2013 Husqvarna 650 Terra

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by grunkster, Sep 11, 2012.

1. netteb16

netteb16 hangersoutters

Oddometer:
  2. netteb16

netteb16 hangersoutters

Oddometer:
  3. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    An X-Challenge without the X-Challenge "flaws": No airshock, a reasonable price, and an extra gallon of fuel capacity. Not crazy about the extra 50 pounds, but they throw in an extra 5HP, so I'll forgive them..

I love my X-Challenge as a lightweight adventure bike. This new bike is essentially what I have been making my X-Challenge into. Not sure how many people have the same taste as me, but I would be all over this (if I didn't already own essentially the same thing).
  4. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Cheaper buy-in doesn't make it any more appealing I'm afraid. The same reasons I don't want a BMW650 are the same ones I don't want the Hoosky version.
  5. deepcdiver

deepcdiver Nobody Special

Oddometer:
    I agree, would never consider it at any price. But should steal some KLR sales and rightly so....
  6. Davidc83

Davidc83 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2009 bmw g650gs and it is a great bike. I bought it new in 2009 and it now has 28,000+ miles.
    My average mpg is 70-72mpg doing 70mph on the superslab. My low fuel light came on this morning at 232 miles, got gas 2 miles later and I had a half gallon left (used 3.6 gallons): you do the math 232/3.6=?? (my 2009 has the 4.1 US gallon tank).
    BMW is going after the KLR riders with this bike. The terra is the off-road version and the strada is the on-road version.
  7. modeselector

modeselector Common as muck

Oddometer:
  8. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    I reckon Eric will be making X Tanks for these pretty quickly.

With an X Tank on my X Challenge it gave 17 litres which could give me between 400-470 klms depending on the conditions.
  9. netteb16

netteb16 hangersoutters

Oddometer:
    Indeed. Sertao has an under the seat tank.

Long, somewhat dramatic shots in this vid, but you get nice closeups of the dash and tank...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iadv7DMAIbk
  10. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting tidbit that no one has mentioned is Husky/BMW went old school and used a steel frame and a steel swingarm. No wonder it's heavy. :deal

I get the cost savings aspect of that, but then to use 2 mufflers on a single cylinder bike? :huh
  11. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    I was so hoping this would be the bike that everyone, well me at least :D, was waiting for. A fix to the BMW G650X shortcomings at a reasonable price.. well they got some of it right I guess. Still dissapointed in the front suspension, but the weight is just a killer... over 400lbs... still waiting for someone to get it right. Of course maybe the bike I want simply cant be built.. I guess the tradeoff for the weight is the steel frame that should make luggage options easy.
  12. modeselector

Oddometer:
  13. modeselector

Oddometer:
    That's it.

I think there are a few people having a difficult time understanding what segment this bike fits. Obviously, this is not the typical Husky single-track bike. But it checks the boxes of many touring DS riders I think. :thumb
  14. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Specs list it as having a 6 speed trans, thats good. The forks look like non adjustable, thats bad.
  15. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
  16. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
  17. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    certainly didnt see anything that would have slowed down my R1200GSA either
  18. mxbundy

mxbundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The way the bike is being ridden in the video is the way 90% of DR650`s, KLR650`s and most other mid sized bikes are being rode by the vast majority of riders on this site.
    Seems like a perfectly fine adventure touring bike to me. Add panniers and off you go!
    I need to get my hands on one asap to get started on a seat. I think they will sell allot of these.

Bundy
  19. modeselector

Oddometer:
    I doubt it would be a 6-speed since the beginning of time this motor has always been a 5.

You really expect adjustable forks from BMW? Reality is, most guys from the F6/F8 crowd get the suspension set up for them and never touch the clickers.
  20. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    All I know is what I read on the Husqvarna spec sheet. I know about the BMW suspension as I have a F800gs. But the forks are Sachs, not Marzocchi. Hopefully Huskey did not decide the crimp the cartridge tubes. It would certainly make it cheaper to fix.

Lots of things that I wish were different, but I am tired of waiting for a 400lb multi Adventure bike. Maybe this is good enough with the typical $2,000 thrown at it.

You need to do the same with the BMW's anyway.