Send Money Honey - Idaho to Panama

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by sunquest, Jan 29, 2013.

1. sunquest

sunquest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bit of a late start to begin posting this adventure, but we're having too much fun so we have to share our adventure.

Left Sandpoint, Idaho on November 15th to spend Xmas in Zihuatanejo with the family. After my daughter arrived she and I decided to take a ride to Tekal only to prove that one adventure leads to another and have not made it to Tekal yet as we sit here in Liberia Costa Rica.

[​IMG]

^ Us leaving Zihua!
  2. richsuz

richsuz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey! you two.

Got it started as promised, now fill in the blanks! Nothing in Liberia, now head to Arenal from there. Windy, but nice roads. Stay in La Fortuna, and continue writing....
  3. 2xdisco

2xdisco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fantastic, to see a sport tourer south of the boarder, i have one, may take mine.

ride what you want and have fun.
  4. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Be sure to check out Pizza Pronto if you want some good pizza. The owner is a rider too.
  5. sunquest

sunquest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right now we are just south of Limon Costa Rica heading for Panama. Up to this point the VFR has filled nitch about 90%, a little low on the speed bumps nicks them, and a little short on overall GVW for two up.
    2xdisco just an opinion but I have always thought the superhawk one of the best looking bikes made.
    Trying to get my daughter to post some of the trip tomorrow
  6. sunquest

sunquest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, this is Bee. I'll be posting some of the updates. Here's a little background on us. My Dad, Don Cox, has been coming down to central America for the past 40 years. He's driven a little 924 Porch, and flown a Cesna Cardinal to Costa Rica. In fact my parents had their first date in San Jose, Costa Rica. Dad was on vacation, and my Mom and her dad were flying 30 head of registered Appaloosa horses into Costa Rica to sell.

Since then we also sailed a 72 foot sailboat of there's from San Francisco, CA, through the Panama Canal, and up to the Yucatan Peninsula. That was about 15 years ago though. I hope that we'll be heading back up to the Yucatan on this trip, because I may still have friends up there from when I went to school in Puerto Aventuras.

Then there's me, I'm 22, and I wanted a break from college. I have a little bit of experience riding a 200 XR Honda dirtbike. So when my Dad offered to let me ride on the back with him to Guatemala I had no issues!

Day 01 01-09-13

We made it from Zihuatanejo, GRO to San Jeronimo, 4.5 hours drive. The biggest event of the day was trying to find a toque wrench. Dad had estimated how tight to make the chain, but he wanted to make sure it wasn't to tight. We ended up finding some farmers doing work on their tractors that had a torque wrench and tightened us up to 45 lbs.

We spent $53... we want to travel cheep, but we don't necessarily have the patience to find the best deals in town.

[​IMG]

Day 02 01-10-13

San Jeronimo to Marquelia, 6.5 hours. Very hot drive, even the gusts of wind are freaking hot. We have little neck wraps that we soak in water during the morning. Those are a real life saver throughout the day. We stayed in Hotel Venus for 300 pesos= $24. It's a big orange building, with great A/C. We spent $50 today. Watch out for topes (Speed bumps!)

Another side note, we missed the turn off to get on the road around Acapulco. Going through there is very difficult, if you can avoid it, do!

[​IMG]
  7. sunquest

sunquest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 03 01-11-13

Marquelia to Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca, about 6 hours.

We drove through some very beautiful country side. The only issue I had was they put their garbage out next to the road and they burn it. The smell of burning plastic is rather unpleasant. When we passed through Rio Grand they had tons of the little yellow motorcycle taxis. Very neat spot to pass through.

Expensive day, $72.

[​IMG]
    If you want a REAL hamburger in Puerto Escondido go to Dan's Cafe. An American runs the place and knows about having a real piece of meat in the burger. Also a great spot to watch American Football. He has large speakers, and a big screen TV set up.
  8. sunquest

sunquest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 04 01-12-13 ...to morning of Day 06 01-14-13

A good day in Puerto Escondido, is having nothing to do and only getting half of it done. --Old Timer

Puerto is a great city to stay in. The room will run you 350 pesos w/out A/C, and up to 450 with A/C. There is a great beach that runs for about 4 miles. There aren't too many tourist either. It's where the surfers go. That being said, if you go swimming, be careful of the rip tide. We stayed at Vicky's Place, there is a great, I mean fantastic restaurant there. And only about 1 block from the beach.

[​IMG]

9. sunquest

sunquest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 06 01-14-13

Puerto Escondido, OAX to Zipolite. It's right next to Puerto Angel. 4 hour drive, maybe less.

Cost us about $62 today, 300 peso room, 180 fuel... lots of beer, and pizza too!

Zipolite was pretty high on our list of places to visit. We may have driven through it, but we knew we couldn't make it past Salina Cruz by dusk at the rate we were going. If we had kept going the hotel rates would have been quite expensive, most likely.

Zipolite is known for being a nude beach. Honestly most everyone keeps their suits on. The other aspect of Zipolite is that there are a ton of hippies, and young travelers from all over the world. What makes this a special place is that it is beautiful, there are lots of nice people, and it's a great place to meet other travelers.

[​IMG]

The water is warm, but I thought the waves were a bit rough.

[​IMG]

Great spot to catch beautiful sunsets!

[​IMG]

And there are performers almost every night!
  10. Haroon

Haroon RIDE for PASSION

Oddometer:
    Great ride and greetings to the father-daughter team.

Ride safe and keep the story going. I am tuned in.:clap

Note: I would suggest to change the font color from blue to yellow. Less straining to our eyes:d
  11. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Your thread has been moved to the Ride Reports forum..

Regional forums are used to post about regional issues

:lurk
  12. richsuz

richsuz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nothing to report, guys?