The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Robbo60

Robbo60 Looking 4 Adventure

Oddometer:
    My ST ran dry coming into Cowes last month and it took 22.5 litres to the brim. The bike hiccuped about 2 kays out, .....:wink:
  2. Big Mistake onWheels

Big Mistake onWheels Banned

Oddometer:
    To each his own ,but I had Jesses on my 1200GS. In deep sand in Utah, my leg got dragged under the Jesses & got busted(the leg). Nother time working my way thru mud in the desert,bike slipped over pinning my leg under that Jesse. Had a HELL of a time gettin free. If you're like me & fall over a lot, maybe look at fallover bags--SOFT ones. That's what I'm putting on the Tenere. Know of any good ones? Thanks.
  3. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Meanwhile in Mexico ......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ride on!

Matteo<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  4. drbig

drbig Solo Sailor

Oddometer:
    A few months ago I recieved a letter from our local dealer here regarding the top case mount problem and the recall. It also said that they have asked for feedback about the bike from all the buyers and that all were very happy with the bike but all commented about the "First Edition" paniers and top box poor quality. The local dealer that is also the Givi importer decieded to give and attach every XT1200Z a free of charge set ( top box and paniers) of the new Givi adventure cases ( http://www.givi.it/Side-hardbags/Monokey-/TRK33N-TREKKER). Yesterday I went in to the local dealers shop and came out with the new set all attached.
    What a bloody change !:clap
    I am for one a very happy customer and give my dealer a big thumbs up.
  5. Goldie05

Goldie05 Fast George

Oddometer:
    Where's the pictures?? :wink::D
  6. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean - pretty much the same story with any hard bags though? At least the Jesses are cut back to make it less likely that you'll run over yourself, and less painful when you do. One of my main complaints with my Happy Trails bags is the sharp vertical corner at the front. (they are making S10 bags BTW).

Soft bags are good but I plan on having the S10 take me to a lot of places where I'd be worried about security, so not really an option for me.
  7. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    For all you soft bag manufacturers out there..

In New South Wales Australia, the trains have seats in them that are covered with a cloth, you cannot cut with a knife. It has steel woven into it or something. It's not that comfortable to sit on but it would make a killer soft bag.

Maybe Draggin can do some bags with Kevlar (or that new fangles stuff) as part of the weave.

Ok, now I've done all the hard work, get to it. :D
  8. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's good, at least you get a warning. My Strom just decides that's it and you stop.
  9. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey you're an Ausy, use fencing wire.
    What have this younger generation come to eh sonny?
  10. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    At last the Super TeneRRRe. They're On a bit of a roll with these specials lately.

Cheers
    Graham
  11. ~TABASCO~

~TABASCO~ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ready for more of the TENERE-RR parts to hit the market.. :pope When are we going to get our hands on those Carbon side covers ? Akrapovic is probably going to offer them one day, but big bucks :cry...........:lol3

I would like to get my hands on a set:y0! :super
  12. Glenn C

Glenn C Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brendan,

I noticed that too when I first got my bike. It was a demonstrator and had 950kms on the clock. I was quite worried at first but it seemed to disappear after a week or two and I don't have the issue anymore. I can't explain it.
  13. Glenn C

Glenn C Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Robbo60,

You have a PM.

Cheers
  14. Glenn C

Glenn C Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Japako,

The risers I use are some cheap generic ones I got from a bike shop just to experiment with. They have several "spacers" so you can adjust the overall lift but I couldn't really get more than 25mm before getting problems with the cables and hoses when at each sterring lock.

Cheers
  15. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    That's good to know, thanks Robbo60!

I'm assuming starting the S10 after running dry, wasn't a problem?
  16. shieldsy

shieldsy you can put lipstick on a pig and it's still a pig

Oddometer:
    Yep I'd have to say they are the biggest disappointment with the bike, the stock Yamaha side cases and top box are pure shite - the locking mechanism is a bastard and very fiddly to get the boxes locked down properly. I wish I would have waited and looked at the rest of the market first.

I wonder if Yamaha Australia will replace the crap luggage they sold down here ?

The other thing I didn't like at all is the calsci screen - barn door look alike and now sitting in my shed gathering dust, I've heard people say function over form but that thing is plain ugly and detracts from the bikes overall looks. I've gone the larger Yamaha screen and the excellent waspworks screen adjusting mechanism. Perfect :-)
  17. Ze_zaskar

Ze_zaskar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Addicional info on the XTZ1200R:
    - + 10hp over the stock one;
    - 220kgs dry;
    -Ohlins suspension.

:evil
  18. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good but I would like to see wet weight instead.

10hp should be doable on a standard bike, as long as it doesn't kill the bottom. They should try for 50hp for a RRR. not 10.

The suspension should be good, but how much better than standard?

I know I might be sounding all negative but it's not a huge difference, except maybe weight.

However if this was really the 2013 model in disguise, that would be different. Good tweaks although I'd personally loose the seat.

Cheers
    Graham
  19. Ze_zaskar

Ze_zaskar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind that this bike will be used in races (unlike the World Crosser), the first of those the Sardegna Rally in May. I can't see the use of a 150hp rally bike, even in the hands of Cantanese
  20. Mugatu

Mugatu Sidewalk adventurer

Oddometer:
    I DID have to push after 60km on reserve once :cry
    That was in very heavy traffic (jam) conditions though...