Tourmaster synergy electric jacket

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by spraypilot, Jan 16, 2008.

1. eeore39648

eeore39648 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This might help ya,http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/pages.php?pagenm=feat_tourmaster_synergy I used this jacket liner with a XR650L that had a stator output 186 max watts, with no problems, while using on low, med., or high..
  2. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I was an early-adopter and got one of the very first Synergy jackets. Never had a controller failure but I did have the controller cable pull out of the liner twice. Both times, Tourmaster sent a replacement jacket, no questions asked, which was encouraging. I am now more careful not to pull hard on the controller cable and have had four or five years of service with no problems. The liner has kept me warm on a 20-hour marathon ride in 40-50F weather and lashing rain, and numerous shorter rides in the 30's. Every other jacket I have owned or tried has had hot spots that became bothersome on long rides but the Synergy seems to heat far more evenly.

Have used the jacket on medium setting while riding my DR350 for hours at a time and not had any charging issues.

Interested in the jumper plug as an emergency measure although I think I could fairly easily find and short the right pins together I had to.
  3. eeore39648

eeore39648 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :deal
    :clap
  4. YT Dave

YT Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I hope you have more luck with Tourmaster than I did with my Gerbings products. The first heated jacket I bought didn't last a week before it melted into my neck while I was riding down the highway. In fact it melted through my T-shirt and into my neck. I had to rip them apart in order to take it back for replacement. Anyway, Gerbings must have been concerned about a law-suit or something because they replaced it without much hassle. I got a new heated jacket from them and this summer when I went up the Dempster Highway to Inuvik, NWT my Gerbings controller bit the dust. Guess what, Gerbings won't replace because I didn't register the product within 3 months of purchase date. In Canada we have to register our guns, cars, boats and a few other things. Why the hell should I have to register a heated jacket controller from Gerbings? I'll tell you why...it gives them an out/excuse for not having to replace their product when it craps out long before the "3 year Warranty". I guess I'll have to go out and buy another 100 dollar controller now... Thank-you Gerbings for NOTHING. If I ever get weak and decide to buy another Gerbings product I'm gonna insist on being kissed at the store cause I like to be kissed when I'm getting screwed.
  5. eeore39648

eeore39648 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your story. Sorry for your bad luck.
    Gerbings shocked me with the pricing. I had never had heated gear, and was not willing to take a $300 chance.
    I have Very happy with the Synergy, no problems so far, good thing its warranteed for 3 years.
    Get you one, I think you will happy with it.
  6. CoolHand Luke

CoolHand Luke Can it core a apple?

Oddometer:
    I have posted my tale of woe with this POS jacket and so have many many others. I agree when (more like IF) it works its a good deal for the money...it just never seems to hold up and work right.

I tried to get mine replaced under the 3 yr warranty...they have basically stopped making them and are come ing out with a "new" model sometime in 2011. Their jerk around has taken place over the course of 8-9 months and is total BS. If you buy this (which you probably cant cuz they dont make them anymore) you are destined to be disappointed and left in the cold (pun intended)
  7. eeore39648

eeore39648 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some have Good Luck!:D
    Some have Bad Luck!:cry

After reading through this, Whole thread. I think the knowledge a gained, about its operation, will keep me from haveing problems. If I do, I will go through my local dealer where I bought it from. I purposely bought local, so they could deal with the distributor, Helmut House, if there were problems.:evil
  8. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    So, how long have you been working for Tour Master? Just kidding!

I went though 3 or 4 TM controllers. Just threw all the crap away. Last year I purchased a Gerbing and Heat troller. Great combination.

9. GSJon

GSJon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had to send my Synergy jacket in earlier this year because the wiring covers coming out of jacket to the controller unit started cracking. I received the replacement yesterday which is version 2.0. They have removed the stupid dangling controller thing and it is now more like the Gerbings one. It has a dual controller which can control the jacket or gloves separately. Not cold enough yesterday to go out and use it but it appears to be better thought out.

I was told that I would have to wait until October for the new model to come out so I was not worried about not having one for the several months before the new one came out.
  10. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    Controller died on mine.

Soldered all the wires together and now is in constant high.

If I need it turned off I just unplug it.
  11. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    So do you like the new jacket compared to the old one? The new one uses steel core wires whereas the old one used carbon fiber.
  12. GSJon

GSJon Long timer

Oddometer:

So far yes. I've was able to use it Wednesday & Thursday of this week. It was able to feel the heat quickly - within a block. The nice added touch is the second inbound power for gloves which can go on a separate controller. I had both the jacket & gloves on the same controller as I had not fished the other cable out from under the faring yet. The gloves (Gerbing G3s) worked just fine and I stayed warm. The temps were from 25f to 35f both days.

I did have to turn them down and the grip heaters off while stuck in traffic when the radiator fan kicked in. When I got cold I got cold enough I decided to turn up the RPMs which helped me out.
  13. xtphreak

xtphreak from B4 "adventure bikes" Supporter

Oddometer:
    ya gotsta look harder

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6355654&postcount=72

6A, 5A, 4A
  14. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Warm-n-safe makes a plug (for only $10) that goes into the controller plug of the Synergy jacket, that allows it to be used with theirs, Gerbing's, or any other inline controller:
    http://www.warmnsafe.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_77&products_id=362

Cyclegear has this plug on their site for $9:
    http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/tm_heat_troller_adapter/web1002230
  15. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have one of those plug/adapters. Works fine if you want to use the cited alternative controllers.
  16. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I have not had any problems with the current controller so I'm not going to buy a Heat Troller or other inline controller at this time. However the adapter cable would be useful to stash away somewhere so I could just use the jacket on max or nothing in the event I do ever have an issue with the controller.
  17. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have last years model jacket and gloves. The jacket is very warm and keeps me happy down to 0 and below. Gloves work great on their own, but the thumbs are not covered well, and still get cold. Combining the two using the wiring in the jacket is just fail. As only one controller sets the heat, this never works out. jacket gets too hot and gloves too cool. Need a newer model that takes two controllers. Other than that, they have been working great.
  18. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    I too bought the Tourmaster stuff early on {year they came out if I remember right} and I have to say, I'm still running both vests {me and my wife's} and the chaps. Lots of miles and use on them and have only had two controllers crap and they crapped due to a regulator gone nutty, the bike was making something like 16+ volts. They replaced the controllers and all has been good since. I actually like the long controller stalk because I can fish it through my jacket or one piece suite so it's easy to adjust the temp while riding. For the money, damned hard to beat in my eyes.
  19. wingrider1

wingrider1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a tourmaster jacket and the controller quit.I've read about the adapter that warm and safe makes for use with there heat-trollers.
    What I would like to do is make my own adapter using the plug from my defective controller and then use my pant liner controller with the jacket.
    There's a thread about jumping the wires but the pics and details are missing.
    Anyone have the diagram for making your own jumper?
    Thanks!
  20. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    I found a copy on an old laptop:

[​IMG]
    TonyKZ1 likes this.