Day trips around Coastal SC

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by East Coast Rider, Nov 18, 2010.

1. East Coast Rider

East Coast Rider Just Me...

Oddometer:
    I've been pretty lazy about loading pics here, but not so much onto my facebook acct. Some of these will be familiar to those of you with whom I am friends on FB.

A bit of fall colors :D 'Bout as much as you're likely to get around here....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sunset @ Bonneau Beach, on Lake Marion

[​IMG]

Finally, another cooperative dragonfly... :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FYI, my Canon 20D seems to have crapped itself. These were all taken with the little Kodak P&S...
  2. Cuttle

Cuttle fuck the calm down

Oddometer:
    very, very nice - as always! :clap
  3. East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    :D Thank you, Silke.
  4. Rabbot

Rabbot Life goals-Die with memories not dreams.

Oddometer:
    well done
  5. East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    Still gonna be gone this weekend, Rob?
  6. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    Love the new set!
    Sorry about your camera, but the cool thing is that PAS cameras aren't POS cameras.

Looks UNFORTUNATELY unlikely that we will get to the Low Country this year. :cry
  7. East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    :waysad. That sucks Dude. Hope all is well! Looking at a new Rebel EOS set up, and will keep the 20D as a back up once I get it serviced.
  8. Marsh Tiger

Marsh Tiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You should take a look at This place while you are looking for a camera. You might be able to upgrade the Rebel before you even buy it...
  9. East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    WOW. Thanks, MT!! Looks like they have some really good prices!! Will definitely give them a try.
  10. Marsh Tiger

Marsh Tiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I've bought a lot of my equipment from them. There grading system is very fair. Good luck where ever you decide to purchase.

Oh, and keep the images coming. I love the reflections!
  11. East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    From my last trip to Cypress Gardens before the Canon took a poop...

[​IMG]
  12. Cuttle

Cuttle fuck the calm down

Oddometer:

very, very nice
  13. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

yaaa
  14. East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    Went along with Fancy and her sis Hannah, and Adam (Hannah's boyfriend) to Charlottesville, VA for a concert this past weekend...decided to tinker with manual settings & highway speeds & the fall foliage :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took this one just after I fixed the warp drive button on the Mighty KLR :lol3

[​IMG]
  15. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Now that is kewl, never though of doing that on purpose, It was always accidental :lol3:lol3:lol3
  16. East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
  17. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Thought my old eyes finally went bad on me. Interesting!
  18. East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    Well, the weather was great yesterday...hadn't been riding for the sake of riding in awhile. While I have done a decent bit of riding, it has been to visit folks...riding with a purpose. Point A, meet Point B. It was a means to an end. I REALLY just needed to get out, get away...get lost. Been suffering from restlessness of the mind.

Topped off the KLR and hit the road:

First stop: Cypress Gardens. Thought this old tour boat in B&W has a nice feel to it...

[​IMG]

Another boat along the dock. Wish the background wasn't so busy with other boats and stuff...

[​IMG]

I decided to ride the 10 mile unpaved portion of the Old King's highway again...to see how it had been taken care of. This was the one spot where the road was hard packed enough to put the kickstand down. They had recently dumped a bunch of sand and crushed oyster shell on most of the road...it was like riding on the beach :lol3 I know I have mentioned it before, but this the small portion of what used to be the main north/south route thru the colonies in Revolutionary Period. There is more of it to be seen, but is closed to vehicles, and I think it is also closed to foot traffic. The gate was only secured with caution tape, but I figured I best behave, as opposed to risking having bike impounded by DNR if I get caught...

[​IMG]

After this, I found an atv trail into the woods right off the highway. Managed to traverse a couple of (admittedly small) downed trees without dumping the bike...down into a low area that turns out was a bulldozer track...loose wet mud/sand/water saturated grass...very slippery. Quite a weird feeling. The shinkos did not like it much, but I made in a couple hundred yards before I decided that I really didn't want to get stuck out here by myself...so I turned around and headed back, and as I approached the narrow (& deep as I was tall) ditch to get back to the road, I didn't realized I had bumped it into 2nd...SO, as I tried to throttle up the far bank. it stalled. Oh, crap. Over the bike goes, top down into the ditch. Hmmph. Tires are almost above my head as I stand in the ditch. No room to drag the bike into the ditch. Too narrow, and the bank behind me is too steep.

Now, I'm not a big guy at all (5'10", 155lbs). With a full tank of fuel, the KLR is about 410lbs. Recall that I gassed up at beginning of the ride. I had burned maybe a gallon. Guess I was gonna see if my $30.00 a month gym membership was doing me any good. Managed to drag the bike down a bit, so the the tires were about the level of my waist. Time for the Hulk to make an appearance...or so I hoped :lol3 Surprisingly enough, it goes something like this:

After Herculean effort no. 1, the bike is at about 45*, maybe a bit more upright. Me: What the F do I do now??! I planted my feet again, and did (Herculean effort No. 2) the best shoulder press of my life, lol. I guess desperation CAN make you strong temporarily :lol3

Got the bike backed down into the ditch, so I could crank it up and ride out. WHEW. Adventure had, disaster averted. :lol3 :lol3

My reward:

[​IMG]

I'll definitely scout that atv track again, after the weather kills off the skeeters...they were horrendous.
  19. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    Good job with the photos as usual, and good job getting the bike out of it's pickle. :thumb
  20. East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    Like I said...Adventure had...disaster averted :D

How ya doing, Jack??