Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    because I was stuck in BFE Panama in an afternoon monsoon and they don't sell them in the jungle.
  2. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Ahhhh, OK. Thought you meant you COULDN'T use tubes. My only concern is the offset valve stem but Helge Pedersen says it's not a problem, so OK. Gonna start packing tubes and spoons when riding to remote areas. SOG carried tubes on our recent Mexico trip.
  3. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Schizz, I would love to ride with both of you guys! :clap Its going to happen sometime for sure! :freaky
  4. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    :freaky
  5. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    I'm not a fan of Helge. But I should pack a tube (just a 19, it'll fit a 17 rear okay). And I have the cool Motion Pro axle/spoon already..

OTOH given my experience, I'm better off carrying an extra axle nut and rear wheel bearings than a tube.
  6. miguelito

miguelito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey! Some of my best friends are from Compton. And yes, they are a better class of vato. :rofl
  7. miguelito

Oddometer:
    Thanks for saying this oyster. I was going to say pretty much the same, but didn't have the time to backstop it with data. The NYT is not the lib rag it was once thought to be.
  8. miguelito

Oddometer:
    LOL! :rofl
  9. miguelito

Oddometer:
    Hell if I know John. I runs from queretaro thru SMA then SLP, PROLLY THEN TO MATEHUALA, Saltillo, Monterrey?
  10. miguelito

Oddometer:
    Somebody said, some pages back, that they wouldn't overnight in Torreon again. I think that's the takeaway for anyone who's actually spent a night there. That said, I had an OK night there. I just don't aspire to do it again.
  11. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Yup. ( Like Tedder said) Just a new 19. But it was a direct result of TXJames slashing his front at RMAR on the rocks on Engineer Pass last summer.

And sure enough, Terrapinneck slashed his front on the rocks headed to Zaragoza. Two fat sticky plugs and gobs of glue held...but the tube was cheap insurance.

But like I said, I carried damn near everything repair or emergency-wise. I even had the OEM emergency rubber valve cover. I carried so much in case of a wreck, I almost caused a wreck by being overweight.
  12. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    My moto died yesterday and has not fired since. :cry Maybe the problem will be found now. Two loaded KLRs passed me while I was broke down and didn't even slow down!
    <!-- / message -->
  13. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    That's just WRONG! :huh What's the matter with those guys?!

What are your plans, Donnie?
  14. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    You were like Tanker and Tender all in one. :lol3
    But you forgot to pack Theraflu.
  15. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto

It is going to a shop today. The mechanic looked at it yesterday and thinks it is the computer, but all the info I am getting from the Oilhead forum suggest it is related to the Hall Sensor. I need to verify if the Hall sensor was "really" replaced in Mexico! I am only 100 miles from Tapachula, MX and 150 miles from Ana;s house, so I will get it resolved one way or another. I am in Panajachel, Guatemala. I am looking at used parts on Ebay, don't know how difficult it will be to get them here. Anyone with experience on this issue from the US to Guatemala?
  16. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    +1 for the hall sensor. You had the hall sensor replaced in mexico? Where? are you sure they replaced it with a new one?

DO NOT buy a used hall sensor. Get a new one from beemerboneyard or euromotoelectric. I'm sure either one will help you with the shipping. Changing is simple. As noted on the GSpot thread the timing cup needs to be glued to the back of the alternator pulley and be sure the index tab on the cup mates with the slot in the output shaft.

I don't undertand your comment about jumpering the coil when the HES was replaced. HES relacement does not involve the coils and is plug and play. Check the hall of wisdom
  17. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tedder - a couple of interesting things about this... ONE - I had a 650 V-Strom bought and set up for this trip, but low ground clearance was a pain and one (of a number) of the reasons I switched to the Super Tenere.

And TWO, Juanita has added that ramp there since I was there in December. It must be really disappointing for her to know that she made it too steep for fucking V-Stroms!

Now

[​IMG]

Then
    [​IMG]

Super Tenere had no problem with what is basically 3 steps, if you include the concrete block at the bottom.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e18n7_Ugi44?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e18n7_Ugi44?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

18. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

One of my -ex's got a nasty break just from the rail that supports the bags (bags were off when she fell).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  19. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Donny,

Looks like you got the bike somewhere that it can be worked on... but I'm in Guatemala City today and tomorrow, let me know if there's anything I can do to help. Can bring stuff over to Panajachal if necessary.

Trevor

20. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Gotcha! I was forgetting that you were on the Mexican side ;)

The Eagle Pass to San Antonio line runs through the small towns near here (Utopia). They seem to haul a lot of cement-like materials on Mexican rail cars. I think the tracks are being repaired at the moment.

I was once riding from Houston to Brownsville and the train was running next to the road. As I passed it I noticed that it was a CSX train and thought that was ironic since CSX was based in Jacksonville, FL, which was my home at the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD