Suzuki GW250

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by JerryH, Nov 16, 2012.

1. vicster

vicster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those of you anxiously awaiting the arrival of the GW (GrossWeight?)250 may want to back it down a notch until you've actually seen one. This thing is by far the ugliest stock bike I have ever seen, and I am not a young man.It looks much worse in person, trust me. The pictures don't really capture the poor proportioning or the overwheming size of that front fender. When I saw it at the IMS I at first couldn't figure out what it was doing at the Suzuki stand as it really does look like a Kymco gone bad.
    It's also heavier. longer, with more conservative geometry than its competition and is, according to Suzuki, tuned for low to mid rpm performance, so it's on road performance isn't likely to be much either.
    Sorry, I don't normally comment on a bike's looks, as I know it's subjective and the least important bike quality to me personally, but...wow.
  2. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    :dog

No one is expecting it to be a class leader in performance.. and all the other
    stuff you listed.. as us computer guys say.. "It's a feature, not a bug.".

Some want a "conservative" bike.
    I for one love them for doing a "full-sized" bike in the 250cc category,
    like Honda used to have a Hornet 250 (same as 599 and 919).

There's plenty to choose from in the 250cc screamer category.
    I want diesel torqu down low.
  3. vicster

vicster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then if you buy one, you will likely be happy with it, Cortez.
    Do you feel the lack of body work is a feature also? Some prefer naked in their smaller, more basic bikes.

Have you seen one in person yet?

Here in the U.S, I think its success is going to be very price dependant. It has a lot of competition from the CBR250 and a ton of used and new small Ninjas. Suzuki's auto division here in America did file bankruptcy so it will be interesting to see how that affects their bike pricing.
  4. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    It's very unlikely I'll buy a bike like that since I'm now on a scooter with more
    power and miss the power I had in the last bike (just 72hp), but it would be
    (most likely) my first choice if the price is right. For example, Ninja 250,
    while probably the best value in the category, would be my last.

Yes.
    I'd actually be even happier with the way it looks if it had the old style
    round headlight like the YBR250 and CBF250.

Nope, but I'm looking forward to it. I can understand the front fender
    issue, though.
    :deal

Nothing to add but agree with what you said.

The "pattern" of how the motorcycle industry works in USA seems (to me)
    to be easier to follow then our local stuff (EU).

Here, for example, you won't find a single CBR250R on the road.

The reason? It costs the same as the Ninja 250R, and 90% of buyers
    in that category will buy bikes on power/specs alone. R bike looks helps
    too.

The 300R will never sell well here, I'm 98% sure of that since it costs
    virtually the same as the 650R.

I'm sure I'd love the 300R more then I did my 650R, but at those prices,
    I'd get a NC700S or NC700X and never look back.
  5. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only thing that matters to me about a bike like this is how it looks and feels from the saddle. If it is reasonably comfortable, and capable of freeway travel (my air cooled Rebel 250 was) , and if I can figure out a way to carry stuff on it, and because it has tubeless tires that can be repaired without a centerstand, I like it. Unlike most everybody here, I am looking for a bike to ride. Just ride. Not a sport bike, I can't handle the ergos on one of those. I would prefer it not be a cruiser, but that would be ok, if a 250 cruiser fit the bill. I am NOT looking for power or handling beyond what is necessary to cruise down the highway. Some say this bike is ugly, then turn around and praise the Honda NC700X, the ugliest motorcycle I've ever seen. IF this does not work out, my only other choice will be a 250cc or larger scooter. There are no other 250cc bikes that meet my needs. I have non issues with a scooter, I already have 3, but none of them are freeway legal. I was going to get a larger one when I saw this and became intrigued by it. So I at least intend to check it out, IF it ever shows up.
  6. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    The thing is, with freeway legal scooters, you end up well into the price range of the 250 MC offerings.
    Still, it is an option. I thing all of the little bike/big scooter offerings/competition are a good thing.
    Hopefully, cheap smaller bikes get new riders started.
  7. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you looked at the TU250?

8. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out the CBR250R. It only looks like a sport bike. The ergos are standard.

Also, the new CB500F, due here in the spring is another standard that may work well for you too.
  9. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Grossly underpowered for a 250.
  10. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    +1

That thing needs a V-twin from the Kymco Venox or VTR 250 (both ~28hp).
  11. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    I checked it out at the motorcycle show. I wish they'd put that engine in a TU250 frame. I think it would be better ergonomically.
  13. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the TU frame larger and roomier?

14. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    It might actually be smaller...but the seating position of the TU feels roomier...saddle is flat and roomy, while the saddle on the GW is sort of U-shaped and I felt wedged into position while sitting on it. That was my preliminary impression.
  15. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
  16. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is an artists rendering, clearly strangely scaled pieces of speed triple photoshopped together.
  17. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hello Jon, I saw the GW at the Cleveland ,OH Motorcycle Show this past week end [1/26/13] . The GW appeared a little larger than my GZ [IMHO] I liked the seat and seating position ,for me [5, 91/2 29 inseam ] it was comfortable. My GZ does feel a little cramped but I didn't notice that on the GW. The bike had a nice instrument panel [tach,gear indicator,ditigital speedo,etc] mag type wheels and disk brakes on both ends. Would really liked to have an opportunity to test ride it. It appears black is the only color this year and the price was not avaliable as yet. It had dual exhausts and looked like a larger motorcycle than it is. Overall it had a great appearance. I would love to have the Instruments,disk brakes, and wheels on my GZ, wonder if they would fit? CMS [Terry]:ricky
  18. wabbit45

wabbit45 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a Gladius 250 to me.

That being said, I didn't think that the Gladius 650, now the SFV650 (gone are the SV650's), is a bad looking bike.

I did think that the Gladius was a bit cramped in the legs for me (6'2", 36" inseam), but I did like the ergos of the reach and forward lean. The bike also felt well-balanced.

Why mention the Gladius? I think it is a 250 version... a HEAVY version. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Lots of people on here calling the GW250 a porker. Well, they said that about my 2006 Honda Interceptor. That was the most fun on two wheels I've had to date. That heaviness turns your bike into something WELL PLANTED during high speed corners. The weight gets pushed into the track/road and gives you this wonderful feeling that you are joined with the road through your bike. You feel PLANTED (did I say that already?!) This gives you confidence and BALLS to push the bike further to find its limits.

I believe that the limits on the Kaw and Honda suspension will be reached faster than that of the Zuki. Translation? - When you're slowing down on bumpy turns cause you're afraid you'll kill yourself on your Kaw or Honda because the front and rear are all over the place, the guy on the GW is going to brake later, be right on your ass going in and pass you on the way out. You may take him on a straight, but he'll be playing with you ALL DAY on the corners because he has the weight keeping him on the road... sound familiar?

I was always pushing my Interceptor and I was always SMILING (sometimes crappping myself and swearing I'll never do THAT again!).

I believe that this GW250 is going to be pretty stiffly sprung as far as a 250 goes. I'll bet the ride is smoother because of it's weight than either the Honda or the Kaw. That means to me that highway rides will be more pleasant, less buzzy, less harsh on expansion joints, than the Kaw or Honda. Am I starting to get through to you that weight is not really a bad thing? It's how you throw it around that counts!

As far as the power to weight sucking ass??? - Since when did that EVER stop any of us from taking a stock bike we like and making it into a pimped out bike we LOVE? Single race exhaust, power commander, change the rear and front sprockets, chain, bore and stroke it, chip it, etc... YOU GET WHAT I'M SAYING YET? :evil

At 180lbs. I'd start off riding the GW with the rear sprung at 5 out of 7 and see what she does. Dump the fork oil, get heavier oil and a progressive set of fork springs.

You want to take off weight? Get rid of the heavy dual exhausts all the way up to the heads. Personally, I like dual exhaust. I think they add balance to a bike.

I wouldn't mind this new GW250 at all. I think it'll prove more fun than the Honda or Kaw, and easier to work on to boot. I think this is going to be a surprisingly flickable grunt machine with a soft side - to your butt - that the others don't have.

My last Suzuki was a 2005 Suzuki 650 V-Strom. I think this GW250 will have the same lazy, fun feel to it.

I'm looking for something to piss off the cagers with in the city. This seems like the ticket to me! My current ride does plenty of cager rage - Fully bagged, heated grips, tricked out 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 with a full Akropovic race dual exhaust.
  19. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm probably out of this one too. Suzuki should have had it in dealerships already. But as soon as I saw the new Honda CTX, I knew that was the bike for me. It will replace my aging cruiser, and I won't need to buy a maxi scooter.
  20. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    EDIT: the post I was commenting on is now completely different, so my comment is no longer valid.