Chain Link Length

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by notrivia, Mar 29, 2013.

1. 06CCDMAX

06CCDMAX Johnny 2-Stroke

Oddometer:
    :huh When you run out of adjustment or it can be pulled off the sprocket? :eek1

When was the last time you changed the sprockets? Seriously..
  2. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    —Charles Babbage
  3. notrivia

notrivia Banned

Oddometer:
    Every time I change the chain I change the sprockets Max just like the manufacturers conditions. Nothing in any way has been done that is not the normal procedure for the chains. Which prompts the question as to why some ware so quickly and other's haven't. The only clue we have is that my 3rd chain and this most recent were in the middle of the adjustment zone, my first two were at the beginning.
  4. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Notrivia

have you considered it might simply be a mistake in the spec for numbers of links for the stock chair?

or that the spec leaves room to alter your gearing?

my exposure to humans makes be very suspicious of conspiricy theories, as most folks are simply not bright enough to make one work.

Thought this was an April Fools thread, til I saw the date of the first post, btw.

Remove some links and ride.

None of us have enough time to obsess over this . . . . check that . . . you may, but I sure don't.

Enjoy, whatever your decision.
  5. notrivia

notrivia Banned

Oddometer:
    The individual links are just slightly longer than the adjustment marks, making removing a link too tight a chain. I'm not going to take a chance of cracking my crankcase Atomic, as shown in a pic earlier by Boatman. That's why I replaced the old chain, only to be miffed that the new one, a different brand, showed the same "middle-length", unlike the original chain and My 2nd, a Regina,
    which were at the first adjustment mark.

Thankyou for your suggestion.
  6. Dirty in all

Dirty in all Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer:
    I know it adds to the cost of new chains but what Im thinking about doing is buying 4 or 5 master links with my next new chain. Then shortening the chain when newly installed, then as the chain stretches Ill cut out a couple stretched links, add a couple of the previously trimed new links and a master link to reconnect. This way it will always be in the shortest of adjustments and Ill get the full stretch out of my chain. I think the chain will even last longer because the newer links will be starting thier stretch cycle in a delayed sequence. The only extra cost really will be the initial puchase of the extra master links but I can just keep those when buying the next chain and repeat from there. Might even save a few bucks by prolonging wear/stretch.
  7. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Notrivia

I've never heard that the adjustment marks had any relation whatsoever to link length . . . . a quick look in my motor pool says this just isn't the case . . . .

but, hell, man, enjoy yourslef!
  8. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    I'm very surprised to see your cynicism in this most important discussion when it appears you were a victim of a half worn chain problem yourself
  9. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:

While that may very well work it will not solve the issue of the manufacturers selling us a chain with looser tolerances than what they are supposed to be
  10. Dirty in all

Dirty in all Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer:
    OP, is there a chance your bearings are worn both in the wheel and the swing arm pivot? You have ALOT of miles! Making it seem like it is indeed the chain who is at fault? In essence shortening the distance between the sprockets and resulting in the chain seeming to be long???
  11. notrivia

notrivia Banned

Oddometer:
    In the clutch of controversy, when simple facts would seem to elucidate a principal, it is always surprising if not beguileing, that cynicism and derision inhibit the search for a solution. Thankyou for making the case for the seriousness of this issue.

Let us hope my e-mails to EK, Regina, and Suzuki may shed some light on this matter.

It really comes down to a simple matter: who makes an honest chain?
  12. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    Please keep us informed of their response, After todays spirited ride I had to add 5 clicks on my snails and only have about another 10 left
  13. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    :fpalm
  14. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Half worn? The teeth on the contershaft sprocket are hooked... I'd think that chain will be well beyond 5% stretch.

Replacing sections of worn chain with new does nothing for safety nor ware on sprockets... replace the chain - all of it when worn.

---------------

Kenny - when the chain starts to go ..it will go rapidly ... replace your chain (and probably sprockets) NOW. Don't wait.

-----------------------
    If you want to save money ... replace the chain when only part worn - the sprockets will still be good. When that chain is again part worn - put the old chain back on .. and continue cycling the chains... this way you get more miles from your sprockets. Unfortunaly this is too difficult with "end less" chains - master links are the way to go here .. replace the master links every now and then as a safety measure.
  15. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    E] the hooked sprocket would not cause the chain to break. And its pretty simple to understand his chain would not have broken at that time if it wasnt purchased with the pins undersized a few thousands of an inc
  16. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you mean clip-style masters? No way I'd run a clip-style master link on the street.
  17. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    Nonsense I have 3 on my xr and 2on my exc with no problems ever
  18. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    And I've ridden without a helmet before and didn't die, therefore it's not dangerous...
  19. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    The chain that did that damage had less than 5000 miles and was well within spec. My adjusters were no where near the end of adjustment.
  20. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    Just as I thought
    That's proof right there. Did u save it?