Thoughts on High-End Aux Lights LEDs

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Dorito, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    I've been running a set of PIAA 1100x aux lights. Honestly, of all the bad things that I've done to that F798GS, I've only needed to replace one bulb.

Background on the quandary
    So why the "high-end" requirement? I am apparently the kind of person that has accepted the fact I can break anything. I started the quest for new lights a few weeks back, and while it's been honest feedback I won't put up with LEDs that are fogging, LEDS that are wired in series, LEDs modules that need to be replaced more than my underwear.

Why replace my "nirvana". Ironically, I've fallen in love with the lights. However, I am bit amperage limited and the PIAAs are pulling down 110Watts. Between the GPS, the heated jacket and gloves, and the PIAAs it just too much current draw.

Other Material solutions:
    Most might say the easy solution is to just decide what I want to run and turn something off. I borrowed a page from the US play book, and I refuse to negotiate with those things holding me hostage (e.g. lack of available amperage).

The top contenders

1. PIAA 1100xLED
      24W
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      $400

Pros: Probably the easiest install of the three, as I can reuse the brackets. I like the current look/form factor. And I have yet to bust them off in a fall. Symmetrical pattern.
      Cons: The backwards installation of the LEDs (reflector facing technology) seems unique, and maybe a good reason they do it? Somewhat hard to source, going out of business?
    2. BMW Take Off (Police)
      45W/3.5A
      [​IMG]
      Pros: Given required user, probably a decent light
      Cons: Not a lot of reports on them; Looks goofy
      $395
    3. Clearwater Glenda
      24W
      1400 Lumens
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

Pros: Close form factor to PIAAs, reportedly indestructible, Usa made
      $500

The question:
    Any thoughts/comments that would clearly make or break any of the above? Other high-end lights that would be in this same ball park?
  2. Okie Preacher

Okie Preacher Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. 2MnB

2MnB Missing

Oddometer:
  4. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the D2 suggestion! It something more to consider. I don't think I am up for the full faring replacement option yet.

4. Rigid D2 Driving
    28W
    2600 lumens
    [​IMG]
    $360
  5. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Are you going for conspicuity or do you need to throw some light downrange?

I have a set of Clearwater Glendas on my sidecar that make my hack (and dog) extremely visible, but they do little or nothing to illuminate the road. They are sort of like MotoLights in that regard.

OTOH I put Clearwater Kristas on the bike and holy cow are they bright! I keep them dialed back to the minimum setting for conspicuity and when I hit the high beam they (and the Glendas which are wired to one controller) go to full power. At full, the Kristas shine like small suns and I'm able to spot deer WAY off in the distance.

Pete
  6. 2MnB

2MnB Missing

Oddometer:
    Sorry my bad , I'm running the Dually.
    [​IMG]
    Found em on amazon for 175$ shipped.
    Also I'm running floods, wish I had 1 flood and 1 spot. They are tough!
  7. chollo9

chollo9 Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer:
    D2s yes, Duallys not so much. I have one of each on my airhead and the D2 is worlds better.

[​IMG]
  8. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Re-read Okie Preacher and Boondox and go with Kristas. Everything else, IMHO, is second best.

Mike
  9. 2MnB

2MnB Missing

Oddometer:
    What are the lights going on? Dual-sport, night off-road tourer, Iron Butt rallye bike, or are ya after day light visiblity?
    The D2s are sweet indeed. The Krista's are amazing also.
  10. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Kristas are amazing but I still like my Baja Designs Squadrons a little better.
    Side by side, they are hard to tell the difference in light output. The PWM from Clearwater is nicer than the key fob one from BD.
  11. DRGNHTR

DRGNHTR Dragonhunter

Oddometer:
    I have the Krista's on an 08 rt and love them. They throw out plenty of light and are extremely well built. Amber lenses are available for foggy weather. And the frosting on the cake was the installation. The instructions were straightforward and they went in clean.
  12. mikemaycga

mikemaycga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    D2s are amazing. They light up the roadway and allow safe speeds (100km/hr plus on back roads plus they light up the sides of the road as well. They generally remove the fear of night time speeds. Also,if you need to be seen, say entering an intersection, a few flashes gets the driver's attention, even in the full light of day

However, they are not perfect.

1. They are not street legal because they bling oncoming traffic. It's actually hairy when you are blasting along a country road and oncoming traffic forces you to revert to stock lights. I will get a dimmer so that keeps some of the light on.

2. They don't focus the light to a distance. Within their range, they create a tunnel of light, but for speed, you need lights that focus on a longer distance. For this year, I will add a pair of distance lights as well. The combo will be killer. The Cyclops light looks like a good candidate http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839163

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  13. Motorman

Motorman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Rigids! I have Glendas, Kristas, and Rigids on my motor. Have not had any failures, however a fellow club member has had 3 failures with Clearwater Kristas! Yes, they were replaced, however, what a PIA.
  14. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the Kristas. Like mentioned above, keep them low during the day, could go to maybe 20% at night, but full on it's turn out the sun. Two features I especially like -- the lights are keyed to the high beams, so flash to pass is truly flash, and the lights are keyed to the horn, so you get both sound and uber light. :clap

[​IMG]

Low Kristas:
    [​IMG]

High Kristas:
    [​IMG]
  16. blitzkreig

blitzkreig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quad CREE XML T6 LED 3000Lm 12V off eBay ... not particularly legal I would guess. I haven't installed them yet buy YIKES are they bright!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quad-CREE-XML-T6-LED-3000Lm-12V-Auxiliary-off-road-Driving-Lights-Jeep-/251223721771?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a7e19c72b
  17. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    I'm a very happy customer with the Baja Designs SII LED Combo Lights I wired up.

Ridiculously bright, the two make the same output as a BD Squadron with Combo lenses + I have my HID conversion lamp. Small fixtures, only 22w each with Baja Designs quality and excellent CS.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/products/led-lights-led-light-bar/sii-led-light

There's a BD vendor thread that sometimes offers discounts to ADV riders to check out.

I mounted mine on the stock turn signal mount and have since went to HDB LED integrated signals, now that I'm running BD's there's no looking back!

Here's a few comparison photos shot full manual with my camera to control the exposure, what you see is what it is.

[​IMG]

The closest thing I have to the stock Husaberg headlight, a stock headlight on a CRF250L which might be a tad bit brighter than the OEM Husa/KTM headlight, but not much if I remember correctly, low beam.

[​IMG]

CFR250L high beam

[​IMG]

My Husaberg's 55w HID headlight only.

[​IMG]

Both Baja Designs SII LED Combo Lights only

[​IMG]

HID and Baja Design lights

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]