Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Oznerol

Oznerol Motion Enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recently got the Wahoo HRM strap and their ANT adapter for the iPhone. So far I'm happy with it -- I've been using Runkeeper to log runs and rides, and just wanted to add heart rate data. The Wahoo does that just fine.

Can't comment on the full-boat speed / cadence / case stuff or their own software. My phone doesn't have the battery life or GPS reliability for me to want to move away from the eTrex + CatEye combo I use for that stuff now.
  2. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    Now HR data I can use...

Oznerol, thanks for the review!
  3. rbrsddn

rbrsddn 3banger

Oddometer:
    I just got the Garmin 500 Bundle with the GSC-10 Cadence and Speed sensor. I have, but haven't used, the HR monitor. I read on the Garmin forums that the GSC-10 unit fails often, and that the unit of choice to replace it is the Wahoo. So if my Garmin unit bites it, I'll try the Wahoo.
  4. Lewy

Lewy Minus the LC8

Oddometer:
    My first one on my 305 from 2006 used to be a bit hit amd miss but since buying the 500 bundle a few months back it hasn't missed a beat.

Even with my bike looking like this.

[​IMG]
  5. CatfishRacing

CatfishRacing Just a rider.

Oddometer:
    I got a used 305 with a bike I bought and I had a 705 that I bought new.
    Neither have ever skipped a beat unless you consider having to rescan for HR or cadence skipping a beat.
    They both work great.
    I'd Love the data of a power meter because I'm a geek.
    It would be useless at my current level of fitness unless showing myself how pathetic I am would be useful that is.
  6. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    You surf slowtwitch and dcrainmaker?

It went from too stinkin hot to too stinkin wet to ride in the space of 12hrs. :bluduh

M
  7. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    Psssht. It ain't too wet.
  8. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    On Sunday I went back to Santos with my friend Dave, a much more skilled rider than I. Fresh from my victory over the Sink Hole trail, I thought I'd test my skills on the John Brown trail. Big mistake! Sink Hole was difficult, but John Brown is a killer. The steep climbs and descents aren't just much harder, but downright dangerous. Not wanting to add yet another broken bone to my already impressive collection, I decided to walk the most treacherous portions. Even that was made difficult due to the fact that I'd twisted my ankle early on in some rocks. :kurt My StumpJumper 26er wasn't cooperating either. Despite all my efforts to weight the front end, it would wheelie uncontrollably on almost every steep climb. I can't recall ever being as glad to arrive at the end of a trail. IF I ever try this trail again -- and I'm not saying I will -- it will be on my Trek 29er. :nod
  9. Ridge

Ridge Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    Is John Brown the one with the park bench at the top? If so, I hate those off-camber sections on the cliff side... always picking my line carefully so I don't go too far to the right. Almost did a downhill free ride after my riding buddy decided to change his line mid trail and paused for a few seconds. :huh
  10. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't recall seeing a park bench on John Brown itself, but there is a bench off to the side of the 'Blue Hiway' entrance, where a number of trails meet. Here's a video someone else shot of John Brown. I watched a bunch of these to get an idea of what the trail was like before risking it, but as in every other case, the trail is MUCH worse in reality than the videos convey:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rN67T-ut0PQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ooops, there is a bench visible in the last few frames. I was probably too busy fighting off mosquitoes to notice it.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anybody know of a reasonably priced source for bearings?

My Stumpy has TPX and JNK branded bearings in the seatstay and rocker. All 6 TPX bearings feel like there's grit in them and at least one is creaking. They're a 10X19X5 (6800RS) sizing. I found a bunch on eBay, for cheap, but fear they're Chinese or some other country of origin. IDK. But, I don't want to change all of these and have to be doing it again next year. The local bearing places want ~$60 each for American made bearings. The ones on eBay are ~$3-$4 each. Thoughts?
  12. Ridge

Oddometer:
    Yep that's the one. Around 3:40-3:50 is the cliff where I nearly take a flyer each time. Something visually off when I ride through there that never computes right.
  13. Ridge

Oddometer:
    My race team is sponsored by these guys. I don't have any personal experience with them, but the other guys on the team have been pleased with their products.

http://www.vcrcbike.com/
  14. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's one of the sections that I walked the bike through. Lots of crashes happen there.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zpjAl5Qzp0k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  15. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    They don't have anything listed for my sizing.

I've called around, searched the internet, and ended up ordering Enduro Max bearings at ~$5.50 each, shipped. I should have them by the weekend. :clap
  16. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    I am headed to Colorado Wednesday morning. I am taking a road bike and a mountain bike. Should be fun! I am going to try to tackle Independence Pass. I have ridden all of maybe 100 miles in the mountains in my lifetime. Good times.
  17. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    A bit of advice .... eat as much as you can the day before and at the evening of the climb.

I went up and climbed from 7 to 10.5k in 11 miles on friday ... took me two hours ... and still did not recover yet.
  18. Dranrab Luap

Oddometer:
    Where did you do that?
  19. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    Here in town.

We have that Sandia Mountain with a paved road that goes all the way to the top.

I mean ... I am looking at it from my window.

Next time you are around here mail your bike stuff and rent a bike ... we will go up there.
  20. Dranrab Luap

Oddometer:
    I am going to be there with my bikes at the end of July.:evil Did you ride on hwy 333 to hwy 14 to hwy 536?