Krause Sidewinder Warning

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by buzybraza, Aug 23, 2010.

1. buzybraza

buzybraza Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had good experiences with sidewinder products before.
    I have even said in this website they are the best.
    My experiences were limited to other single cylinder dirtbikes I have owned using 520 sprockets and chains.

So now I ordered a titanium sprocket for my 950. When the package arrived (after 45 days):

1-The sprocket was thinner than the stock ktm stuff by just over 2 mm.
    2-There was no "slot" cut into the sprocket for the stock KTM bolts.
    3-The tips of the teeth were not "chamfered"

I was told about nothing when ordering.

They actually tried to convince me to run the sprocket anyways claiming their titanium stuff is much stronger so it can be thinner.

It would be like running a 520 sprocket with a 525 chain.
    Not on my bike and not on my dollar I don't think so.
    Refund was short $20 bucks and I had to pay for shipping back the stuff they sent me.
    Needless to say they have lost a customer forever.
  2. MommysLittleMonster

MommysLittleMonster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thats to bad
  3. Venturer

Venturer AKA klakeman Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. I had an even worse experience. With a dirt bike sprocket. Be forewarned.
  4. madbiker1

madbiker1 Evilman

Oddometer:
    I was considering Sidewinder sprockets for my imminent sprocket change. I'll look elsewhere. Thanks for the heads up.
  5. skipman

skipman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the sidewinder on my xr400r and 919,always had good luck with the rears. I have broke teeth off their fronts on the xr???. Thanks for the info i'm glad thats not the one i've got coming.I would have thought they would be better quailty.
  6. David37

David37 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had very good luck with Sidewinder sprockets, IMO they make a quality product and used them on my dirt bikes. Sorry to hear about your bad expierence with Sidewinder. I've also had good luck with Ironman sprockets, they also stand behind their products.
  7. Motomedic

Motomedic Over-caffeinated Raconteur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a crappy experience with Sidewinder the last time too. I also ran them for a while on my smaller dirt bikes, so I thought I'd try their 520 conversion. Not a good idea. The stuff didn't last, and customer service sucked. Do a search here for the relevant threads.

Never again, Vic Krause.
  8. dezracer

dezracer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me think its best to stick with OEM KTM hard parts for the 990 torque monsters.:norton
  9. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    I WAS going to go the Sidewinder route, then Supersprox, finally settled on the IRONMAN. Got it on my 525, and the thing is fantastic so I figured how can I go wrong with one on my large orange baby. Only thing was, I wanted a 45 but they only had a 42 in stock and the 45 was going to be a long way off. 42 it was. Back to stock gearing for the first time in, like, forever, and I have to say that I do like it much better on the road with the 17/42. Lower revs and all that.

Get an IRONMAN, you won't be sad.
    Chris
  10. HWSNBN

HWSNBN Banned

Oddometer:
    Playing a d00d, disguised as another d00d
    Sounds like they sent you a 520 sprocket for a ktm thumper with bolt holes bored out to 10mm. Thetes not so much difference in fact, I've made several 520 conversion kits using KTM thumper sprockets. FWIW, 520 chains work fine on the 9X0 V twins.

Also... Ti? Not the best material for a sprocket. Expensive, not so great wear resistance and highly elastic. Hard to beat hardened steel imho.
  11. MommysLittleMonster

MommysLittleMonster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    its not all ti, i thought the same thing when i saw that its a Ti-Moly (titanium-chromoly)
  12. buzybraza

buzybraza Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just want to make this clear once more:

Krause Sidewinder does not make sprockets for the KTM 950 no matter what they claim!!! Unless you do a converson full conversion down to a 520 or if you are willing to run a 520 sprocket with 525 chain, and also go find your own bolts because the stock KTM bolts won't work!
  13. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    They tried to do the same to me. They acted suprised and tried to convince me to run it. It was really sloppy, exactly 1/8" to be exact. It would not have worked and probably chewed up the chain guides and buffers.

So, I returned it for an anodized aluminum one they claimed would beat a steel one for wear. We'll see. Ended up costing me $25 more in shipping.

Was not impressed.

Next time it will be a tri-metal sprocket in the just released 44 tooth. 17/44 is the perfect gearing.
  14. Chilly

Chilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you look over on some of the other dirt bike forums, the sentiments for Sidewinder are pretty much unanimous. Fortunately I had my bad experience with them many years ago and have been Sidewinder free ever since. The super "ti-moly" actually started to mushroom the edges at about 20 hours and no they were not interested, claimed it was normal wear.

Love the Ironman stuff.
  15. GoNOW

GoNOW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got a stainless sprocket set and chain for a quad back when it was the latest thing to have. Everything looks huge and over built, the 520 chain is quite wide.

But the chain never did stop stretching and the stainless steel sprocket started to show wear. Not worth the extra cost for "the last chain and sprocket you will ever need".
  16. tcskibike2008

tcskibike2008 SnowHawker

Oddometer:
    Had a friend buy Ironman sprockets because lifetime warranty, we were skeptical for good reason, he wore out three sprockets in one year all of which were replaced Free of Charge, they finally cut him off after three. Guess they don't wear out only if you don't use them.
  17. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    How much does he ride, that he wore out THREE steel sprockets in a year??
    I've had one on my 525 for over a year now (granted, it's only ridden on Sunday's :evil) and it shows ZERO wear. NOTHING! Maybe it's because I'm afraid to wick it up?
    Not much power in that little thing?
    The smooth, pine-needle based trails that are the only place I ride?

Got one on the 950 now, and that one should last awhile too, since it also has no power to speak of, I NEVER twist the throttle hard, and it never goes in the dirt.

We'll see.

Chris