Classic bonehead move...with bad results

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Cyath, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Cyath

Cyath Impetulant Ignoramus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, she has a brand spanking new Yuasa battery on a battery tender and the spark was blue.
    What's the CDI?
  2. Dogtown

Dogtown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fuel coming in and sparking blue plugs equal combustion! The only thing I can thing of is fuel to air ratios not being correct for actual combustion. If this was the cause a sensor would be out somewhere and your FI would be throwing a fault code. My money is on a pinched wire some where. Check all over for missing insulation on wiring or a ground.

Good luck!
  3. HeatXfer

HeatXfer Bad knees

Oddometer:
    You've got spark & fuel: too much fuel? If the ECU lost control of the EFI leaving both injector valves open you'd experience the same symptoms you're having now. Can you smell gas at the exhaust tips?

Or maybe the fuel pump isn't running when you crank the engine, only when you turn the key to on. Again, an ECU failure.

4. achile

achile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dosen't the pump need a bit of priming?

If you don't smell gas, you can always use a seringe and a hose to squirt some gas in the cylinder. My xtz 750 Super Tenere had this nasty habbit.
  5. Steveman

Steveman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah right!
    Come on.... all lights of the dash would be on if kill switch is pressed... and this is the same on all KTM motorcycles.

Repeat the spark test and do it properly. Take the ignition cable off and put a sparkplug into the plug and hold the spark plugs thread against the engine block, start and see if theres a healthy blue spark, repeat for second cylinder.
    You could also check the kill switch, meaning measure it with an Ohmmeter and check if your bike is equipped with an roll-over switch which might be the reason why your bike didnt fire up before the battery mess. Even if your battery is brand new, take another one for testing... Try to get an ECU from a mates bike or someone in here for testing...

Good luck
    Steve

Sent from Samsung w. Tapatalk
  6. Adventcha UnCut

Adventcha UnCut Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Place your hand on the bottom of the fuel pump on the start up procedure to feel if it is actually working - no vibes then something is amiss. Pull the pump assembly out of the LHS tank & check to see if the neg (-) female wire hasn't pulled from the male in the bottom of the pump unit or other way around. From experience :cry.

Good luck

ADV UNCuT
  7. przjohn

przjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, what happened? Did you take it to the dealer?
  8. Dogtown

Dogtown Been here awhile

Oddometer:

+1
    ???

Did you not have the kill switch to on??? :wink::D
  9. Cyath

Cyath Impetulant Ignoramus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, just to put this thread to bed, it was the fuel pump after all. It was working, but when they pressure tested it, it wasn't putting out enough psi. Go fucking figure.
  10. unaweep

unaweep Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer:
    I hate to admit this, but I once hooked up the low fuel connection to the fuel pump and vice versa. I know- it's color coded so a monkey can figure it out. :bluduh

Shit! Now that I got to the end, I want to delete this post. :lol3

But I won't. It may help somebody as dumb as me someday.:thumb
  11. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    I shall not cast the first stone.

But I won't admit anything, either ; )