New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Picked up the new 690 today. Stormed the entire way up there and back, over 3 hours each way.

Got her home and read the manual for a bit. Changed the bash plate to the Rally Raid. Started to install the radiator guards from Rally Raid but decided to wait since I had heard a few rumblings about them not lining up with the shrouds. May wait until I take the plunge for the EV02 tanks. Also received the upper and lower tank bolts and will make the change after I do the initial break in.
    I decided to set the sag on the shock as the height was a bit high and it only had about two inches of sag from the dealer.
    Took the weight off the rear wheel and started backing off the spanner nut using a piece of key stock. Got it about 3/16" up and was afraid the spanner nut wouldn't last much longer with the beating so it looks like I will have to remove the shock and adjust it outside of the bike. That sucks.
    So I said screw it, I am going for a ride. I take off, from my tip toes no less, and went for a full tank of fuel and about a fifteen mile ride. I found that it tends to want to flame out if you chop the throttle while slowing to a stop. It tried to die a few times doing this and finally flamed out completely in my driveway. It was also hard to start afterward. No codes. Is this normal?
    All in all I love the bike. I can tell it will get stronger and stronger over the next 1000 miles. It's has that new motor feel to it like it needs to seat in.

Oh, and mine had MT-21's.
    So now I will need to order the service manual for removing the shock and I guess I need to go ahead and order the heavy duty replacement spanner nut.

Brad
  2. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you change to Adventure or Rallye shock with 300mm travel,and increase the forks from 250mm to 300mm,this will give 50mm extra ground clearance,
    It is not possible to get more wheel movement by changing the link length,but you can reduce it by either adjustment on our shocks,or a Kuoba link.
    At present we run modified EXC forks with most of our Rally conversions,until we get the new,longer cartridge sets from Tractive.
  3. DuctTape

DuctTape Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well Brad, if you went thru 3 gallons of gas in 15 minutes you have the first 2013 that's running rich. Mine has never died/flamed out on me with either the stock or FMF can I now run with the stock MAP and air filter. I get between 50 and 60 MPG depending on the wind and my right wrist.
  4. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha! What I said was a fill up of fuel and a 15 mile ride.:deal
  5. DuctTape

DuctTape Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL, thought it was strange but ya never know.:rofl
  6. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's great - thanks.
  7. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Normal, no, does it happen a lot, yes. Could be the dealer didn't do the 15 minute idle routine. Just disconnect the battery for a few seconds, then reconnect it, Start it up and let it idle for 15 minutes. See if that helps. If not, then a remap is probably in your future.
  8. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply, Albie. I will do the idle reset procedure today. I have Tune ECU but have yet to get the cable. The bike runs great other than the flameout I described.
  9. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
    I was having the same problem with the flame out in slow corners. I did the the tune ecu thing and wow what a difference. I recommend it ASAP even if you have to pay to get it done.
  10. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I've re-mapped my Triumph using tune ECU, but what exactly is the "tune ECU thing" for the 690?
  11. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Same thing basically, obviously there are KTM 690 specific maps. The dongles is a little different, you can find pinouts to wire them up since you already have a ODBII cable, you just need the KTM connector.
  12. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I've been running the Akra map in mine for quite a while and I finally played around with another inmates suggested tweaks to the map. Oh man what a difference! :clap
  13. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please do share. Can you forward the map?.
  14. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
  15. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is this a brand new 2013 bike?

Does it have an aftermarket (foam) air filter +/- muffler?

As others have suggested, this problem seems to be linked to inappropriate mapping - but if the bike is new then it would be sensible IMO to get the dealer to check the map and (if necessary) load a different one directly from KTM - mine is a 2012, and I had problems with the Akrapovic map from KTM before the foam air filter arrived and I added that to the bike - all good - the KTM Akra map needs both ...
  16. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well your description matches mine to a T. I have a brand new 2013. I had them add a FMF Q4 and re-map before pickup. I have a Uni Filter on order and will arrive on Tuesday. So hopefully the filter will resolve it. If not, I don't want to take it back as its 3 hours away. I have others closer to me but not sure I want them touching the bike, per their reputation.
    How did yours act? Inconsistent idle and occasional flame out when coming to a stop?
    Thanks for the post. I feel a bit better now. I also plan on de-catting it in a week or so when I can get away from work again,
  17. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, exactly these symptoms - you'd ride it hard into a corner, hit the brakes and the thing would die - not always - in fact, not all that often - but maybe 2-3 times each ride ...

In my case the inconsistent idle lead to an intermittent oil light flashing - i.e. idling too low - particularly when hot - still does this occasionally, but only when very hot ...

I'd just ride it in a bit till the foam filter is on there - you'll notice a huge difference in engine responsiveness with the foam (vs stock paper) filter - even more marked (IMO) with the RallRaid Twin Air filter kit, but in my experience that has some problems re' exposure to water if you don't also have the full ADV or rally fairing - I took mine off and went to a Unifilter instead, as that sits within the OEM snorkel and is protected - not quite as much breathing, but heaps better than the stock filter ...

[the motor roars with the Twin Air filter]

I don't know why they sell the bike with that stock filter - it would put a lot of test-riders off purchase ...
  18. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Hoots. You have been a great help. I will post back on this when I get the filter in this week. Hopefully that will do it.
  19. bruceca2002

bruceca2002 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hoots

is the filter you are talking about the one that is sold through KTM hard parts? The one with the 2 cones that fits in the stock air box. Thanks
  20. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe he is speaking of the Aussie designed one you can get through KTW Twins. Dual cone on a sealing mat that fits into the existing snorkel.