the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. aardschok

aardschok Fallout Rider

Oddometer:
    You might could check with a sign shop for a piece of white vinyl for a few pennies. That's what I did for added colour to my helmet. Counter person says "I don't know what to charge for a 6" square piece of scrap, just buy something here next time you need a sign.":clap
  2. blk-betty

blk-betty bam-a-lam Supporter

Oddometer:
    Know nothing about machining. Are those welds "cleaned up" by hand or is it all mechanized?
  3. planemanx15

planemanx15 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finished installing my hayabusa muffler today and went out for a test ride. At 60 I pegged the throttle and the bike bogged down. I assume I need to go one higher on my Main jet? I have a tm-40 from procycle and it came with a bunch of jets. My air box is cut. I went from cut air box and stock muffler to cut box and hayabusa muffler.
  4. suguzzi

suguzzi Greybeard

Oddometer:
    When I did mine I used a die grinder with a with a carbide cone bit. If you take too much out it will leave the weld weak enough to vibrate crack. Once that starts it will break all the way around eventually. I ended up putting FMF Power bomb head pipe and Two Brothers mid pipe from Jesse at Kientech with my GSXR Can. Works great and the power bomb header has clearance at the frame down tube where the regular FMF oversize header does not. Good set up, very happy with the results.

You can grind the stock pipes' weld for somewhat more flow- which I did at first- but I really don't think it is worth the trouble for what you gain and the run the risk of going too far. I would never do it again in retrospect.
  5. sandwash

sandwash Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:
    I ground the stocker as well, did have some ugly lumps but I can't imagine my grinding did anything noticeable. I found an oversize FMF header on fleabay and am very happy with it, fit is fine. Probably added 10 hp :deal, not. But it does look much more macho than that puny stocker.
  7. Benduro

Benduro Carnavoyeur Supporter

Oddometer:

I'll have a spare stocker to send you as soon as I get the fmf powerbomb I ordered. Should only be another couple days before it gets here...
  8. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    I have never bought that mod as legit ... and I never did it. That's one of hottest areas on the whole engine. Also, some guys put a jack up under the header to raise the front. With a thinner header weld ... might risk it further?

But must admit ... haven't heard of any other cracked or broken exhaust flanges to to grinding down this weld. So who knows?
  9. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    A jack under the header? :huh
  10. blk-betty

Oddometer:
    Hmmm....I seriously doubt the previous owner did any grinding. I bought the bike with 3500 miles and it was 100% stock at that time. I've not done any grinding nor have I ever removed or even touched the head pipe/flange.

I'll take some pics tomorrow and post.

Just curious as to why it would snap like that and whether or not this is a common occurrence. So far sounds like an isolated event.
  11. blk-betty

Oddometer:
    So is it possible that I'm running really lean and it cracked due to excesssive heat?

Bikes seems to run great and carb is jetted per instructions with the ProCycle jet kit.

It does have a lot of red/yellow clay caked on it from off-road riding, didn't really think I needed to wash it like the Harleys it shares the garage with.
  12. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    I would not venture a guess on this. I suppose it's possible ... but as I said above ... not heard about this happening. Hope you get her fixed up and back on the road!
    :freaky Maybe another DR owner can compare your header area with theirs ... to confirm if ground down or not. That mod is on about 100 "first things to to on your DR" lists
    1. Header Weld Grind.

So lots of riders do it. I'm just not convinced it makes a damn bit of
    difference (in terms of power) and has potential to cause problems ...
    maybe?
  13. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    It might also be caused by forcing in some way your midpipe and muffler fitting. If it didn't just slide together, and had some pressure on it on assembly, it may have stressed the weakest bit.
  14. Ren20

Ren20 Finding Touge

Oddometer:
    guys, go check your NSU screws if you haven't. I just checked. one of them is so loose. I could turn it with one finger.

I did it without taking the clutch out. it was pain in the ass. they are now tighten and safety wired. I still consider myself lucky

bike has 7800 miles. 2001
  15. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    By hand.
    Before...
    [​IMG]

After...
    [​IMG]

Over 60% more surface area.
    May be more prone to cracking on the edge of the weld, but I'm willing to risk it.

Oh, and that was 5 1/2 years ago.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    so what ever happened to the rally fairing Safari was building?
  17. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    What type of screwdriver did you use to get in there?

I have about the same mileage and really need to do mine.
  19. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some folks use a screwdriver bit and a wrench. We used one of these with the back side of the "neck" filed down to give a bit more clearance. It's a little fiddley but works just fine, we've used it on three bikes now. Remove, degrease, and loctite one screw at a time or the whole assembly will want to pop out as it's got a spring under there.

Sarah

[​IMG]
  20. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:

good to know, need to do mine ASAP....BTW there is oil resistant threadlocker available, plan to use it when I do the job, especially if I don't remove the clutch basket

[​IMG]