Yet another KLRE650...

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Krasniewski, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Krasniewski

Krasniewski I don't ride much.

Oddometer:
    OK, finished up what I thought I needed to do on the centerstand. It fit well, but the spring mounts had to be relocated. I did that, threw on some paint, and started on a skid plate while the paint dried. As you can see, I bought waaaayyy too much alum, but hey, it's not like it goes bad... it'll come in handy, I'm sure.

[​IMG]

Got to use the plasma cutter again - much better results this time, but still lots of slag. I found out my air pressure was way too low. It may still be low, or my amperage is off... either way - steps in the right direction!

[​IMG]

Welding was not going well for me on this stuff - got it good enough eventually - but man it was tough. Not sure why... I'm guessing operator error. :norton Anyway - the drain plug was still lower than all else, so I built a little workaround for extra protection.

[​IMG]

Ok, with that done, I reinstalled the centerstand but I screwed up the spring mounts somehow. No bueno. :cry
    Looking at it, I don't think I can make it work, which hasn't happened in long time. I took it off and got a little pissed... lotsa time and money wasted on that one.

Ah well... nothing like a GPS in the mail to cheer you up. :clap I'll have to see about a RAM mount to fit the big fat bars... their width is so annoying.

[​IMG]
  2. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    A few hundred relaxing miles again today.

Threw on a battery tender pigtail before the ride, which is what my heated vest plugs into as well. I didn't think I'd need it, but I might have died w/o it today. It was in the low 50's, possibly lower, and I didn't layer up at all. I am glad I had a balaclava and the warm gloves in the topcase. :norton The grips are great to have, but a couple more amps wouldn't hurt... when you're cold the gear is never hot enough.

First stop was the post office - SuperRio's got some shirts comin'! I raided your online photos - hope you don't mind.

GPS is working well, but fogged up a little today on the inside :huh ... it cleared eventually, but I wasn't stoked about it. I might throw it in a bag of rice to try to dry her out. Otherwise, it was nice to have today and got to hit some new roads as well as old favorites. Also a plus, I GPS verified that my speedo is spot on. :clap

Back out to Anza Borrego State Park in the desert. I tried to do Canyon sin Nombre, but there was too much sand too fast for my (lack of) skill level, so I found another path that ended up with just as much sand, but eased into it, which made me happy. Blair something or other I think it was called. Lots of hikers around - I guess there's some graffiti that's a few centuries old that people like to go see. Anyway, heard some rocks pinging against the new skidplate, which was nice. A proper christening. :D

The area:

[​IMG]

The path:

[​IMG]

Headed north and saw some local wildlife:

[​IMG]

Back southish home w/o further incident. The neutral switch is a little loose - the light flickered a few times. Came home after dark - the new headlights are workin' great!

Still wish I had a centerstand... thinking more about it, I can most likely make it work if the exhaust were tapered out just a little... ah whatever.

Edit: Forgot to mention - I think the oil leak appears to be fixed.. =) Also, at the very end of the ride, saw a KTM adventure... while the KLRE seems pretty quick for the money, the bark of that liter twin made me pretty jealous...
  3. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Ok, little thing was bugging me... the windscreen was clear all the way - so it looked dumb, IMO. A little tape, sandpaper, and spray paint in the garage in the AM.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

I got a cheap piece of CF in fleabay - I just cut out a piece to clean up the dash a little. Obviously, it would look better if I took the time to form it, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

[​IMG]
  4. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    OK - so a little background on today's most difficult tasking.

The bike was previously registered in my name in Virginia - whose DMV is the worst of any I've ever seen. People complain about California, but I'll take Cali over VA six days a week and twice on Sunday. Of the few problems I've had had with this bureaucracy, the KLR related ones stemmed from insurance. First off - state mins cost me twice as much in VA than in FL. WTF. Secondly, when you cancel insurance to switch companies or b/c you stored the bike, the insurance company is obligated to tell the state, who, in turn, sends you a nasty letter.

Ok, so I move to Cali and keep VA registration, which is legal for me, but buy a CA insurance policy, which is cheaper and just plain makes sense. The Commonwealth sent me a few letters asking me to provide insurance (which I did, but they won't recognize a CA policy), or to pay some ridiculous fine. I don't know the technicalities of registration, but since I was tired of the whole thing, I told these ass clowns that I sold the bike so they'd leave me alone. Well, I was going to park for a while, I was considering selling the bike, I figured I would reregister elsewhere once the tags were due, AND I almost never keep a bike for more than a couple of years (and I bought 2 year registration).

So yesterday I picked up DR-Z400SM project that needed some registering and a new plate (and pay late registration fees... that is the big suckfest in CA). I went the local DMV, which isn't usually THAT crowded, but it was a ZOO yesterday. Two hour wait at the least, so I decided to go home and make an appointment for today. Since I was already going there and the KLRE registration is up in December, I figured I could do the old 'two birds/one stone' trick.

I did an hour of the paperwork/waiting game, paid, and then the lady's like, oh, by the way, I just need you to go through vehicle verification, since the bike is from out of state. F in the A - I was hoping to skip this as I know I don't have a Cali emissions sticker (or any emissions equipment). Another wait in the verification line, where the guy verifies the info I already told them on a vehicle I've owned for years. Anyway, the fact that the engine was different wasn't a problem, the bike looking like a Junkyard Wars creation was AOK, the dash/mileage works fine, and the inspection guy only gave a 20 second attempt to find a non-existent emissions sticker on the McGyver bike while I played dumb. After another line to get another appointment ticket and another short wait, the fact that he checked "none" for the sticker section didn't seem to hinder the plate acquisition (which surprised me, as I've heard some bad stories regarding this). All ended well, just two and a half hours and $99 later... and they didn't even check my insurance (which I have).

After all that, I am still glad to be done with the douche canoes at the VA DMV. :norton

Back home I put the GPS (which still fogs a little) in a big of rice and decided to throw it in the oven on 'low' with the door cracked to get things moving while I got working on the other project bikes. All was going well, so I turned the oven off and closed the door while Uncle Garmin sat quietly on the rack. While I'm in the garage, the wife preheats the oven for dinner.

Long story short, GPS works fine (fogging TBD), vacuums work best to clean up rice, and never leave rice unattended ever again. :D
  5. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Happy Thanksgiving to all readers!

New horn is on, but the mounting is... zip tied for now. I blocked the back of the mounting point with the HID box. A few links are binding, so a new chain is on the way.
  6. SuperRio

SuperRio KLRE650 PILOT

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the shirts. I wear one every day.:clap

Keep up the good work.:freaky
  7. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    :norton Sure thing man. Let me know when you wear them out - I'll send you some more.

Was on the road for a few days, but got the new chain on finally... also took the slack out of the throttle cable and fixed the turn signal that had gone bad (turned out to be the connector - not the bulb). Feels like a new bike now. I've got a couple other projects I'm wrapping up and selling off - was thinking about selling this one as well to fund something amazing... as my daily rider, this one will go up for sale last though.
  8. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Flat tire on the rear today... :cry

I don't have a spare tube for the back either...
  9. Tenni126

Tenni126 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hit me up...I might have a spare.
  10. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Thanks man - swung by JP Motorsports (love that place) on the way home from work and grabbed two rears... now I'll have a spare (unless I pinch the tube again). :D I wish I had time to just give them the wheel and have them do it...

UPDATE: Looks like I'm back in business. New tube went in w/o too much hassle. The old one looked decent overall but had a pinhole in a small wrinkle... no nail, just wear. Weird. I'm pretty sure I asked for a new tube last time the rear tire was swapped out... that's pretty fast wear. This is why I like tubeless tires. I feel vulnerable with tubes b/c I don't carry spoons and can't patch a tube to save my life.

At least I had a compressor and was able to limp home last night and was able to borrow a vehicle for today.
  11. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Ok - FINALLY tackled the fuel weep... was not really fun.

Just happened to run across an in-line valve at Trophy Cycles in El Cajon (awesome place, BTW).

[​IMG]

Cut that baby in half and tigged her in:
    [​IMG]

The nipples tigged in reallllly easily and the welds looked nice!

I cut out the old brass nipples and tigged a plate over where they used to be. This was less easy, and the welds did not look nice - I ground them down a little.

The tank held water OK, so I put it all back together and had some leaks in both weld areas... :becca

Pulled it all apart and it took a few tries to get it right, but I eventually got there. Doesn't look very nice, but I'm very happy to have finished it.

Best of all, I rearranged the way the aux tank sits so that the fuel line is no longer vulnerable in case of a crash. :norton

I think the bike's good to go now - nothing really left that doesn't sit well with me. Maybe one day I'll dyno her, get a couple more ponies in there somewhere.
  12. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    2-300 miles today of twisty black ribbon. Cold out - started snowing at one point and there was snow in the ditch. Fun ride though! Good times with good friends.

Had an 'oh shit' moment as the rear tire is a little slick in the wet, but all's well that ends well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, leaned the bike out off-idle on the PC map - she's much smoother off-idle now and doesn't even stutter (she used to while warming up for the first mile or so). I *think* I fixed the deccel rich pop with the map now... the problem was that I was only modding the 0% throttle part of the fuel map, when at idle, the bike is showing 1% throttle or so, not zero. So, to fix the pop, I leaned out the 0 and 2% columns.

I bought "KLEEN" - which is a tank treatment that should fill in the gaps to use on the aux fuel pump tank. So far the treatment looks like it worked. Pretty much all the issues are resolved now!
  13. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Lots of rain the last few days - the plastic guard I made for the filter was lacking for filter protection, and the rear wheel was kicking up lots of water onto the top of the seat - so I made a new rear fender out of the stock front fender. It doesn't look sweet (no kidding, eh?), but I hope that this fixes both issues. Also, this one will keep junk off the rear shock, as an added bonus.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Added photo - also bought dash fasteners to plug the holes. I bought the biggest I could find, but they were still too small. I'm trying not to resort to duct tape... maybe electrical tape will do.

I took and added pics of the frame welds and added them to earlier parts of this thread.
  14. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Ok, windscreen buffeting has never really bothered me before. I've had enough of it on this bike though - not because it's uncomfortable, but it's just SO LOUD. I read the other day that a tall screen (which I already have) with a laminar lip (85 bucks from Happy Trail solves the issue. 85 bones (or clams, or whatever you call them) is worth it, but I'm moving here soon-like, so I was going to wait to buy it until I get into the new house...

...until, I ran across the factory screen while moving stuff from the garage to the new storage unit. Maybe I can just make one??? :evil

Can't be that hard - so I cut some plastic off the bottom of the screen with a band saw, and remove the backside vinyl; the leftover residue comes of with great difficulty, even with GooGone. The plastic I cut off will later be needed... in my infinite wisdom I broke the screen while drilling. Using the plastic as backing, I riveted it back together. Unsightly, but functional... I don't care what motor is in there - it's still a KLR at heart. :rofl

[​IMG]

Some scrap steel tubing will do the job - cut and waiting for paint:

[​IMG]

Assembled:

[​IMG]

A short test ride proves my troubles to be over... with wind noise anyway. Still thinking about getting the mapping set with a Dyno... I think I should sync the TB's first though. I've never done it - read about it a few times though. Seems simple, but it's been busy here lately.

Oh, forgot to mention, seeings how this is now my mx log - fresh oil today! 11.5k on the clock (not actual), which means 2.5k since the last oil change, I think. She probably didn't need new lube, but I like the way she shifts with new stuff and I'm losing my garage soon - so why not? Doubled up crush washers this time, since I really had to tighten the plug last time to keep her from leaking (thanks to my drain shortening shenanigans). What a day... great success, all around.

[​IMG]
  15. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Just some blue RTV in those fender holes to finish the seal off :wink:
  16. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Good one - thanks! :clap

I can't believe the amount of stuff I don't think of... or even know exists... :fpalm
  17. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
  18. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Thanks - I have some red, but blue may be worth the purchase...

EDIT: Ordered some and got it in - color matches right up!
  19. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Been a while since I've done anything but ride this bike. Been putting in all my time on finishing up my Scrambler project.

Tonight I busted out my buddy's borrowed carb stix (Motion Pro Tool) and tried to sync TB's for the first time. I can't figure it out - it seems the suction is simply too high for this tool. The Motion Pro website says "maximum vacuum rating for this tool is 40cm Hg" - service manual says that a 650R standard is 26.5cm Hg" +/- 1cm.... so that's not quite right... unless my custom intakes are jacking this up.

Anyway, ran through everything a few times. The brass jets are in the lines, the adjuster screws are properly set... I'm just miffed. The tool worked on my buddy's bikes previously... I give up.

Anyway, been thinking about having the wheels relaced... 18" rear, 19" front in tubeless would be great, IMO. I can't go too much wider though...
  20. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Well, this morning I put the tank and seat back on with no joy on the carb balance. I did, however, use a vacuum tube and connect the vacuum ports between the throttle bodies after seeing an interesting thread that I stumbled upon in some kwakker archive. I had an FZ1 once that had this done so I felt it was a good idea.

Had to work today, but took the lil' lady to Lee's Cycle Service. I've been trying to drop her off for a Saturday Dyno for a while now, but can never seem to get my ducks in a row for that. Now that I have my Scrambler project in riding condition, I figured I'd just drop her off and let them get to it when they can. On the way out, I was a little impressed that the KLRE did seem to be smoother and more responsive in the lower revs thanks to that carb link.

Anyway, the shop is pretty cool - not huge, but LOTS of customer bikes there - mostly sport/track bikes. I don't know how it's possible, but they said to look for my bike to be done Tuesday. The guys there were cool and all knew what they were talking about which was awesome - not something you often run into. They didn't laugh at my bike to my face, which I appreciated. High hopes for this dyno tune!

Also today I called Lemon Grove Cycle Supply (might now just be called Grove Motorcycle?) and talked to a nice fella' by the name of Chris about possibly relacing my wheels. They apparently do a lot of that kind of thing and are local, so I hit him up with some questions.

I want to go tubeless and 19/18" wheels, but the tubeless seems tougher than I thought. I thought I might get on the KTM/Guzzi train with the O-ring sealed spoked rim jobs or even a BMW type rim onto my stock hub. He said no joy on that but he had heard of people sealing their rims with adhesive with mixed results. I found THIS related ADV thread.

So, I thought maybe I'd have him re-lace my wheels, then I would seal them, but someone on that thread made a good point, that you might not want to try to seal a new rim, as things need to settle in. I you seal a new rim, you're likely to develop a leak in the first few thousand miles. Don't know how valid that concern is, but whatever. Also, if you seal the spokes directly, that doesn't allow for spoke adjustment... seems bad, but I don't think I've ever adjusted the spokes on this bike anyway. The only time I've done any spoke tightening is after flogging an old dirt bike.

Thoughts are welcome...

EDIT: Came across this conversion. Interesting, but no mention of price. As expected, no mention of the mighty KLR here, but maybe they have something that could work, especially if I'm going to a new rim.

OR, I could just be like everyone else and ship the hubs out to Woody's. They seal rims as well as it turns out... for $99 each.

What I'll likely do is order a new rear tire, which I need anyway, and try to seal the rear myself. We'll see about updating the front later, when the tire wears down.