Kawasaki ZX14..Who haz one??

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Davo-55, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Yostwerks

Yostwerks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today's Ride ...

Great brakes and traction control are a must for this beast :D Fortunately, it has both.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Davo-55

Davo-55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What kind of power is that bike putting down with those mods? I ask because I also have an 06 and wonder how a modified first gen motor compares with the new version
  3. wfobusa

wfobusa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had a 07 and an 09 and now own the 2012 .. I can tell you that the difference between older gen. and this one is huge .. My 07 was set up for top speed @ Maxton but the engine was bone stock .. It did have a full 4 into 1 Brocks exhaust, PC III, and was dyno mapped for the VP MR9 oxygenated low octane fuel ..
    My new 12 model is far superior and I'm surprised that more excitement has not been generated by it's performance .. "Seat of the pants " tells all and this is the first bike I've had that fulfills my level of satisfaction for "G's" and acceleration adrenilin .. I have dual Muzzy"s (carbon-fibre) and the sound is exquisite . Traction control is the reason this bike can be offered to John Q. Public .. It takes several pushes of the button to bypass the default traction control on startup , therefore rendering the bypasser full responsibility for whats to come .
    Not only is the acceleration and torque off the bottom unbelievable .. but the civility and smoothness makes it a great sport tourer ..
  4. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What kind of fuel economy does the '12 get? I was just on another threat about sport tourers where an '07 Busa is getting 46-55 mpg ridden between 60 and 90 mph. This was news to me, as the Sportrider test showed 29-34 mpg. Is this all about HP and traction control, or can you actually get range for (hyper) sport touring?

P.S. are you incredibly insenstive to acceleration? I would have thought that any modern 1000cc supersport would have been PLENTY!
  5. Hank.SD

Hank.SD Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I could get over 40 on my '12 with a careful hand. 20's was also possible.
    I sold it, as it really was just too much on the street. I didn't think I'd ever say that about a bike.
  6. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want a ZX-14!

Where is CO is this picture taken? Thx.

7. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    Nice!

I took a new 14 for a demo ride a few months ago. Shouldn't of told the dealer I had it up to 90...:D

Couldn't handle one, but a C14 on the other hand... :evil
  8. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get one and avoid the DT's! :D :1drink

9. Yostwerks

Yostwerks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 .... In addition, it's nimble in the twisties.

Along Hwy 126 in the foothills near Deckers ....

Same Road ... Buffalo Creek
    [​IMG]

Nearby ... Foxton Road
    [​IMG]

Nearby .... Pleasant Park Road, Conifer
    [​IMG]
  10. wfobusa

wfobusa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "Nimble in the twisties" for sure .. This is my fall colors trip through the southern Smokies earlier this fall. I'm lucky to be so close and I do this huge 300 mile loop at least once a season. This photo is the second of a 5 shot set taken by Killboy.com and I'm impressed with the results from an impromtu shot.
    [​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  11. wfobusa

wfobusa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those dual Muzzy"s tuck in nice and shed lots of weight. I rode this to the Keys back in March and am getting over 40 mpg at a fast cruise ..usually look for stopping around 180 miles..
    [​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  12. wfobusa

wfobusa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like that you can toggle through the trip meters, mileage computer ,temp, range, etc. from a rocker switch on the left clip-on .. no more leaning forward to push that tiny button .
    [​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  13. VFR Titus

VFR Titus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From Hong Kong, VFR Interceptor to Vstrom 1000 to this in 4 years. Picking it up on Thursday:

[​IMG]
  14. BigIron

BigIron Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer:
    When riding with IronWife, at a nice steady 55-60, I saw 52 once on my '12. Then again, I also saw 9 while caning it.

Overall, I'm at about 37.
  15. BigIron

BigIron Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer:
    That was the big surprise for me. Everyone knows that it's fast, the surprising part was that it's just a fantastic bike to ride all the time, twisties, slab, anywhere and everywhere.
  16. Kenbike

Kenbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    MY 06 with these mods hits 196 rear wheel hp on gas and 254 with 50 shot of nitrous on Ryan Schintz dyno. I tested a 2012 for a demo and it is fast but my bike pulls harder than the 2012 did stock. Mine has lost a lot of weight due to aftermarket wheels(9lbs saving) 4 into 1 Brocks short meg,removed rear air foil, stripped off any extra rubber dampers, guards, rear pegs. I recall 525 lbs on the scales with 3/4 tank of fuel a few years ago.
    I took my last road trip with stock gearing and it was good, just installed a 2 tooth larger rear sprocket 43/17 and it really hits harder. Not as much as 45/16 that I was running for drag racing. This current gearing is good for street and touring, ok for a few blast at the strip.
  17. Tuna Helper

Tuna Helper Rawrr!

Oddometer:
    I bought it, rode it to Deal's Gap, and later traded it in on a Road Glide. Now I am kinda wishing I had kept it. There's an '06 on my local CL for 5k, but I already have 4 bikes in the garage, and the insurance on a zx-14 was well over $500 for full coverage.

The one I owned had a Brock Alienhead pipe on it and I scraped it in one of these curves. Honestly I was a little nervous riding through the Dragon on it because the power at the wheel. It also felt like a heavy non turning bike, until I put a 50 series tire on the front.

[​IMG]
  18. BigDaveSr

BigDaveSr It’s All Good

Oddometer:
  19. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ZG ST screen? How do you like it, whatever it is? I'm about to order a "winter" screen of some sort.
  20. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer: