The official XT225 thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wickerman777, Nov 4, 2006.

1. greasespot

greasespot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okay, so there are a million models of bikes. Has anyone figured out what other bike-model saddlebag frames also fit our XT225s?

TIA,

Greasespot
  2. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the PM’s regarding the manuals. I ended up buying the electronic version of the factory manual and supplements from green manuals on eBay. It includes the owner’s manual and everything is printable and cost only $7something which is pretty close to free. They send a CD but you can also download it from their site which I did. I guess I’ll just print pages as I need them so it will be OK but I sort of miss just flipping through pages and tossing a book on a chair.
  3. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

Don't worry, you probably won't need it for much more than checking the valve clearance & the spark plug model number. That's all I've used mine for so far. :thumb
  4. operaflute

operaflute Starving Artist

Oddometer:
    I have Ranger Dirt-Bagz/rack and am very happy with them. Not too terribly pricey, either. The XT225 is on their drop down list of models on the order page. Not sure if that answers your question, or if you are specifically looking for a rack designed for a different model that also fits the XT.
  5. maverick1

maverick1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I picked up a used XT 225 today, a 2001 model and now I have a few questions.
    First, I'd like to change the engine oil and filter, and read that these bike takes 10-w40. Can I use full synthetic10-w40?
    When doing an oil change do I need to get new gaskets for the oil filter and a new drain plug crush washer, or can they be reused?
    Also thinking about changing the brake fluid, anyone know what type is needed/procedure?

I plan on doing mostly off road rides, can someone let me know what tools I need to carry with me so I don't get stuck on the trail?
    I'll start...spare spark plug and spark plug wrench....
    Looking forward to hitting the trails.
    cheers
  6. woofer2609

woofer2609 Less flow, more Gnar

Oddometer:
    10w 40 full synthetic should be fine, I'm pretty sure there isn't a crush washer on the drain plug, I've always just tightened to spec ( 7.1ft/lb's IIRC) and never had an issue. Just check the condition of the o-ring on both the drain plug and oil filter cover New o-rings are usually not needed, there are no gaskets. Both DOT 3 or 4 are fine for brakes.
    [​IMG]
    I carry this in the black cordura multi pocketed tool kit:
    10mm x 1/4" socket
    12, 13,14, 15, 18mm x 3/8" sockets
    5 and 6mm Allen bolt sockets
    Full set of 1.5-10mm Allen Wrenches
    Multi tool/knife
    Multi bit screwdriver
    Zip ties
    Duct tape on 18mm socket
    Lock nut/spoke wrench
    8-10mm open ended wrench
    Crescent wrench
    Various cotter and widgeon pins
    missing chain link
    spark plug wrench
    spare key
    elbow socket
    4" extension bar
    double headed short handle 3/8" and 1/4" ratchet
    Box of spare allen and hex bolts
    hose clamps
    ear plugs
    registration
    inner tube patch kit

In another tool tube I carry:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 tire irons
    2 motion pro tire spoons
    zip ties
    clutch lever
    brake lever
    aluminum spray tube of Windex
    bicycle air pump (not pictured, but in tool tube)

Above the headlight on the cowling I have mounted a small bag that carries two replacement tubes and a tire gauge.
    [​IMG]
    I have never been at a loss for tools.
  7. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    Make sure it's motorcycle oil unless you want to kill your clutch plates.
  8. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    Going on a round the world trip? :evil
    How much of that stuff did you ever have to use?
  9. Crazy Canadian

Crazy Canadian All who wander r not lost

Oddometer:
    :eek1 I feel very unprepared now... I carry 1/8 of that tool list...
  10. maverick1

maverick1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for that. Looks like I need to buy lots of tools and a rack for the back to hold them.

I'm also a Canadian in Socal, from the Toronto area. Could not handle the winter cold any longer.
    I picked up the oil, new oil filter and the necessary o-rings.
    I noticed that the oil filter is a new type to me, it's made of a metal mesh rather than paper.
    I read that some people re-use their old oil filters.
    What is the best way to clean the used oil filters. I've read that some use varsol, or gasoline, some use wd-40. What about using brake cleaner to clean the old oil filters?
    The bike is used and the seller did not have a copy of the owners manual.
    Is there any where online that I can download the owners manual?
  11. Crazy Canadian

Oddometer:
    You following me?

I am from Toronto as well... I must warn you I have a no stalking policy... Unless you are a hot chick! So are you from actual Toronto or just say Toronto because no one has heard of anything else around there? Met a girl last week from North Bay who says Toronto because no one knows where North Bay is...

Anyhow we do not live too far apart and should get together for some brews and riding... Maybe riding then brews to be safe!
  12. maverick1

maverick1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Technically "Mississauga" but who knows Mississauga, unless you're a native Indian.
    Regarding riding, my philosophy is the more the merrier.
    cheers
  13. Crazy Canadian

Oddometer:
    My little brother and his wife live out that direction... I couldn't take the cold or I would move back. I miss Toronto because so other city can really compete with the overall package there if you exclude weather...
  14. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:

Here is the link for the free Yamaha owner's manual download, not printable if that matters to you. You can buy printable electronic versions on Ebay and probably from other sellers.

On a seperate note - I got my Shinko 244s, 4.6x18 for rear and 2.75x21 for front. The 4.6 looks significantly wider than the stock 120/80 (at least unmounted). It looks more like the width of the 110/90 on my DR350, this tire size thing is a bit confusing. Anyone think the Shinko 4.10 would be better on the XT, I need a new rear for my DR so I might use the 4.6 on that bike but I see some think 5.1 is better for the DR. I probably will be OK with the 4.6 on the XT but don't wan't too detract from performance on the little 225, jam mud between the tire and swingarm or bog down the handling with a too big tire.
  15. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

I recently mounted a Shinko 244 on the rear and am pretty sure that it's a 4.60. It fits fine and is a great tire. (I'll double check when I head up to my shop & make certain it's a 4.60) The little XT225 makes most tires look big, but it fits fine.
  16. kewlbyme

kewlbyme Occasional Partaker

Oddometer:
    I have a 4.6 on my 2003. The 244 fits fine and hooks up better than most 50/50 tires I have tried. It seems to clean itself pretty well and I have had no restrictive build up. I guess really sticky mud would be an issue as it would for any other tire but I have had no problem like that with the 4.6 244, so far. My 2001 has.....something else on it and doesnt do nearly as well. I take the 2003 with the 244's if I am going into the woods.

Mounted with 244's, with 4.6 on the rear and 2.75 on the front.

[​IMG]
  17. Trander

Trander PORTLY ADVENTURER

Oddometer:
    My XT225 has a Shinko 244/4.10 on it and it is much to small. I'm changing to a 4.60. My DR650 has a Shinko 244/5.10 on it and it looks and works great.
  18. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for the great info.
  19. KamperBob

KamperBob Recreation Engineer

Oddometer:
    Me for one. I worked 13 years for Caterpillar who had a factory in Mississauga. (Brampton too if I'm not mistaken.) The town name stuck is my brain. I'm a Heinz 57 mutt with possibly a small fraction of Indian blood; the family genealogist has no proof.

Back on topic. Ya both have good taste in bikes. A wee bit longer riding season in SoCal eh?
  20. Maliwal

Maliwal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you could say that. Maybe just ever so slightly, I say as I look out at perfect weather over the LA valley. :rofl