Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. rgiroux

rgiroux Invisible Man

Oddometer:
    That road was one of the highlights of our two weeks down in Mexico. See signature line for RR on that trip, and view the pics. One hell of a fun road!

Of course, out of respect for Baldy and the fool who warned him, you could have issues, breakdown, or die.

But, we didnt.
  2. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Nothing you can't fix with a balaclava.
  3. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice stuff in there :deal :freaky
  4. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    A very tasty treat made with honey and walnuts
  5. miguelito

miguelito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The route is nice, beautiful, and full of mi hermanos, los Zapatistas. Watch out for mud topes the locals build next to their fruit and clothing stalls. I was riding toward one, when the girl sitting by the side of the road lifted up a rope she had stretched across the road and tied to a tree on the other side. I was pretty close, and my heart definitely skipped a beat before she lowered it. I left San Cristobal around 9 AM, stopped for an hour or so at the cascada along the way, (it's a short ride off the road), and got to Palenque in the early/mid afternoon. YMMV. ;) I don't remember the name of the place I stay in Zihuat, but I'll tell you how to get there. When you get to Zihuat, take the road to Playa la Ropa, and take the first right after crossing the bridge. I think you have to turn left, then go up the steep hill, (only 1 block long), and there's a hotel right at the top. They do not have secure parking, but I've never had a problem. They are on the beach, and a room costs around 500 pesos. There are other nicer hotels just about everywhere with AC available but they are more like 700-800 p. I've also stayed further along the road to Playa la Ropa and those are nice, but a bit mor expensive. I think somebody said to check tripadvisor as well. Check out the camarones al coco at the Pulpo Feliz where the road to la Ropa runs into the main road into Zihuat. I dream about those camarones. Buen viaje.
  6. rgiroux

rgiroux Invisible Man

Oddometer:
    It was an incredible trip and highly recommended to all who are curious, and most who arent. Having never been there before, it was nothing like what I expected, and definitely nothing like our "media" tells us.

You only have to watch out for MikeMike and his gang of ruffians as they tried to kidnap me, or at least separate me from my group. Leaving me in this hell-hole:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dont trust this man if you happen to come across him

[​IMG]

:lol3
  7. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Enjoy :freaky :rofl

"view full screen"

<EMBED height=360 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/YnQfOWk3shE?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0 allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>
  8. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    We rode from San Cris to Palenque a few weeks ago. Fun road with some great scenery. A few rocks in the road and you really need to watch for the buses. Saw one that had rounded a corner in the wrong lane and hit a car head on. Not pretty.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  9. Jick Magger

Jick Magger Exile on Main Street

Oddometer:
    Okanagan Valley BC, Canada/Scottsdale, Arizona
    Enjoyable video Tricepilot. 1 minute and 30 seconds of filming before we had a taker. Thought we were heading for a shut out...:rofl
  10. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    In Piedras Negras tonight, sipping the biggest bottle of Indio that I have ever seen.

Been looking at property on the US side for an informal place for riders to park their trucks and RV's when they come this way and want to explore.

Could happen. There are obstacles but there is also property available on the US side at Mexican prices.

Anyway, I don't know this area all that well although I have to say that the little entryway to Mexico when you cross Bridge #1 is about the cleanest and neatest of any Mexican town that I have seen. The motel that I am in is great at a bargain price and the bar that I was in earlier was also excellent. Kinda ruining some of the stereotypical images of border towns ;)

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  11. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    "Besos Gratis"

Let's try that one :rofl :freaky
  12. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    If Salma or Mayte carried that sign, there'd be a line to Dolores Hidalgo :deal :lol3
  13. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    We had to leave you there, nobody showed up to pay the ransom!!!!:freaky

The modus operandi has now been changed and appearances altered.:eek1

That's a nice place, the hotel in Puente Nacional, the entire complex is bike friendly, the owner's son manages it and has built a nice little motocross track next door with proper pit facilities and buildings, very inexpensive and good food and liquids. Family run operations in Mexico usually give you much more value for your peso. The owner's family speak English and are very accommodating people who take their guests seriously and treat them well.
    Can't beat that!
  14. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rockymountainoyster........ I second that Zihua hotel suggestion
    made by Schizzman &#55357;&#56836;
    Posada Casandoho will be good. It does not have suites but you can rent
    several rooms and it will be SWEET &#55357;&#56842; and cost less in total than the fancier
    digs along the waterfront.friendly owners will gladly help you .

Highway Mex 199 is highly recommended . Some fantastic scenery
    and lots of curves and there are plenty of folks along the way
    Fuel up before going in an start early and you will have a great ride.
    Go from cool upland pine forest mountains to lush green tropical
  15. rgiroux

rgiroux Invisible Man

Oddometer:

A VERY nice place it was. If you are going to be held against your will, that would be the place! And, you get to it by taking some great roads.

It is places like that, run by the owner's we met, that make you want to get everyone you meet to stay there to support them. :thumb
  16. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    The (ex) inmate who posted here in the IMS thread a few pages back (and elsewhere on ADV, according to what I found in Head Explody) advertising consulting-for-fee advice on travel south of the border has been smacked with the ban hammer.

Reason: Couldn't contain himself in Vendors
  17. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if the ban hammer hit him permanently or not. Working another issue I found his other out-of-vendors threads after they were clipped to Head Explody.

I know nothing of him personally, although I believe he lives in Austin.

My only interaction was with the mods directly, to get his vendor thread out of IMS.

Edit: I think he's banned permanently. I don't think inmates are labeled "banned" unless the vacation is permanent. I could be wrong.
  18. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Watch out for this gang:

[​IMG]

They held a piece of string across the road and wouldn't let me pass until I bought oranges from them.

This is the heart of Zapatista country, and there were a couple of military checks. This road had a reputation for robberies, but I think between the Zapatistas and the military, they have been chased off. I highly recommend Agua Azul, between Palenque and Ocosingo if you have time for a swim.
  19. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    $40 bucks an hour for advice about Mexico?
    I'm in the wrong line of work!:eek1

Hell, we are ALL in the wrong line of work!

$40 bucks an hour? That's like a $1,000 bucks to a KLR rider! Or 5% of the cost of a Touratech farkle for a GS1200 owner! 3% of the average bill for a KTM owner. Or a week in El Salvador for J. Downs and the SuperSuperSherpaSherpa!
    Or 2 shots of single malt and a cigar at The Seal Club! Or steak breakfast for 8 at the lena in Cerro Gordo!:freaky

Reminds me of the old line from a Colorado ski instructor, "Bend your knees, that will be $100, please".
  20. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now here is something to think about.
    If the guy sells his insight into Mex riding and things go south (no pun intended but it worked out), can the person then take legal action against the guy who provided the info that was purchased? Seems like the idea that there is some financial transaction happening might open some pitfalls.
    I mean, the same thing cost this thread a sticky!
    That was something I still can't figure out. I mean, if you get lost in the Sahara and join a Tuareg tribe and paint your skin blue, are you going to take legal action against Chris Scot? I doubt it!

What are we all going to do, begin a class action suit against Ted Simon?

We have to keep this quiet or the Mystery Rider is going to close The Seal Club! Then nobody else will get a chance to see the beautiful little mug that came from Catemaco.:eek1