Gymkhana

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Vulfy, May 6, 2012.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    are you on the Ninjette now?

post up on br and well kill kones one evening :)
  2. shaddix

shaddix Banned

Oddometer:
    I bought haknslash's ninja 1000!!

I have the ninjette too but I am currently in process of rebuilding the carbs so it isn't going anywhere for a while...
  3. Vulfy

Vulfy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I though it was a cute joke about having "chicken strips" in the middle of the tire when riding Gymkhana...

Yeah...

:evil

[​IMG]
    chickentStrips by rkcilf999, on Flickr
  4. shaddix

shaddix Banned

Oddometer:
    Are his 360s full lock in this video?
  5. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    ohhh, that bike. very nice, not nearly as easy to fix when dropped... hak makes great videos/stills, wish he was still around :(

like I said, post up, all the cool kids come out for a kone killing :)
  6. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would say not. Not far off, though. Motards & trail bikes have huge lock & wide bars. The biggest problem I have found on my trailie getting to full lock is keeping control when one hand is almost jammed against the tank & the other is straight up & out. At full lock the bike turns on a pin head & I can only do it if I'm standing up.
    Mind you, I've never ridden an off the shelf motard so could be talking absolute cobblers.
  7. Motogymkhanaman

Motogymkhanaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Motard rider is Mr Sakuta who is one of the original founders of the sport and is also the chap that makes the 3 point sports bumpers that you will see fitted to most Gymkhana bikes.

All rotation and U turns will be done with the bars against the lock stops as that ensures that the rear wheel describes the smallest possible arc. Sakuta-san ensures the bars have unrestricted movement by making sure his elbows are kept up out of the way. Remember that the basic seating position is butt-back, knees-in, elbows-out and head-up.

Here is a great slo-mo video of Sakuta-san negotiating a rotation turn on his previous bike.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gGtLh8UcXU8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  8. Jezza

Jezza A British Invasion

Oddometer:
    Nice illustration of just how hard he is working the front end of that bike.

Here is Sakuta-san at full speed, very impressive :clap

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MD111NoLuLs" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
  9. shaddix

shaddix Banned

Oddometer:
    What is the mph on those bikes doing 360s at full lock? I have been trying to learn rear brake use at 7mph and I fear I will stall the motor...
  10. Vulfy

Vulfy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So stall it.

Best way to get rid of fear, is to experience what you fear.

Go in a straight line, so you don't drop your bike, and try to stall your motor with rear brake, see where the cut off point is. Feel for what the bike is doing. Motor will surge pretty badly before stalling, so you should have plenty of tell tale signs before it seizes.

All bikes are different. I couldn't stall my Triumph Speed Triple for the life of me, and thats going in circles where the bike is thumping and surging, at snails pace, dragging rear.

Rux (my friend) used to stall his KTM SMC 690 all the time.

Things like these we can't really explain or even give an accurate base to. There are so many variables. Just try it for yourself and you'll learn a lot more than reading about it.

:beer
  11. shaddix

shaddix Banned

Oddometer:
    The reason I ask is because... if they are riding at 16mph around the corner, then I am pointless to be practicing at 7. I should speed up and practice doing full lock at 10mph without being close to stalling the motor
  12. JonU

JonU Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would do that on my mountain bike when I was bored riding around the neighborhood. I'm assuming the same principle applies on the MC as on the mountain bike, just with more mass involved?
  13. Motogymkhanaman

Oddometer:
    Interesting question from Shaddix and the answer is "it depends"!

We want to change the bikes heading as quickly as possible when we are doing rotation turns and the faster we go the slower this rate of change in the heading will be. There are a lot of variables that we need to take into account such as lean angle, steering angle and body position etc, so it's difficult to provide a clean answer.

If you watch any of the videos of the Japanese riders doing rotation turns, you will notice that the rear wheel is not travelling all that fast even though the front wheel might be whizzing round.

As with most Moto Gymkhana exercises the fun is all in the trying and spending some time working out the best ratio of speed aginst heading change will keep you occupied for hours! BTW, the optimum time for a 360 degree rotation is 2.5 seconds, so that should give you a bit of a clue.
  14. Motogymkhanaman

Oddometer:
    Great video of the recent Moto Gymkhana event in Lelystad in The Netherlands.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/23Hf4_7J0eE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  15. liquid_ice

liquid_ice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. rthuey

rthuey twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer:
    insanity is not as easy as i make it look
    looky...finally fixed

[​IMG]

when's the next session?!?
  17. Vulfy

Vulfy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @rthuey

Next session is most likely next weekend (22-23). I will let you know here. I'm waiting for a crash cage for my new bike (sold Triumph and got SV650). Don't want to push it on a new bike without protection on it. Hopefully cage will be here tomorrow so I can install it.
  18. Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow Thread Ninja

Oddometer:
    that triumph looked good
  19. Vulfy

Vulfy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it did. Loved that bike, but it was heavy, somewhat fragile, and parts were expensive as well as a bit of a pita to get.

Needed something cheap, light, with big aftermarket for cheap replacements, and CRASH CAGE !!! :D

I headed in the right direction with the DRZ, but after riding it for a bit, came to a conclusion that I hate dirt bike ergonomics on the street, so sold it.

Hopefully SV is the right choice. So far I'm liking it a lot. Its definitely not Triumph, but I think it will be perfect for Gymkhana, which is basically all I do on the bike now-days.
  20. Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow Thread Ninja

Oddometer:
    yeah, nothing like european auto for expencive bits.. atest this side of the planet anyway