Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jul 9, 2008.

?

Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?

1. YES it should be made legal

2. YES but ONLY on the Hwy

3. YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections

4. NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Today, there was a nasty 1.5km backup of traffic moving not even 5kph. What could have taken me a solid half hour to get through took less than five minutes.
  2. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seeing that it was 1.5km, I guess this was Dusseldorf and not Detroit? Would you have lanesplit in the same backup in Detroit?
  3. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Filtered half a mile on a poorly thought out three-lane exit ramp from the interstate to downtown Mpls. there is a traffic light at the bottom, two major roads, one of which is a tunnel bypass for hazardous vehicles off the interstate.

Took me a minute. Cars were dead stopped. I moseyed back into a lane four cars short of the intersection so any LEOs wouldn't know how I got there. Moto traffic bliss. :ricky

I only filter in very backed up, stopped, lengthy situations like this. I'd love to do it all the time but the risk/reward just isn't there. If only it were legal, and accepted. :sigh
  4. atomicalex

Oddometer:
    The same backup in Detroit would be like getting off of the Southfield going northbound, so YES.

It was really filtering - cars were barely moving. I admit that real, high-speed splitting scares the pants off me. Filtering, however, does not. I do support both, though.

Filtering is one of those reasons to commute on a bike. It just makes everyone's life easier.
  5. monkeythumpa

monkeythumpa When I go slow, I go fast

Oddometer:
    I split whenever I am in Nevada, Arizona, or Utah. It seems like I am the only one. Nobody is looking behind them, and I am well past before they notice. They must approve, because they honk and yell to let others in front know I am coming. Thanks guys!

By the way guys, I started the Wikipedia entry on lane sharing. Feel free to contribute! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_splitting
  6. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    Well, I have been seeing on the news that traffic is absolutely horrible in the northeast due to a lack of mass transit after Sandy. You guys that live in the NYC and NJ areas that commute by bike, I know some of you are going to start filtering. Do it safely please, and show people that it is a safe and viable option for transit (just like in London). Don't make us all look like hooligans any more than we are already stereotyped.

And as Dakez would say, have Fun! :freaky
  7. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought traffic was already bad in NYC, and that being on a good day, before the storm.
  8. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    This video just came out today. It's not scientific, but a good discussion from guys with different upbringings in the mot world.

I'm originally from PA, and I realize how anti we all were, but that's probably more just due to having been raised in an area that it was illegal.

Up in Toronto it took my buddies and I some time to catch on to what was happening around us, but it worked on the times we got the hint from the motorcyclists going around us.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JNGD9AAIfFU?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
  9. daveinva

daveinva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Every time I heard Wes talk I imagined it was your voice. :1drink
  10. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. atomicalex

Oddometer:
    With regard to the "traffic opening up for you like magic", of course it does. When sitting in a car, you observe the accordion effect, when traffic bunches up, then opens up, then repeats. This is due to people speeding up and slowing down, rather than just rolling at a slower pace. It just happens. When you are splitting, you tend to be between lanes through the bunched up sections, and in the open and moving sections when they appear. You don't notice the accordion effect nearly as much because you are able to defeat it by splitting or filtering.

FSMdamn, is it good!
  12. Import

Import Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jeezzzz, everyone in Europe does it all the time!!!!!!! One great advantage of riding a motorcycle, is getting to the front of stationary traffic..... Canadian and USA laws are in some respect out dated. Safety first always , but it is possible to do it carefully.....
    Import
  13. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb

PhilB
  14. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Traffic in north Jersey and NYC is ALWAYS shit. To the point that if I'm going to the city I just take a train into Philly and then take the express line. The tickets are about the same price as all of the damn tolls from an hour south of Trenton, AND I can bring booze.

Either way, I have a good friend that works for NJDOT and is a rider, they aren't going to allow us to split in Jerzystan any time soon.
  15. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. go2cnavy

go2cnavy Dont Worry Be Brappy

Oddometer:
    It should not be legal nor illegal - like California. Leave it up to the discretion of an observing police officer to whether or not your lane splitting was putting other's lives in danger. I lane split - even in RI. However, there are times when I do not because it is not safe - not because it is illegal.
  17. Voluhzia

Voluhzia iExplorer

Oddometer:
    It's not illegal until you're caught... :)

Facebook
    Nova Scotia on Explorer
  18. vaara

vaara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    As mentioned before, I'm from the UK, have always done it and in fact, was trained to. I even needed to do it, in order to get to the test centre in time for my motorcycle test, due to a traffic jam we encountered on the way there! To me, it seems hilarious that any motorcyclist of any sort of reasonable level of competence would be against legally being able to choose to do it, when conditions permit doing it safely.

This video pretty much demonstrates my own attitude/approach to filtering, when in a large city like London, where filtering is commonplace.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nJy10pBhJCw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was riding there, not ATGATT (as I was only riding 2 miles), in below freezing conditions earlier this week. I was still filtering, albeit more cautiously than normal.

To those who don't do it and think it shouldn't be legal: I think the single greatest factor is your fear based on your perception (put bluntly; your uninformed opinion) of the risk associated with doing it.
  20. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

Most here have never even seen it, much less attempted it.

Even then, comparing California to Pusan, Soel, Manilla, Tokyo, London, Paris, Rome etc etc makes the ONE state where we can get away with it look like child's play.

Remember the vast majority of US citizens never leave our borders, much less our hemisphere