Building the ultimate toyhauler!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by pvangel, Aug 10, 2012.

1. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    I was cutting the opening with a jig saw but when I got to the supports I switched to a Sawzall with a brand new blade and cut through 3 of the four support beams but on the last one the saw caught and kicked back hitting me between the top of my ribs knocking me back while standing on a ladder and knocking the wind out of me...still hurts!

I did put would blocking between the cut metal studs and PL 400 everything together and will PL the plywood on around that area as well as add some screws to stiffen that wall. thought about welding some 1" angle between the studs but think the plywood and my blocking will be fine.

I did work into dark pulling all the wires into the right spots so I can insulate the ceiling and hopefully install some of the finished ceiling tomorrow.

[​IMG]

I did get the lights today for the ceiling as well,

[​IMG]

So I have wires in place for,
    4 ceiling lights
    2 lights in upper cabinets(maybe 4 but the wire is there)
    Fantastic fan
    110 for outlet outside passenger side.
    Speaker wire to the upper cabinets as well but don't think I will use them, and no tv wire anywhere.
  2. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Worked all day on the trailer, finished up the electric"rough in",

[​IMG]

Foamed everything up, even the wires. Insulation is all done.

[​IMG]

Even got some ceiling up,

[​IMG]

I didn't make a good material choice for the ceiling, none of the ceiling beams line up with each other and it is so out of square you will really notice it because of the lines in it. It will look better after the lights go on, trim rings on the vents and cabinets.

[​IMG]
  3. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Wheel chocks showed up today! I have been waiting to put the floor down until these showed up so I can mount the hardware first.

[​IMG]

I want the washer to be flush with the flooring, this shot is with 3 of the pieces, only comes with 2 so I have to make up some spacers.

[​IMG]
  4. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Ceiling is almost done, what a pain it is to put up!

[​IMG]

This is the material that I got at Lowes,

[​IMG]

I know it is intended to be cut into 30" lengths and installed vertically in a breakfast nook in Buffy's kitchen but the material is anything but "Evertrue". It's warped and not true to size between pieces, add in a outta true/square/warped trailer and it's a challenge at best. I was going to use FRP panels but figured that this would be easier, I guessed wrong but in the long run it should look better.
  5. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Looks safe right? :shock:

Just testing lights....

[​IMG]

Ceiling is up!

[​IMG]

Trim rings on vents and ......LIGHTS!

[​IMG]
  6. zgfiredude

zgfiredude Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking good!

What are you doing for the ceiling to wall transition?
  7. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    The cabinets will cover it on the drivers side and I will have to do some sort of crown molding elsewhere. I know this material will expand and contract so I have tried to leave a gap all around the perimeter.
  8. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    I am trying to get done by the end of February or early March and the weather has been pretty good, next weeks weather is calling for single digits at night and teen during the day so don't think I'll get much done then.

So....I cheated. Home Depot cabinets are on sale 20% off, got 2 upper 30"x 18"x 12" cabinets for over the counter top and they fit perfect above the porthole windows.

[​IMG]

And a 60" base cabinet, it is 24" deep and If I was to build it I would have made the base cabinet 18" deep to save floor space but for the price I couldn't pass it up.

[​IMG]
  9. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Well it was a beautiful day in NY, 50 deg but the polar express is arriving tonight.

Got my "bond" or ground in laymans terms, double lock washers and double nuts, second is a nylon locknut,

[​IMG]

All the plywood back up as well,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also mounted my 110 outlets on the outside but no pic
  10. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Colder than a titches wit in NY tonight but promised myself I would spend at least an hr after work everyday even if I just cleaned the garage so I did! Even did some of the mundane chores like drilling out washers for wheel chock spacers....real exciting...but one step closer...

[​IMG]
  11. Xmoto

Xmoto Death Race

Oddometer:
    :freaky I have a van and a trailer I need to do this to.
  12. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    There has been a lot of discussion on another forum regarding properly grounding or bonding of a trailer to prevent shocks through the frame or "skin" of the trailer, So in preparation of my wiring I drilled a hole in the frame in a area that will be inside my base cabinet which I will attach my frame ground.

[​IMG]

The frame is all welded together and the skin is attached with a couple hundred of screws so should be continuity throughout.

After installing the plywood I now have a ground terminal to attach too.

[​IMG]

I will be attaching my junction boxes where the wires come through the cabinet and my converter will be cut into the cabinet on the left.
  13. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    I have to order some diamond plate and even the thin stuff is expensive so I wanted to do a sheet layout so I didn't waste any material($), this will pretty much use up all the material with no waste. [​IMG] 3 sheets of 4'x8'x .090 should do it.
  14. zgfiredude

zgfiredude Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to this phase! Diamond plate is your friend! :freaky
  15. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Work gets in the way of life way to much.....

Went to the Depot to get my other upper cabinets while they were still on sale, so have 2 30"x18 for above the base cabinet and 2 36"x12" for above the couch.

[​IMG]

And got 5 sheets of FRP, 2 were damaged on the ends but I knew that the front panels would only be 6' tall so I would be cutting them off any way and got them for 50% off, that and the $40 off on the cabinets saved me $75.00 today...

[​IMG]

Hopefully it is warm enough tomorrow to work on it.
  16. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    FRP dust everywhere! Garage stinks of fibreglass as well but an getting it done even though it is FREEZING out today, I put the heater on at 7 am in the trailer and after a couple hrs it was pretty warm in there.

[​IMG]

I read the directions and it said to cover the whole wall with a notched trowel, takes a lot of glue! (I did cover it all after this photo)

[​IMG]

Looks good!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will trim the top and diamond plate is going on the front.
  17. snofrog

snofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    WoW what a transformation !!!
  18. Dirtmongrel

Dirtmongrel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    pvangel,

real nice work, gonna be awesome when done.

just an fyi, FRP is usually cut with electric sheers not with saws. I hope you where wearing a mask, those airborne fibers are deadly.
  19. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    I didn't have any electric sheers in stock and tried to cut it with some large sheetmetal shears that didn't work so Skillsaw it was with no mask. That dust was everywhere (including my lungs), I hate cutting anything in my shop because of the dust but it was too cold out. I have the fibreglass in my eyes and skin still today!
  20. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Gotta love Ebay and Mr. Brown (actually usps but Mr. Brown(UPS) sounds better), my "reading lights for above the couch.

[​IMG]

And.... water fill and electric cord.

[​IMG]

Spare tire holder......

[​IMG]

And...... 16 gal water tank!

[​IMG]

After some homemade baked ziti(and grama Ida's meatballs) and another glass of Chardonnay I'm heading out to the frozen world to work on it...