Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    No?
    Time for a flashback.

Attached Files:

2. larrylarry75

larrylarry75 Aye Chihuahua

Oddometer:
    That's the Mexico I'd like to see. Damn that's beautiful, thanks for sharing.

LL75 :D
  3. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll take you right to the spot where I snapped that one, Larry.
    And if it's cloudy, we'll just go back the next day.
  4. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Er .. ah ,, Ace isn't it the other way around ? We'll just say this was a typo slip up

If you have one MILE ( or una milla ) then multiply by 1.61 to get the equivalent in kilometers .
    This is s o you can explain to a Mexican how far you rode in the u ess of ay .

If you have kilometers known and for some unfathomable reason feel the need to CONVERT it TO MILES
    THEN you multiply by 0.6 to give you the mile equivalent

I do not now and will never have a GPS babysitting unit on my bike. I do all my travel with paper maps and remembering routes and landmarks from previous trips and I carry a compass as backup . I am not afraid to chat with a local to ask some questions and directions. To tell me "where I am" I only need to look at the ground under me and that is ... "here':rofl I call this complex inexpensive system my SPS and it has always gotten me home. Even the maps are consulted sparingly and usually a s a bit of planning stimulus along the way
    If you need a lot of English printed background information in the atlas then the Editores Quimera road atlas of Mexico is (was ?) one to look for. I haven't seen a new edition the last few years so maybe they quit making them , I don't know. But their road atlas is just as detailed as Roji and it also had nice topographical shading in the latest one I did buy .
  5. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Old school rules!!:clap

Who cares where you are, unless you are planning to stay you are not going to be there very long.

Whatever happened to folded up maps to use inside the Levis jacket to block the wind, a ski sweater, a Bell Magnum, Ray Bans, jeans, rodeo roper gloves, Red Wing slip on boots, a Zippo, some baling wire, chewing gum, a few pesos and traveling on $10 bucks a day, etc...?

Oh, wait, that's your modern day KLR pilot. LOL!
  6. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K3w_x2r8fH0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  7. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    A Mexican kilometer is roughly equivalent to a mile here. Effort-wise, I mean.
  8. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    off course ! :rofl

MORE DURANGO ...
    [​IMG]
    The kid with beautiful background at a checkpoint notice the sniper hiding behind the rocks on the hill
  9. larrylarry75

Oddometer:
    I'd like that, thanks.
    LL75
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    nope. several have. there is just a back log of several more western states, ozark, W. NC and all the BDR maps http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/blog/ that must come out. not that i won't happen but way to many other projects in the works already.

i'm kinda thinking a Baja BDR map might be the first mex. endeavor, that way the project can go from Cabo to Canada (after OR & Cali are done too). before that a COBDR http://www.cobdr.com/ is happening this summer and Rob W. is pre-riding some of the AZBDR this winter.

as for mex, i think a regional west coast & mountain, say san blas east and south and as far south as 134 to zihua would offer up a ton of riding.
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    :evil

i haven't found any of the mexican maps to strive for great accuracy. the only one i do not own yet is E32 gps, but have heard very good things about it. Printed Roji and Nat Geo http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-AdventureMap-Adventure-Numbered/dp/1566955270 are ok . I have Bicimaps and have found many errors. I've emailed those guys on my results and for awhile they responded that would fix in the next addition, but now they just ignore me. I'm guessing i'm creating to much work for them and i guess good enough is ok. It is what it is. I hand draw alot of google earth tracks to add needed detail to my GPS.
  12. larrylarry75

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
  13. larrylarry75

Oddometer:
    Sounds like par for the course, I've noticed lots of errors in Garmins GPS directions but for the most part they're ok. Same can be said for a lot of road maps but never anything of critical mass, mostly small inconveniences. When I buy I'm pretty sure it will be the Roji atlas that tricepilot and others recommended but I think I'll wait a bit to see when their new publication is released. While I'm waiting I ordered some stuff from AAA since it's a freebee benefit from my membership. Free is a very good price.

Thanx

14. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The elephant in the room isn't the accuracy of the paper map product or how well your GPS works, with or without Bicimapas or any version of it.

The fun part is being able to figure out the Mexican highway signage system which on one hand is modern and state-of-the-art and on the other hand can be a rompecabeza (puzzle) of the highest magnitude.

And the real irony here is that being temporarily "misplaced" in Mexico is actually one of the very best charms of being down there. You never know what you'll discover.

The above can be proven by the fact that once a motorcyclist has been down there a time or two, they're never back here posting questions on where they can get a more accurate map or the latest GPS.
  15. larrylarry75

Oddometer:
    I was kidding about the km thing, started using them in 1959 in Japan. Most metric bikes I've owned had/have dual-overlays on their speedos so no real need to covert, otherwise I've always used the .6 rule.

I personally love being babysat by my GPS, her voice is my main turn on. Besides I like being yelled at by a woman. Re. English data I find convenient but not mandatory, just nice to have if available. I'm deadly afraid of chatting with locals, they might grab me and take me away somewhere, make me eat strange food, drink foreign beer, ride on non-paved roads. I might not be able to find my way home again. I think we're more or less on the same page.:deal

LL75 :evil
  16. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Have found Google Maps Street View very helpful as landmarking is critical in finding your way in Mexico. Unless, as Trice stated, finding your way is not critical. :evil You can locate and note km markers and what your exit sign actually says, etc.

Another map skill involves noting what towns/cities lie along your route so that you can catch their names on the desired exit sign. Arco Norte, for example, shows Atlixco as the exit for Cholula, Atlixco being the next town beyond Cholula. But an earlier sign reads Cholula. Go figure. But knowing that Atlixco lay beyond our destination of Cholula helped me find our exit. This is very typical.
  17. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes, I absolutely slipped up that one. I do know that a kilometer is .62 miles. Maybe I should just go back to bed.
  18. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    Great video Bato:

That is the original home land security:2guns
  19. larrylarry75

Oddometer:
    If I were to travel as I do in the states and a number of other countries I'd take exits that look interesting; the net result of which is I'm often riding in areas that I haven't a clue about. In general I have a sense of overall direction but that's about it. I suspect that may not be the best method in Mexico if I'm riding the Honda. If I were on the hack it matters less, most terrain that cars/trucks travel on work for it. This is why it's a great deal of fun plus I seldom fall over on it. The jury's still out on the beast of burden selection.

20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i've used both of those methods too.
    the sign to the next town is key.
    had to explain to my wife (she was watching the gps) that sometime you go w/ that and other times you go with what you see.