indain scooter

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by fullmetalscooter, Mar 1, 2013.

1. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    indain scooter the guy wants 18 grand for. maybe I just don't know crap which happens far to often but You could at least find a real Indian basket case for that maybe. Find one of the Indian royal infields etc. 18 grand buys allot of scooters. As I said you have to be nuts:eek1 to spend that much on a scooter.
    http://www.cycleclassifieds.us/i/69466/i.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about editing your post so that there is a space between each of the photos so they will wrap instead forcing a huge horizontal scroll to view them?

Thanks
  3. Brooktown Geezer

Brooktown Geezer scooter guy

Oddometer:
    Be nice, Cheryl.

;^)
  4. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    How about a spell check too so I know it's Indian...
  5. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    The most I ever paid for a scooter was $800, so when some folks talk about brand new Burgman or BMW scooters, I just wonder. But, it's money. Money and children do not come with instructions. Someone wants this Indian, fine with me.
  6. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    Gee how about not being the spelling police . SO ONCE AGAIN FOR EVERYONE WHOM I feel IS TROLLING . : Take the same blow to the head I ve got , with the same damage and Do better at the witting then I m , and I ll give you a case of beer. Note you might also end up the wanting to kill yourself after due to the effect of brain damage, depression etc. Oh the head ach never will go away ether if you end up with what I ve got. After you walk in my shoes they feel free to be the spelling police. Many people have reason for writing badly. Soon can't type. Some have learning disabilities etc. Strange how the internet free us to say things we wouldn't in person. :fyyff IF this was the free for all of inmate part of adv I would say not word . what bother me most when this happens its not the noobs adv saying something , its long term adv inmates. Twice in different post of mine I run across it. . I m breaking the rules by feeding the trolls but some times if you do that they ll go back to hiding under the bridge and leave those pass top side alone for awhile.

Now back to the fact someone wants 18 grand for a scooter and that is unreal to me. Do you ride an 18 grand scooter or Put in you house and worship it ?
  7. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I teach website design. Many people don't realize that it takes a space between images or words to prevent an image or sentence from making a page extremely wide. I was polite about it and I appreciate that the OP added the space so it is much easier to appreciate the images.

Besides I agree with him about the price but I suppose it is worth it to a collector.
  8. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    YEs your were , it's was just a combination of things . Thanks for the info.
    about picutures. The thing about colleting stuff there s always a point that it just becomes like something you worship and never see the light of day again. Whats the point of owning something if you can't get a kick out of using it and having others use it? Wheels of times museum is the exception to the rule of collections. One that gets use . I really dought that the Trev D collectionin Vancouver BC ever gets started up for the really rare bikes and used. At least not since Trev D passed on.
  9. MiniBike

MiniBike Still here...

Oddometer:
  10. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    First of all, no "real" Indians have been sold since 1953. That appears to be one of Floyd Clymers "fake" Indians. He had the Indian name put on everything from scooters, to dirt bikes, to mini bikes, to Royal Enfields, and sold them as Indians. Clymer was something of a huckster. His "Indians" had nothing whatsoever to do with the original Indian Motorcycle Company, and would be worthless to me. Back in the early '80s, an Asian company made Indian mopeds (actual pedal mopeds) that had 4 stroke engines. They did not sell well, because they were so slow. Back then the Indian name meant nothing. I still see people trying to sell those mopeds for ridiculous prices, because they mistakenly think they are worth something because of the name. Even moped enthusiasts (mopedarmy.com) don't want them. For a while I had an '04 Rebel 250 badged as an Indian.

BTW, Floyd Clymer died on January 22, 1970, of a massive heat attack, while sitting at his desk signing some bogus paperwork. He was also a publisher, and today's Clymer manuals still bear his name.
  11. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ummm......no. If you read the ad in the link, you would see that this is a 1949 Indian scooter. And yes, Indian did build a few scooters after WWII.

Its worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I wouldn't pay that much for it, but I don't want an old Indian. There was an Indian listed on CL in KC (I think it was KC) a couple of weeks ago. It was a runner and looked nice in the pics, but not a concours or anything like it. They were asking $14,0000. I don't recall the model, 741? does that sound right? I thought it might be a fair price, but don't know much about the fair value of vintage,"real" Indians.
  12. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Ok, I checked the ad and did some research, and I can see it is real. Should have checked first. I admit I don't know much about Indians, and never knew they made scooters. It is not a brand I have any real interest in, partly because all the recent attempts to "revive" Indian have, IMO, made a mockery of the name. Again IMO, some things should just be left alone, and Indian is one of them.

I do own a totally restored 1967 VeloSolex S3800 cyclomoteur, A French made moped/motorized bicycle, which I cannot even ride, as it has a load capacity of 160 pounds. I destroyed one very expensive rear wheel before I found that out. Nobody seems to have a clue what that is either. It was France's version of the Italian Vespa. Cheap transportation for the masses.
  13. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I own a Honda Gyro, and I can ride it, but it also has a weight limit of 165 or so, and I haven't weighed that for quite some time. So, I understand collecting something that you can't or won't use. My father was a lifelong stamp collector, and he only wanted used stamps. So, he couldn't use what he collected for anything, except the joy of collecting.

You got the money, you want the Indian scooter, fine. Not me.
  14. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of anything you want (so long as its legal) despite what others think.
  15. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    IF remember the store back around 1920 or so someone used a rare stamp by accident and mailed it. today that s stamp worth millions. They could never trace down whom they mailed it to. .
    Ummm......no. If you read the ad in the link, you would see that this is a 1949 Indian scooter. And yes, Indian did build a few scooters after WWII.

Quote : Its worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I wouldn't pay that much for it, but I don't want an old Indian. There was an Indian listed on CL in KC (I think it was KC) a couple of weeks ago. It was a runner and looked nice in the pics, but not a concours or anything like it. They were asking $14,0000. I don't recall the model, 741? does that sound right? I thought it might be a fair price, but don't know much about the fair value of vintage,"real" Indians. "

14 000 grand an good deal I think for an Indian like that.
  16. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    No they aren't "France's version of the Italian Vespa." they were an entirely unique Motor Bicycle that was designed to get the French worker to and from his job/farm/office cheaply, just like the early Citroen 2CV automobile was. For one thing the rear wheel of the Solex is unsuspended, and secondly, there were only 28 spokes in the wheel. But it was built with stout rims and spokes, so it would have taken a awful big hit to have destroyed the wheel of this bike.
  17. JerryH

Oddometer:
    They are certainly not a "copy" of the Vespa, but they were built for the same purpose, to get people around as cheaply as possible. I am a member of Solex Owners of America, on Yahoo Groups. I located my Solex with the help of Brian Colter, one of the worlds foremost experts on the Solex. He was also invaluable in helping me restore it.

I have no idea what happened to the rear wheel, other than it was simply overloaded. I did not hit anything, I was just cruising down the road when spokes started breaking. Normally it would be fairly easy to simply have a really tough mountain bike wheel built for it and solve the problem. But the Solex uses 23" wheels, so there are no rims that will fit. It also has a drum rear brake, and as I found out, the hub is also made of really soft metal, and before my spokes started breaking, they had elongated the holed in the rear hub. I have ridden a few really cheap Chinese made Walmart bikes, and never had that happen, so I have no idea what the cause was.

Many people do not know that the Yamaha Vino 50cc and C3 also have ridiculously low rated weight carrying capacities. I bought a 2007 Honda Met without even giving any thought to the load capacity. It turned out to be 270 pounds, which seems about right for such a small scooter. Then I found that the Vino 50 had a weight capacity of only 170 pounds, and the C3 wasn't much better at 190 pounds. The Piaggio Fly 50 has a load capacity of 400 pounds.
  18. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    That Indian scooter is rare and neato. I wouldn't pay that for it, unless I had so much money that it didn't matter, but that's me. I do think that a big part of the value is just the name, and that many collectors of Indians have a lot of money (a good late Chief can fetch $40K these days).

Technologically, it looks a lot like its contemporaries such as the Cushman; primitive and unsophisticated compared to the European scooters. But a cool collectors find.

PhilB
  19. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Looks it has. And character, IMO. I just love those old American scooters like Cushman, Salsbury, Harley Topper, and now Indian.
  20. klx250sfguy

klx250sfguy Long timer

Oddometer: