V649HP-Kawasaki's new gravel runner

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by jdrocks, Dec 13, 2010.

1. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have thought about that to. I have also wondered if it would be possible to fabricate a small aux gas tank at that space
    to hold a few extra liters of gas. I haven`t looked in to it yet, just thinking about it. What do you think?
  2. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i'm already carrying an extra 2L, and i can only think of 4-5 roads in all of NA where the range with the fuel on the bike wouldn't be enough. if i planned another trip on those roads, i have a 12L fuel bladder, so i just need a new tail/fender assembly, no fuel. hard to believe there are still roads over here where you might need 600km range.

i already have a design and parts, i just need the time to get going on it.
  3. rw4x4van

rw4x4van East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    JD do you have any large photos posted anywhere that we can view ......
  4. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    large photos of...what? fuel containers?

if ya need something specific, i can try to get a photo.
  5. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    when i said the OEM fender assembly isn't up to the pounding it gets on rough gravel roads, here's why.

the left and right seat covers are connected to the tail light with plastic dowel tabs that slide into rubber grommets on each side of the tail light. these eventually shear off because the assembly flexes too much.

[​IMG]

the dowels are supposed to slide into these grommets.

[​IMG]

when the dowels break, pairs of plastic tabs on the bottom of the seat covers have to carry more load, and eventually these break too.

broken tab on the seat cover

[​IMG]

all the plastic pieces around the tail light have to be securely anchored so that the plastic trim piece over the top of the tail light aligns with it's own tabs, impossible with all the other broken tabs and dowels.

[​IMG]

so the dowels break, the tabs break, the trim won't fit, and the whole freakin' mess starts lookin' like it's going to crack in half after just one more rough road.

time for something new.
  6. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    Something tells me you have a plan...

David
  7. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for highlighting the issues with the fender assembly. I will look into this as well.

:beer
  8. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    hey montana man, i always have a plan.

put the bike away, get out the sleds.

the area i rode just one week ago is supposed to get 2 feet of snow out of this big east coast storm. some of the more remote gravel roads might not be in shape to ride until late next spring.
  9. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i wouldn't worry about it too much unless you plan on plenty of miles of rough road, like thousands.

fix it if you're planning a trip to Russia or Morocco, otherwise it's down the list somewhere...unless you want to preserve the seat covers before they break.
  10. rw4x4van

Oddometer:
    actually the whole bike...I just got a new 24" monitor and it's begin' for large pictures :lol3
  11. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    the next photo of the completed bike will be after the new tail assembly and a new paint job.

a few other changes too.
  12. rw4x4van

Oddometer:
    sounds like a plan :lurk
  13. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, It will be interesting to see what you can come up with.

New paint job!

Are you going with the white again or are you going to change it to some other color?
  14. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    Yeppers, the days are kinda short too. Time to do some wrenching, and other winter maintenance. Sleds would be fun, but bikes are enough of a money and time killer for me.

David
  15. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    ya want to spend some money real quick, just be in the path of these east coast storms. just bought 200 gals of gas and diesel just to be on the safe side if the power stays out for an extended period.

i'm wrenching too...on a balky generator. ethanol fuel is the death of small engines. had fuel conditioner in there too.

conditions here could be worse, lots worse.
  16. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    Looks like you're going to get wet. Batten down the hatches mate.

David
  17. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    wet? 12" of rain in the last 48 hours, wind still gusting 50, no problem.

for you, that would mean 12' of snow in two days.

got my main generator fixed, that's all i care about. Lord help ya if you can't turn a wrench in these situations, not a prayer of finding a shop to fix it on short notice in this weather mess.
  18. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    You mean you don't start it periodically to make sure it will run when you need it? :wink:

Sorry, my real job is maintenance supervisor, which means I'm the nag that asks if the operators have completed their annual maintenance on the equipment, including monthly starts on the emergency generators.

stay safe friend,
    David
  19. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    unexpected problem with this particular unit. my company sold and installed Caterpillar generators in partnership with the engine division of our regional Cat dealership for years, so you could say i'm familiar with the issues.
  20. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    :rofl You mean if I just let it sit for 5 years it might be hard to start when I need it? Isn't the basement the perfect place for an emergancy generator (when its below sea level in a hurricane zone)? Why can't I run the exhaust through a 2" pipe to the roof?

We have 3600 and 3500 natural gas engines, I'm there with you.

David