New Zumo 340/350 GPS discussion

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Moto Mikey, May 24, 2012.

1. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  2. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Just ran the map and software update on the 350LM that I sold to a friend, but have yet to deliver. Interestingly, part of it was adding the Tracks app.

I wonder what this means in actual use?
  3. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I believe that Garmin updated the zumo3xx series to support the same Tracks App as is found on the NAV5 but I have not heard confirmation of the details for the zumo 3xx implementation. On the NAV5, you can Import up to 200 Tracks to the Tracks App and each of those tracks can have up to 15,000 points. You can have up to 15 of your tracks showing on the Map concurrently. And, if you want to actively navigate a Track you can convert it to a Trip without changing the original path.

If you are navigating a converted Track you will want to set Recalculation to Off. This will avoid you having to stop the route and restart it should the NAV5 recalculate it. Recalculating it will screw up the route for sure if the route travels overland (no road on map).
  4. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    So, in theory, does this mean that one can push a track to the unit and then cause it to display on the screen? If so, that is a huge improvement.
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    If it doesn't do that they didn't port the main function of Tracks.
  6. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    I just want to hear someone say they actually saw it work. :lol3

I bugged them about adding this to the 350 SO many times, but I want to be cautious about believing that they really did add it. :baldy
  7. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Pretty easy to check if you still have the zumo. Just connect it and send a Track or two (hundred) to the device. When you reboot the zumo you go to the Tracks App and Import.

Here's a 15K point Track to play with...

Attached Files:

8. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but am in the office today, so can't really do much except post here. :evil

After updating the unit, I packed it back up into the various bags and all into the original box with all the mounts, cords, etc., so it will be nice for the guy who bought it. I will probably just leave it alone unless I can't stand not knowing. :1drink
  9. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Maybe some solace in that others will be checking it out for you...

I can't really imagine that the zumo team would port something less than is used on the NAV5. I think they [the zumo team] are on a path to raise the functional baseline for their brand.

Looking forward to seeing what comes next from them.
  10. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    :clap (if true)
  11. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    A guy on the zumo forums said he just tried it and it works, will navigate, etc.
  12. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is great news as my 550 is starting to get tired. Anybody have a peanut/screenshot?
  13. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Another friend of mind is considering a 350, mostly on price. Mine is long gone, so I cannot check this functionality to answer my own question. Plus, maybe they have been updated since I had mine.

Here's the question: You are out navigating a route that you have painstakingly built at home, so it has a fair number of via or way points in it (as opposed to just picking a destination and saying Go). You stop navigation for whatever reason, exiting out of following the route. When you start navigation and want to follow that same route again, what happens? Does it automatically point you to the nearest via/way point in the route, or does it just give you a list of points and ask you to pick one, or dies it give you a way to browse them on the map to pick the next one?
  14. Integralle

Integralle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi folks, a (good) friend gave me away a 340LM.

Seems 350 has an update with a track manager and now you can follow a track with no problem but once I have updated my 340, this option seems not available.

I think there is no option to follow a track, just covert it in route and turn off auto re-route, right?

Other option? perhaps convert tracks from .gpx to .img as if the track were a map?