Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. BigOhio

BigOhio Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, I can just image that and the Rukus coming down the street together! Sorry, just couldn't help myself.
  2. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    Anybody run into Harley Tim & Toby? I was supposed to go yesterday but was working in Mt Gilead. Too late by the time I was done.:ear
  3. mic_detonator

mic_detonator ride

Oddometer:
    vmd was great! Rain rattled on through the day causing red flags. Hopefully next year will be sunny and not soo sticky hot. Saw a lot of really cool bikes, makes me want soo badly to get my elsinore running again.
  4. vanaman

vanaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it was fun.

wish i could have a found a new toy. all the stuff i was interested in was too much and what i could afford looked like they drugg it out of the field the day before.
  5. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Saw lots of adv bikes headed down rt.23 north of Waverly this AM. Anyone on here? By the way, mic_, what kind of Elsinore do you have?
  6. BuffWv

BuffWv Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. mic_detonator

mic_detonator ride

Oddometer:
    1980 cr80 still in good shape someone took the engine while torn down at a shop. i have alsmost got two baskets made into 1 at this point i need someone to work on it for about 2-3 hr.
  8. Just GO!

Just GO! I wish I were good at something.

Oddometer:
    Out for a short ride with a fellow inmate yesterday. Heading south on SR821 just north of Ava it started raining like a muther. Hard wind and serious lightning accompanied a near sidways rain so we headed for the only shelter we could find...........a freekin' metal framed carport of sorts with a metal roof.........:lol3

[​IMG]

Better to be under here than out there riding........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After about a half hour the owner came out and invited us into his garage. He said he heard us pull in but didn't come out sooner because it was raining so hard. We stayed there for another half hour or so till the storm lightened up enough for us to continue riding. A few miles later we came to a small river flooding the road......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't been that soaked riding for a long time. Jamie was making a fist and squeezing water from his gloves an hour after the rain had stopped. :lol3

A fine days riding. :thumb
  9. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    awesome pics!
  10. Sparkster

Sparkster Live seriously.

Oddometer:
    Love that last pic :clap
  11. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Debra and I got pounded by mama Nature this evening on the way back from some back roads in Eastern Ohio. Stopped in Dresden for some BBQ and saw the TV showing a giant, red, angry cell of crap bearing down on us. We headed north to try to avoid it but it got us anyway. Man, haven't ridden in a harder rain or wind in a long time, it was blowing up under my helmet, soaking the inside of my visor. Visibility was terrible, but it felt good after the heat. Lightning was everywhere, really wicked storm.

Great riding, fun day, up till then.

:lol3

Did have to laugh when we pulled in to the Depot, some Harley folks were getting off their bikes as we pulled in beside them. We took off our helmets, and this guy and girl standing there by their bikes asked us how we rode in all that gear (we both had mesh jackets and pants). We said it wasn't hot when we're moving. They're standing there telling us they don't know how we do it, and they're both sweaty and look like the sun has beat the shit out of them....we're taking our jackets off and we're not sweaty.

I'd wager that neither one of them noticed this irony.

Oh, and we saw two inmates on KLR's out in Cambridge and waved, didn't recognize either one....Green newer style with Happy Trails boxes and an all black pre-07 KLR with a Supertrapp exhaust. Both were sporting ADV stickers.
  12. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

M'lady and I were out yesterday on the Magnas and got caught in the downpour about 5ish...pulled into the gas station in Laurelville to wait it out. We were geared up, of course, so slightly damp but nothing major. When we pulled in, there was a couple on a big V-star (I think) almost completely without gear (she had a helmet) who were also waiting it out...they were headed to the Dayton area. We were chatting with them when 3 Harleys (2 guys and a girl) pulled in utterly soaked...no gear at all (not even gloves) and joined us in the fun. After 30 mins of sideways rain, the storm eased up and the Dayton couple and me and m'lady headed out...The Harleys were still inside trying to dry off

Caught a few more drops the last couple miles into Lancaster...no biggie...we've ridden in worse

the best part...the girl on the Harley was...um...well endowed and wearing a white t-shirt...I tried not to notice, but the drool may have given me away :lol3
  13. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:

:clap I love stories with happy endings.
  14. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    What a day. We had planned to do a ride and swim. We started out scouting some new trails and confirming more old ones still exist and are passable. Our first stop was an old favorite, Albright rd. The Amish people who buildt the house at the start of the trail used to allow people to go passed their home in the creek to the unmaintained road. That no longer appears to be the case as he has a bobcat loader and has put a gate acrossed the road on the far side of his yard. :huh But we did locate some fun stuff and some places we had to double back because it was either too slimy due to rain or the trails just lead no where. Then on our way to go swim, of course Luke gets a flat on the KLR. Our first thought was I had spun the tire like I did the week before on the KTM. :cry
    But the third flat turned out to be....
    [​IMG]
    Where I picked it up at I have no clue but thanks to John and two patches.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We were still able to head over to Pine lake for a fast dip.
    I have to say, when you get friends like these you invite them on every ride you do because there is nothing like a personal mechanic to assist in getting you on the road again. :lol3
    [​IMG]

On another note we seemed able to miss every bit of the rain while we were on the bikes. I fear John and Becky might have gotten another bath on the way home.
  15. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
  16. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Is that the trail with the long, rocky hill on it and the Amish place at the bottom? That sucks if so, one of the funnest roads/trails down in that area.

In Licking Co. we've lost access to 3 of the best little trail areas that were open for years and years recently, gates and signs on all of them.

Dual sporting is getting less and less "dual".
  17. ohioroadrat

ohioroadrat It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer:
    Luke...Albright Road is still useable.The part that you are talking about was really a temperary right of way on that land. The real road goes a follows...when you reach the creek,turn left in the creek,go appx. 75yards and turn right out of the creek and the road will take you to the other side of the gate. This is the course of the original road and is still OK to use.Ride slow as to not bother the new land owner but that is a road(not the part that we used to use,that is his now)
  18. QUICKDRAW

QUICKDRAW Bug Murderer

Oddometer:
    Sounds right. You turn left off of 327 from Tar Hallow State Park onto a gravel road that crosses a small creek. You used to follow that gravel road less than a mile then veer off to the right as the gravel turned to the left. The trail was nicely rutted and rocky, and took you to the top of a hill to several trail system options.

The last time I was there, the Amish dad and his two sons came out as we were latching back up their fence (once we went through it). We spoke to him about this actually being a road, to which he pointed to the creek. OK... we'll ride the creek around the fence next time! Sounds like he got aggressive with the fencing since then.

-S
  19. ohioroadrat

ohioroadrat It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer:
    Yea,I told him all he need to do was to put a small sign at the creek but looks like he didn`t....must be an Amish thing.
  20. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    You all are talking about the same place. Lord knows how many times we've stopped and talked with them about right of way and what we can do to make sure the access stayed open. We were going to try riding the trail from the other direction to make sure we weren't missing a go around path but after the nail in my tire we didn't have time. I came out of the creek bed due to gravel that had been piled along it, either by Bobcat or by storm water run off, but was still not passed the fence.
    I'll try coming at it from the other side next time I'm down there. But it did seem odd for an Amish house to have a buggy and a Bobcat loader parked there. :rolleyes