New 2012 Honda NC700X 700cc Parallel Twin!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Two Plugs, Sep 27, 2011.

1. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Their new twin looks really promising - compact parallel twin with a proper 270 degree crank :D Direct injection and a small turbo would suit it really well :evil
  2. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Are they still selling current SV1000's over in Europe?
  3. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not that I am aware of, since it was (IMO for no reason) a bit of sales flop.
    But 2nd hand market in Europe is HUGE. Specially now. You can have almost new SV cheaply - 3000-4000 Euro range would buy bike with 10-20 000 km on the clock which is nothing for SV1000.
    I even seen some "stock leftovers" of bikes, that I'd expect long gone. What puzzled me most in recent visit to "sell all makes" dealership is Yamaha Tenere 2008 new for 6500 Euros. Warranty and tax included.
  4. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's my take on it. I really didn't see any ADV bike shining through in those photos, maybe I missed something???

I agree the engine "package" looks promising. I see a double edge sword in the low cylinders. It does allow for a much larger fuel capacity above it, but it also means the wheelbase needs to be stretched out to keep the head from smacking the front wheel on full compression. I don't see that cylinder angle as ideal for an off-road bike unless they put it up higher with the gearbox below ala Husaburg 70 degree.

I think putting the 270 crank in it was definitely the right move. I think Kawi should do the same with their Versys engine.

Hopefully they left some room between the bores to pump it up some for future needs, 700cc is on the low side of most people's desired displacement. Add another 100cc and now you're talking. If they did indeed make use of a "proper" turbo then 700cc is plenty for sure. With DI and twin scroll turbo technology I could see them making a comeback on bikes. The only issue is the extra hardware and plumbing required.
  5. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Code name "Roadrunner"....seriously? What does this tell us? It's a rapid little bird that is at home in the desert and scrubland type environment. Does anyone here think that is what Honda had in mind.........nah.

Look at the new Wee-Strom.

It's even more road oriented than the original. Suzukis research showed the vast majority of the machines were used primarily on the road. Well if I'm honest, the majority of MY riding is on the road just because I have to put in the road miles to go ride the trails and fire-roads.....the entire reason for the existence (and increasing popularity) of the "Dual-Sport". If your market research isn't done carefully I think you can get a very skewed interpretation of how our bikes are actually used.

What most manufacturers don't seem to understand is that it's much easier for a dirt oriented machine to function at a reasonable level on the street than it is for any street oriented machine to function at any reasonable level in the dirt.

Enough with the Dual-Sport compromise bikes.......give me a largish rallye replica from the early 90s.

.......oh wait....I already have two of those. Well, maybe a new one would be nice but I still can't get being stuck down in Mexico with a bad servo-motor or oxygen sensor ......nevermind.
  6. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ladder106 - this is spot on...
    "What most manufacturers don't seem to understand is that it's much easier for a dirt oriented machine to function at a reasonable level on the street than it is for any street oriented machine to function at any reasonable level in the dirt." - sums it up to perfection. Hear hear.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i'm reading your lines of talk and coming to the conclusion you are full of **it and making all this up as you go. reason?

you started a thread like it's a fact about a new bike when you are wishing. fabrication #1. you are describing a ADV/dual-sport bike which is obviously meant for dirt. now you claim to "know" it's internal name is roadrunner which infers a paved road based bike. fabrication #2?

i'm sure you laughing at all us gullible Americans.
    i think the truth is you have no clue, but read there is a 3rd bike and thought it would be fun to make something up for ADV.

8. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    + 2
  9. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    i hope honda does not call it AFRICA TWIN . it would be a great shame to use that name on anything less than than the real thing. LET THE LEGEND LIVE ON . the AFRICA TWIN is still a great bike today .there is no need to name a half-assed attempt at an adventure bike ' AFRICA TWIN"
    IT WOULD BE AN INSSULT TO THE REAL AFRICA TWIN.

NORTH RIDER
  10. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree. This thread seems to be a lot of hear say and a lot of wishing.

All Honda have to do, is blow the dust off the assembly line that made the AT's in the 90's and start making them again with a FI motor if that's whats required nowadays.

Thats too simple I guess. Would be a sexier bike than the new V strom, with better off road manners and a cheaper option to the BMW, Triumph or KTM.

OK, anyody want to call Honda.
  11. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is the really hard way of going about it. The simplest way is to send an immaculate example of to a Chinese manufacturer. Give them two weeks and they will have exact copies rolling out the door for $US3000.00 a pop.

1990's production quality and all :deal
  12. Two Plugs

Two Plugs Born to be blunt Supporter

Oddometer:
    @ Bill (Eakins),

I'm laughing at no one. Every one has a right of an own opinion which I have to respect - which doesn't mean that I have to agree with that opinion. And despite I love my RD01, I'm not an Africa Twin enthusiast or 'fanatic'.

If you don't like my 'phantasies' (or: call it wishfull thinking, which comes closer... ;) about this bike announced to come, don't reply on this topic. It is as easy as that.

The only phantasy in this topic is the name 'Africa Twin' which I made op. Confesion! But you won't caught me speaking for an intire community like you did:

But there will be an adventure bike based on the new parraller twin - whether you like it, or won't. Whether we will like the actual bike, or don't. Whether it will remain as an more- or less promissing prototype, or will be on the market eventualy.

I'm holding my breath anyway - and see if it will be another dissapointement on which I bounce my head! ;)
  13. Dust Buster

Dust Buster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That assemblyline is still running, producing the Latest Transalp XL700, pretty much the same bike as the old Transalp and Africa twin, but fuelinjected, 17/19 wheels, 60 hp, claimed wieight 219 kg with oil and gas ready to run.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. Rema in Paluda

Rema in Paluda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well i see a Beemer, standing here on our courtyard :-)

[​IMG]
    Hope not Honda is thinking about going GS copying...

But it would be nice if Honda Also returned to their roots, instead of baking half-wash compromises like the Crossrunner, bake us another XRV Cake please, shaftdrive V-Twin, but then with real Honda Reliabilty, that would liven the ADV scene.

Even the styling would be welcome, timeless modern, that real Africa Twin of old:
    [​IMG]
  15. Two Plugs

Oddometer:
    Honda already did... In 1983... ;)

Attached Files:

16. Two Plugs

Oddometer:
    The idea of the ‘1983 XLV750R (RD01) mentioned above was good – despite the fact that it had some serious quality issues (gearbox, oil cooler) and for those days too pricy: it was mend to compete with the first series R80GS, but over USD 2.400,- more expensive!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    - Air-cooled 750cc Vtwin<o:p></o:p>
    - Easy maintenance: Airlifter on top of fuel tank, oil filter on the engine bases right from front cylinder; oil reservoir in frame;<o:p></o:p>
    - Air supported suspension front ánd rear – 1983!<o:p></o:p>
    - shaft ride<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    It was in production till (I believe) <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:metricconverter w:st="on" ProductID="1985. In">1985 as XLV750R (RF). In</st1:metricconverter> 1986, the Transalp XL600V was introduced, 2 years later the Africa Twin XRV650.<o:p></o:p>
  17. Rema in Paluda

Rema in Paluda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ehm, look a bit closer at the sidecar rig please :-)
  18. omeoxlv

omeoxlv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. Crash48

Crash48 Secular Lord

Oddometer:
    If the third concept bike has manual transmission capability, shaft drive and at least 7&7 inches suspension travel... I'll start holding my breath - while continuing to thrash my future '87 Transalp all around the coast of Nova Scotia.
  20. A-Wind

A-Wind Andreas RD07a

Oddometer:
    +1 Well said!

The old Africa Twin was a true XR V. With the new Africa Twin, I hope Honda won't follow the trend for half-assed adventure bike look alikes.