dualsportmaps.com - Android App

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by craftycoder, May 26, 2011.

1. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    It's not a large file or anything. Because it doesn't have any tracks on it you cannot download it to the app in the traditional way (the search mechanism within the app looks for tracks not waypoints). You need to go to the website and download the GPX file and then email it to your phone and open the attachment within your email program with DSM. That works with GMAIL anyway. You can also put the file the phone directly and open it with DSM that way.

I linked to the map above so you can find it easily enough. Also, if you use the text search feature on the website you can search "hot springs" and find it that way.
  2. muddy udders

muddy udders Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Crafty,
    Just wanted to say thanks for the time and effort you have put into this app.
    I was in need of a new GPS and stumbled on this thread yesterday. Didn't take more than an hour of reading and I downloaded the app and haven't looked back.
    I have uploaded a couple overlays of OHV areas and have made a loop using the online software then downloaded it to my phone and now my dedicated Droid X GPS.

I have a few more loops to get made and tested then I will open them up for the public.

Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!!!!

PS:I am only at page 44 but still reading

Muddy
  3. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    My pleasure amigo.

I went to high school in Sebastopol. Where are you calling home in Sonoma County?
  4. muddy udders

muddy udders Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Small world!!
    Santa Rosa.

A question: When you cache tiles for a route and have cached an adjacent route that shares some of the same tiles do you end up caching some tiles multiple times or does the program know what you already have?
  5. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    I am an SRJC alumnus. Back when it was $6 a unit or $72 a semester whichever was cheaper. The good old days (of the 90s).

Your answer is that is done in the smartest way. You never download the image twice or store it twice. I do put the image on the list of things to download so it will go on the list of files to grab (and on the file count) but I check if it exists before I actually do the download so bandwidth and storage are not impacted.
  6. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
    On the subject of caching - I know you can cache map and/or satellite images that surround your tracks but I've been trying to cache areas I plan to visit but don't have any tracks there. So far I've just been scrolling around the area and zooming in and out and that seems to cache the tiles.

Is there a way similar to downloading vector maps for specific regions?

BTW, HTC just released Andoid 4.0 for my Sensation phone and I upgraded - seems to be working fine. Will DSM always be OK with the latest software or should we check with you first?

Thanks
    Bob
  7. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    I use a Google phone so I always get the latest version first. Since this is what I use you can be pretty confident that it will work. No doubt someone in the future will quote me on this and I'll be wrong....

Your other question has been asked and answered many times. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16991365&postcount=467

8. inspectorpacket

inspectorpacket back in the saddle again.

Oddometer:
    Galaxy Nexus (Google experience phone) Android 4.0.4 Build IMM76F

Is there plans to support this config ?
  9. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    How so? I run a Nexus S with the latest built just fine.

10. inspectorpacket

inspectorpacket back in the saddle again.

Oddometer:
    taking this to PM :evil
  11. GeckoRider

GeckoRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oakland, CA, USA, Thrid Rock from the Star Sol
    Having a "small" issue with turning on the DSM "layer" from the main screen. While other layers show up fine (like the Google Traffic) when I check the DSM layer the screen goes grey and stays grey with no error or info on the screen, until I go back with the back key.

Sorry if this is not the right place for this or if it has been addressed some where in this thread. Enjoying the app other wise.
  12. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    This is a new one. Since I wrote the code, I am pretty sure there is no where in the code where I paint grey on the entire screen. The closest thing is a checkerboard I paint before a map get drawn. Zoom in and out to verify you are not just zoomed in too far. If that doesn't work, uninstall and reinstall the app. You will only lose the downloaded tracks from the website which are, of course, trivial to download again.

13. GeckoRider

GeckoRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oakland, CA, USA, Thrid Rock from the Star Sol
    Humm, not too zoomed in. Removed the app several times, and even went through the directory and removed all POI and such, but no luck, still grey when turning on DSM layer. Anything else I should check that could be causing problems? Files I should try removing? My hardware is a Droid 2 Global if that makes any diff. Thanks for the help.
  14. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Send me a screen shot or a video or something. I don't have enough info to offer any other suggestions. You are the only person to mention this so there are no "in the can" answers for you.
  15. ShastaKLR

ShastaKLR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello there

I recently bought this app and would like to transfer a batch of tracks I have on Google Earth to use on my Droid. Ideally I would like to have the tracks appear on my saved (Vector???) maps so I can view my saved maps as well as the tracks from Google Earth overlayed on them.

Also how do I dump new tracks onto the website so other riders can use them?

Thanks very much, Matt

PS I downloded the tracks from an ATV website. They are basically all the tracks from an SUV trails series of books. Thanks again.
  16. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    You need to export the Google Earth tracks to GPX files. You can use http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ to do that.

Then you would want to upload those GPX files to dualsportmaps.com. Watch this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WG1s2-nS4Y

Then you can easily load those on your phone by zooming into the area within the app and pressing the search button and any tracks on the screens bounds will be loaded and stored on your phone.

17. ShastaKLR

ShastaKLR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The tracks I have on google earth were downloaded directly from a website. How do I export them to gpsvisualizer? I don't have them as a file?

Thanks,Matt
  18. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input?convert_format=gpx

click the choose file box and select eh KML or KMZ file. Save the output as "something.gpx"
  19. ShastaKLR

ShastaKLR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to bug you again...my problem is that when I click on choose file to locate my google earth tracks iI cannot locaterecognize the tracksmovie or linka to ge. Since I didn't create the tracks I don't have a file in my documents etc...I guess I need to find a way to have the tracks recognized by visualizer. Thanks again, mattñ
  20. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    You can export a Google Earth folder that contains tracks by right clicking on it and then use that file to with link I sent you. The nice thing is once you have this figured out once, you will never have to go through this pain again...