they say are melted parts of the circuit board. My 98 CDI and the 2001 CDI that I got from South Africa both look like this.

Could someone with a functioning bike please unbolt their CDI and take a look at the bottom and confirm that you can't see a blue capacitor or white stones coming thru?

I have a spare CDI from a 2006 DR sitting in India and it's going to take a few weeks to get to me. I'd like to know if I can rely on that CDI to work in my DR or whether I have to look for another unit. :hmmmmm

Thanks! :beer
  13. deathu

deathu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I tried that, and the result of all tests seems to indicate the engine itself as the source of the worst vibrations. I mentioned these tests a few posts ago...

Can you please tell me the correct order in which the engine mounts are to be tightened? I can't locate this information in the service manual, only the correct torque values are mentioned.

Yes, the bike still has the rubber parts for the handlebar support and footpegs. Actually at sppeeds over 120km/h the vibrations are so bad that you feel them very harsh even through the seat, not only handlebars and footpegs.

On the buddy's bike I felt I could easily cruise all day long at 130 to 140km/h (from a vibration point of view), the only issue would be the lack of wind protection at these speeds.
  14. Escaped

Escaped Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is the same process as tightening any multi fastener item. Loosen all bolts, tighten one slightly then tighten the one across from the first one, then slightly tighten the next loose one slightly and the one across from that. Then start over the process by tightening with greater force untill all are tighten up to specification.

PS: Don't break off the bolts! :)

15. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
    Weird! But apparently normal.
    This is the CDI on my 1999:
    [​IMG]
  16. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that a silicone cover or potting compound? Definitely looks like the latter, which would just be poured in and allowed to cure. It is odd that they wouldn't use enough to cover everything though.
  17. Mongle

Mongle Cyberdos groupie

Oddometer:
    I don't know if I would call that normal...:lol3 I refuse to pull mine off and look at it now...I do not want to know if mine looks like that...because if it did it would bother me....
  18. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
    Evidently there is some crystalline filler used with the rubbery (silicone?) potting material. Looks to me like some of the filler was not very level when they poured the potting material in.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    please explain that more in detail, step by step with the proper torque specs, if you have all that info. that would also be good for krusty's DR index.

20. ChromeSux

ChromeSux Un-plated and Unscrewed

Oddometer: