Signs of the times

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by dduelin, May 1, 2012.

1. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Still far more expensive than a simple electrical hookup. Unless, of course, we tax the schitt out of coal and stop expansion of the grid's capacity.

But if we try to work around the caprices of government ministers...that's a fool's errand; because by definition it IS their whims. They may as well whim something as destructive, such as a prohibitive tax on copper wire.

You misconstru. Cold weather occurs in the North...when the sun is low in the sky; and sunlight is weak as it slants down through more of the atmosphere.

That will cut down on performance.

Now that we've ruled out almost all the northern regions; full-time residences; most offices; ANYPLACE where clean (consistent in voltage) and reliable power is needed...what's left?

Radio repeaters. If, of course, it's not a major problem when they don't work.

Billboard lighting.

Decorative lighting.

...and that's about IT. Good luck selling those things as replacement for all that yukky coal and nuclear-generated electricity.
  2. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    CasseyJones, why do you hide your information sources? Are you making this stuff up as you go along? I'd really like to try to correct the misinformation on whatever site it is that has published this erroneous information.
  3. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    Millions of people in developing countries have light at night from micro solar PV power systems.

From a secret source...... just kidding,,,,, Wikipedia.

Technology advances are opening up a huge new market for solar power: the approximately 1.3 billion people around the world who don't have access to grid electricity. Even though they are typically very poor, these people have to pay far more for lighting than people in rich countries because they use inefficient kerosene lamps. Solar power costs half as much as lighting with kerosene.<sup id="cite_ref-3" class="reference">[4]</sup> An estimated 3 million households get power from small solar PV systems.<sup id="cite_ref-re10_4-0" class="reference">[5]</sup> Kenya is the world leader in the number of solar power systems installed per capita. More than 30,000 very small solar panels, each producing 12 to 30 watts, are sold in Kenya annually.<sup id="cite_ref-5" class="reference">[6]</sup>
  4. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    Anybody can write anything on Wikipedia. If the agenda-driven editors there like it, it stays.
  5. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    What, I gotta PROVE somehow, with a LINK, that the sun is lower in the sky in the WINTER...cutting through more atmosphere for its angle? That THAT is why the season is colder?

I'd give you a source, but I don't remember the title of my Sixth Grade Science textbook. It was published by Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, if that helps you. I remember that much.
  6. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    Sixth grade textbook? Are you in 7th grade now? How many years has it been since you left 6th grade?

In case you're interested in updating your knowledge of solar energy, that Wikipedia article has some excellent up to date references. This one from Technology Review, an MIT publication is from January of this year.

http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/39544/?p1=MstCom

In fact all these references from the Wikipedia article could shed some light on the state of solar energy today.

1. ^ <sup>a</sup> <sup>b</sup> <sup>c</sup> <sup>d</sup> <sup>e</sup> Energy for Development: The Potential Role of Renewable Energy in Meeting the Millennium Development Goals pp. 7-9.
    2. ^ <sup>a</sup> <sup>b</sup> Power for the People p. 3.
    3. ^ REN21 (2010). Renewables 2010 Global Status Report p. 9.
    4. ^ Kevin Bullis (January 27, 2012). "In the Developing World, Solar Is Cheaper than Fossil Fuels". Technology Review.
    5. ^ <sup>a</sup> <sup>b</sup> REN21 (2010). Renewables 2010 Global Status Report p. 12.
    6. ^ "The Rise of Renewable Energy" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-11-21.
    7. ^ Ashden Awards. "Grameen Shakti installs efficient stoves as well as solar home systems". Retrieved 2008-11-25.
    8. ^ "IAEA BULLETIN, 44/2/2002".
    9. ^ Ashden Awards. "PV-powered vaccine fridges". Retrieved 2008-11-25.
    10. ^ Adaptation Fund
    11. ^ "World Economic and Social Survey 2009 Promoting Development, Saving, 2009, the Planet".
    12. ^ OECD/International Energy Agency : Energy Poverty-How to make modern energy access universal 2010 Update p. 37
    13. ^ REN21 (2009). Renewables Global Status Report: 2009 Update p. 22.
    14. ^ [1] Adoption of the Algerian program of renewable energy and energy conservation policy
    15. ^ [2] Algerian Development Programme for new and renewable energy and energy efficiency
    16. ^ [3] Algerian Development Programme for new and renewable energy and energy efficiency (List of projects)
    17. ^ The Ministry of Energy http://www.energy.go.ke/?page_id=2
    18. ^ http://www.energy.go.ke/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/feed in tarriffs2.pdf
    19. ^ The Rise of Renewable Energy
    20. ^ Latin America Venture Capital Association (13 july 2010). "Latin American Policy Changes: Investing in Renewable Energy, Climate Change and Clean Technology".
    21. ^ Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) (june 2007). "Costa Rica: Setting the Pace for Reducing Global Warming Pollution and Phasing Out oil".

7. Ken OBSC

Ken OBSC -6.12, -7.64

Oddometer:
    I don't think you'll make much headway here. There are several cognitive errors that are aligned in what's being posted.

1. A deep suspicion and contempt for education.
    2. A willingness to believe any position that is critical of the government, science, scientists, or technical studies.
    3. A lack of knowledge of science and a willingness to dismiss anything that doesn't fit preconceived notions as just "junk science", without any knowledge of what might constitute "junk science".
    4. An unwillingness to explore sources beyond the blogs of anonymous ideologues.
    5. A lack of the tools necessary to understand the science behind the data, the implications of the data, the criteria the data must surpass to be considered, willingness to tentatively accept hypotheses while maintaining an attitude of skepticism.

But I admire your grit and perseverance in trying to shed light. :clap

:wink:
  8. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    I think you're right Ken but find it difficult to accept that people like CasseyJones are so stuck in their preconceived ideas that they'll never accept the facts. Willful ignorance affects us all when these people vote.

9. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    How about, an overriding contempt for others; coupled to a blind fealty to a prepackaged ideology which promises moral absolution by simple agreement and abdication to self-styled "experts"?

You mock what you think is my education. What know you of history; the history of totalitarian movements and how they start? You think these people are REALLY worried about the environment, and are going to be satisfied with high-cost gasoline and mandated little cars?

Hear what's going on in Tombstone, Arizona? The government, oh-so concerned about the environment...is cutting off the city's WATER! The water conduits were damaged in a mudslide and Department of the Interior is forbidding repair. Tombstone now has ten percent of the water it needs.

THAT is where this leads...where we're all jammed into high-rise beehive concrete hovels, and made to walk - or ride bicycles. You think these dictator wannabees in government are going to bless you because you use a Vespa instead of a Ford? Hell, no...they don't want you, or any of the Little People, to have free movement.

But you won't listen. Until of course it's too late...
  10. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    What does the water system in Tombstone have to do with solar power? After doing a bit of research on the Toom Town water problem I suspect you get your information from World Net Daily, a far right wing version of the National Enquirer. No wonder you are reluctant to name your source.

11. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    I guess you have a problem with logical progressions.

The same idiots that are claiming we're all gonna die of SUV poisoning, that oil is gonna kill us, are the ones who are SHUTTING OFF Tombstone's water.

They LIE. And they want us living like veal calves. In pens...unable to move freely; unable to make our own choices of how we want to live.

A personal slur would fit here. I'm not putting it in because I don't want a banning.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...ge-denies-tombstone-water-access-lawsuit.html

I suppose the local papers and web pages are lying, too.

Since all the Alphabet Network nooze-readers and the Clinton Nooze Network aren't talking about it...it's either not happening or it's not important. Right?
  12. thumpty dumpty

thumpty dumpty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :dhorse
  13. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    Just show me how your "three gallons of gasoline" is going to keep YOU mobile in a non-renewable fashion over the course of SEVEN years. That's ALL you have to do to prove your argument. So?

Have you locked your gas-cap shut, and filled-in the keyhole, too?
    While at other times its simply just a person is just looking at his feet, and is not prepared to examine anything contrary to their own views. Still, you have many companions in this restricted form of thinking:

Believers in Flat Earth Not About to Change Minds

14. topless

topless Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After 7 pages it's pretty clear that many scooter riders are riding to save the planet rather than for fun. I guess I'm in the minority on that topic, at least in the scooter forum.
    As soon as you greenies find the global thermostat, you can convince me that humans have the ability to control the weather here on Earth.
  15. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    I seriously doubt that ANYONE can convince someone who's convinced he's correct on the subject that city-volumes ("a city of a couple of million people" (your words)) of electricity can not be 'stored' , . . or really kept available for a period subsequent to its generation, . . . because batteries are the ONLY method available, and that there is not enough battery capacity available.

Really? You know of no method to keep a generated capacity for later, other than batteries? No hydro dams in the US? None at all?

Grid energy storage

I would suppose from your direction of thought that you are not convinced that human activity has contributed to the deterioration of the ozone layer, either?

Ozone depletion

You're using emotive and misleading words! i.e." . . . convince me that humans have the ability to control the weather here on Earth."

Whatever is occurring, its clear that humanity is not controlling the weather (i.e. we're not in control, or we might be lessening the damage for less-disasterious effects). Still, its obvious to anyone who can see further than their own feet that human activity is contributing to changes.

Last 50 years were Australia's hottest: study

So maybe YOU live on a different planet but as an Australian citizen I've known (for close to sixty years) that the world I'm living on is called "Earth", and for the greater part of those years that this planet is the one subject to large scale human activity.
  16. MODNROD

MODNROD Pawn of Petty Tyrants

Oddometer:
    Who would have thought such an innocent little giggle sticker would create such a storm.

I'm on night watch and a bit bored, so read the whole thread........shite, that's 10mins of my life I'll never get back! :lol3

I rekn put the original sticker back on man.
  17. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know on that. But I don't give a shit about all that and I ride my scooter because I can and I enjoy it. Yes some ride it cause o that bullshit but its just shit. Screw all this y'all we's gonna run out of gas soon so why is them boys so worried about it?:huh
  18. topless

topless Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a good thing you live down under,cause your head is so far up ur ass you die of exphixiation up here.
    Hydroelectric isn't stored electricity, it's stored energy. Big difference. Once the water is run through the turbine (and fish are killed) and electricity is generated its either used or lost. There is no method known to man to store large amounts of electricity. If there were, we could catch lighting and store it.
    I told you my son has a degree in Enviromental Biology. So, part do what I've learned over my almost 60 years is from him, not some website that is for tree hugging idiots. FYI, freon is heavier than air, so explain how it goes into the upper regions of our atmosphere and depletes ozone, when in fact when leased it falls to the ground?
    There is no question man did some activities that had unforeseen consequences, but I consider it a case of over blown ego to think man can radically change the Earth's Eco-system in the few short years of our industrialization. No doubt we can affect a portion of it, but not the entire planet. The planet has survived a lot of things far beyond our little pile of poop. The last few years we've seen earthquakes massive enough to shift the Earth's rotation. Nothing man has ever done can do that, and it affected the weather more than freon.

Until you can explain a subject without copying and pasting, I'm not wasting anymore time with the likes of you.
  19. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    They're not.

They want OTHERS in a panic. So that we do something stupid; like give the government limitless power to "deal with" the "crisis."

Yes, wise solons like...like a Congresswoman from Marin, CA or a Congressman from M-ass...or dozens of others, who can't even PASS A BUDGET in four years' time...are going to make it all better for us.

Kiss your car goodbye. Kiss your air-conditioning goodbye. And your annual vacation trip. And your savings. And your MONEY...the way the Federal Reserve is printing up dollars out of nothing.

But we gotta do SOMETHING!! We're running out of OIL!!!! :puke1
  20. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:

While it's true we's running out of oil, it ain't no time soon I don't think. Them science boys say we's running out but it'll be quite some time, likely not in our lifetimes.

Also, it ain't like we's gonna just say ok, all them oil is gone! One day, its a very slow, and also they's just gonna increase prices to unafforadble to 90%+ of the population.

And they'll come up with alternatives in the future. Batterys are worthless to me. They can't make a fucking scooter with electricity capable of more than a few hundred miles. And for the price of them with a top speed of 55 MPH I can buy a nice used Sportster.

Also there heavy, and EXPANSIVE to replace!