2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. TCN

TCN n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Dude. I'll go out and get some thicker skin. I haven't 'meet' you by the way, this is the internet don't forget. Thing is, because this is the internet (thanks for explaining that, us uneducated types are still amazed by radio), you know nothing about me so your assessment of the 'thickness' of my skin is based on my unhappy reply to your arrogant slap down of the new boy. Most people who know me would say that I have the hide of a Rhino but also I quite like people to make the effort to be civil because it really isn't difficult....... What you seem to be saying is that because this is the internet you can be a bit of a dick? Fair enough. I think that because this is the internet and this is a forum for bikers, by bikers, about bikes there is nothing wrong with being polite to your fellow bikers. If my question or post is a waste of time then don't bother wasting your self-importance trashing it, just ignore it. Simple. Or perhaps you could be polite and use the 2 sentences you bothered to give me to offer up something interesting, useful or constructive.

Anyway, to discuss the second half of your post which was actually useful, I am really pleased that you have a low single digit price difference in Austria. That is interesting and useful information to me and I appreciate it, also it does give me hope, especially as I mentioned before the strong A$ should help KTM make solid profits without big price hikes. I take your point about the UK but I do believe that historically the 990 price has been around 10K in the UK for a while. As a Brit who lives in the middle-east and Australia I don't get home much so I may well be out of date with that.

Speculation can be interesting, in my opinion; but I am also well aware, of course, that discussing it will have no effect on the outcome. However, that is like saying we can't discuss next years Champions League because it will have no effect on the outcome.
  2. adrien mototribu

adrien mototribu adrien

Oddometer:
  3. Anders J.

Anders J. Electric Enduro

Oddometer:
    Prices in Sweden:
    1190 Adventure R: SEK 139 900 (USD 19 886).
    1190 Adventure: SEK 138 900 (USD 19 744).

As a comparison the price of the 990 Adv R at the same dealer was SEK 137 900.

Prices differ from country to country and taxes are different etc., but it seems that KTM hasn´t priced the 1190 much higher than the 990 - at least here.
    I think my Husaberg 570 needs a friend in the garage...
  4. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    It's ok bro (do you like that better than dude :D), if you really think that you are going to get something out of more speculation then so be it, even if I don't agree.

So speculate away, I've got a really important meeting to attend at the MiLk now anyway.... :rofl

PS: Just so you see that I'm not always a dick, here are some ACTUAL (note the capitals!) prices in Austria that I posted earlier in the thread:

990 A: €15,998
    990 R: €15,998
    1190 A: €16,398 +2.5%
    1190 R: €17,398 +8.7%

Not so terrible, eh?
  5. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    :war :gun1 :bash :gun2 :defend :tough :hung :loco :dhorse :ksteve :kat :fight :turkish :lurk :lurk :rofl :rofl
  6. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    The global economy is in the crapper, private sector incomes are way down, taxes are exploding and you think RAISING (I like capitals too! :D) the price is no problem?!?

I beg to differ sir!

You can apologize to me when we meet while I'm out riding my Adventure R in 2014! :evil :wink:
  7. TCN

TCN n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Anders for the info. Thanks also to LukasM for the prices in Austria. I'm hoping that my previous pessimism was misplaced and I will be getting an 1190 friend for my 450 EXC and SL Falco. Sadly I have a suspicion that the wife may force me to let one of them go if there is a new large KTM coming to the garage......Anyone in Oz want to buy an Aprilia SL Falco?
  8. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Keep the Falco.....lose the wife.....:deal
  9. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    I see what you are saying, but if BMW can sell 5-10 times as many R1200GSs depending on the market, I think KTM made the right move by changing their big twin to compete more directly with it, even if the price went up a bit.

Lots of riders who own big twins also own more than one bike, cars, and way too much other shit they could give up before letting a couple of % higher price stop them from buying a 150 HP big enduro bike. :evil
  10. Martynho

Martynho No more Chilegringo.

Oddometer:
    Look Squire, you really dont want to "meet" Lukas. I have had the opportunity and he is in fact the meanest, hard assed MF you could ever have the misfortune to meet. I once pissed him off only slightly (his pisco sour wasnt quite right) and he lost it and bitch slapped me, and I am 6 ft 4. Leave it, jus breathe deep and leave it...

BTW he knows fuck all what he`s talking about :rofl:rofl

11. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    You can apologize to me when we meet while I'm out riding my Adventure R in 2014! :evil :wink:

It's entirely possible you might see me on the new Superduke too.... not for long mind you. but possible.... :rofl
  12. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
  13. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  14. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:

You may not be in a position to notice, but prices for bikes in Oz are heading downwards, in response to the sustained strength of the $A. It is disguised a bit because importers are introducing the cuts with new models. Witness the surprise pricing here of the new Guzzi Stelvio (rrp $20K for the base version) and the Honda Crosstourer (rrp base $20K, DCT$21K).

BMW last month cut prices here substantially across the board. RRP on the R1200GS is now at $21,500 (and I think that is with ABS, which was previously optional). The Adventure version is $23,850. We can expect the new GS waterboxer will be about the same as the current GS.

I cannot imagine KTM is going to put the new Adventure 1190 in Aussie showrooms at a $4000 premium to the GS Adventure and a $6000 premium to the water-cooled GS.

[​IMG]

~ $A22,000 + ORC

[​IMG]

$A28,000 + ORC ???????

(Have been wrong before, but feel safe on this one. :lol3 )

Especially as their marketing internatilonally promotes the new Adventure directly as price-competitive:

Source: here at the ktm international website.

So, if you were were working out what to charge for the new KTMs in Australia, how would you line them up against the BMW offerings?

My guess: The Adventure 1190 somewhere near the new GS - perhaps a wee bit higher because it comes with wire wheels and off-road traction control, both optional on the Beemer. So, roughly the same as the current 990R.

The Adventure R 1190 perhaps $1000 more than the Adventure 1190. Which would leave it less than $1000 under the GS Adventure. Hmm, maybe it won't be that much ... :evil
  15. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just my 2 cents worth !

I suspect KTM believe the 1190 should be priced 'competively' with similar bikes - and by that I suspect they are looking at bikes like the new water cooled GS and the Multistrada. Possibly also the Super Tenere.

In the UK they have kept prices a little low on the 990 with little in the way of price rises over the last three years or so. Again in the UK the 'old' GSs are being sold at bargain prices with good accessory packages being thrown in to clear the showroom floors ready for the new models.

From memory the Adventure was at a similar price to the GS back in 2008 ? So whilst the GS has creeped upwards, the 990 became much better value for money.

So, in the UK, there is a sizeable jump in price between the outgoing 990 and the 1190. Can it be justified ? I think so. The old bike has had little more than a minor facelift in 6 years. The new one is just that - new. Lots of extra electronics, better sorted fuel injection, better ABS etc etc. And with new comes price !
  16. 990s

990s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. TCN

TCN n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your thoughts Moronic & Pebble. I saw the price drops on the BMW range back home. In particular they were quoting a A$5000 reduction on the R1200 GSA. Were they really A$29,000 before? Or are BMW playing games with RRP as they have been known to do in the past.

If the 1190 is competitive with the GS range on price I think they will sell very very well in Oz. I for one maybe a bit soft but would not have considered a 990 over a GS before - and I know the 990 is more capable off road and altogether more accomplished in rough terrain but I will mostly be using my big bike for touring - I have a 450 EXC for the stupid stuff. I think KTM will retain most of the core of 990 fans (happy to be shouted down here by the 990 owners) but gain new interest from people like me who want to tour but don't care about a stereo and electric screen. I want to be able to use all of the roads in Oz not just the smooth tarmac so a GS was probably going to be my first choice. The sports bike rider in me also loves the idea of having the RC8's twin on-board.

Obviously not many outside KTM have ridden this bike (hat tip to Bike magazine) so as ever I'm speculating but if it lives up to my expectations from what I have seen and read and the overall spec I think it will really take a chunk off the GS. That would be good for everyone including BMW in a twisted sort of way.
  18. pfy50

pfy50 Professional nOOb

Oddometer:
    Yes, they should look UP to competitive pricing, but the 1190R does not come close to all the frills, bells and whistles of the new 1200GS(I'm sure you even better than I know most of them:evil), (or aftermarket support); and that was not their original stated market. They wanted to be the better off-road Grand Tourer bike while BMW was more road than off road. They did it well and we're hoping they don't loose that market focus. Less frills off road usually means less chance of getting stuck in the OUTBACK:cry. So yes to the improved(NEW) 1190R that is NOT a 1200GS nor should be priced as one.
    ps. A KTM in the middle weight market would be nice:lol3; for those of us that go light and/or can't afford the full boat Grand Tourers
  19. RRVT

RRVT Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer:
  20. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ask them what it is in Denmark. 180% sales tax on motos. :eek1